Inlays + Ring size = ?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Inlays + Ring size = ?
Posted on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi everyone again! Been a while since I posted!

Any way I am a little confused on Ring size AR, SWG AWG So I figured id ask the community that got me addicted to chain mail!

I want to make a inlay of lettering first then pictures later. I have IGP the whole 9 but I can't figure out the size/guage/ar needed! To be honest I am a little confused on the calculations, I am terrible at math so it doesn't help either. So I know I want a nice tight weave, something like this
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/pics/24170superman_inlay.jpg

I like the tightness because it is going to be hanging from a wall so I cannot afford that wavy look that loose weaves give. It's going to be 4 in 1

So any recommendations for good sizes?

Also i am confused what is the meaning of 3/16 .63 I looked at the ring lords conversion chart i don't see anything on that

Thank you for your time

Submissions: 19

Posted on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:21 pm

ok

ring size is the thikness of the wire used and the internal diameter of your rings

AR or aspect ratio is the relation between your wire size and your internal diameter. to find this devide your internal diameter by you wire diameter and you will get your AR

SWG and AWG are gauge rating systems. SWG relates to the wires' thickness while AWG relates to the electrical resistence of the wire. IMO SWG is much more useful for maille. both of these systems can be broken down into a inches or millimeter expression of their diameters.

for example 12 ga SWG it 0.104 inhes and 2.64 mm in diameter. this is useful to know your proper diameter if you go with thin wire (welding wire) because thats the most common way of listing it's diameter, in decimal.

so the 3/16 (.3125") is the internal diameter of the rings used and the .63 most likelt means that it's 16 ga SWG (.063")

so .3125 / .063 = and AR of about 4.96
you can weave E4:1 at least down to an AR of 3.125

good luck and i hope i was able to help.

Chaos Est Vita
Scurvy free since '85
It's always night, sometimes it's just brighter than others

<a href="http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086">Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 Eo.f Feur MAg/Ti Wci$ Cbw$ G0.3-14 I1-75 N29.26 Pa/j Dacdjstw Xg16p5t2w1 S07 Hi</a>

Submissions: 582

Posted on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:32 pm

The inner diameter a ring size will always be slightly larger than the size of the mandrel on which the rings were made, due to springback. The rings used in that Superman inlay are .062", 3/16" aluminum and anodized aluminum. Actual AR is around 3.3.

before springback: 3/16" (.1875) / .062 = 3.0
after springback: .205 / .062 = 3.3

You can actually weave European 4 in 1 down to an AR of 3.0, or possibly a pinch smaller.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:43 pm

If you need some help converting SWG to Metric or Imperial, here's a chart that I find incredibly useful.
http://www.comax.uk.com/wire_gauge_chart.htm
(You might wanna bookmark that or write it down.) Wink

"My friend, it seems you're missing the filter that goes between your brain and mouth."

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:17 am

what amazing sight and chart ty very much

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1