Mentor Wanted for Senior Project
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Mentor Wanted for Senior Project
Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:16 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

My Name is Derek Moore. I am a senior attending Valley View High School in Moreno Valley, CA. I am in need of an experienced mail weaver to be my mentor for a senior project. They must be within Riverside County...or within 40 miles of the 92555 zipcode. I really need to find a mentor to complete this project. The main duties would be correcting my makings...basically teaching me techniques in chainmail creation and critiquing my work. I would make periodic visits to their location. What my project consists of for actual creation is a Hauberk and a coif. I am planning to do an 8-1 pattern...maybe 6-1 european sheet...for the hauberk. I am considering either 16 or 14 guage galvanized steel for the material. I was planning 1/2 inch diameter rings. For backround on what supplies I use...I go to ace hardware and pick up reels of the wire...then make the rings myself and cut them and link them. I have practiced hours before...making chainmail and I have basic tools (needle nose pliers, pliers...ect). Overall I know what I am doing basically, but I am working on advancing my skill in this craft, and a mentor is required for me to complete my senior project. I do appreciate you reading this. My cellphone number is (951) 489-7171 if you would like to reach me. Thank you.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:28 pm

sadly I live on the East Coast, but i'll warn you that a 6-1 shirt is hard to make, an 8-1 extremely hard. the larger the X-1 series gets, the less flexible the weave gets by nature. plus, the weave time is just significantly longer with a thicker weave. i think it would be much easier for you to make a 4-1 hauberk and coif (plus a 6-1 or 8-1 coif would be extremely difficult to make to fit the shape of the head).

out of experience, i tried making a 6-1 shirt out of 17 gauge 1/4 rings as my first project. the stuff had serious flexibility issues, it was way too heavy, and it just took way too long to make.

are you looking to make an armor grade suit or just costume grade?

also, the Knitting Circle is a great source of helpful info cause you'll get an answer to pretty much any maille-related question within 2-3 days.

Posted on Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:41 pm

Thanks...I appreciate it. It is for a realistic use...not for show. Yeah I was considering the wheight. I don't mind the time period though because the project is supposed to be about 50 hours at least. I wasn't planning to make the coif 8-1 or 6-1 though...I was considering just a normal coif because of flexibility. I was also thinking that just an 8-1 for maybe the breast and back and the main parts of the shirt that don't require much flexibility...but doing a hybrid...where the joints like the shoulders and everything would possibly be a 4-1 or something...I am still developing ideas. Thanks for your help though...I appreciate it.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 am

it's no problem. i can't help you with doing hybrid stuff, that's above my tailoring abilities, lol. i can tell you doing some hybrid stuff will be hard, but it will probably look cool in the end, but perhaps a bit different (but hey if we didn't like different we wouldn't maille in the first place)

if you decide for a simpler design, euro4-1 with 14 gauge 3/8 rings is very popular for hauberks. i made my shirt from 17 gauge 1/4 euro4-1 and it looks good, but it took a long time cause of so many rings

good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to repost here, post on the knitting circle, or PM me.

Jazzer

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:31 am

Thanks so Much. I will

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1