Need opinion on fair pricing, very confused and worried
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Need opinion on fair pricing, very confused and worried
Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:43 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have recently constructed a website to sell my pieces. I have a per inch price for my different pieces, and I was wondering if the prices are fair. I think you people would probably know best.

the site is
http://www.metalintogold.com/Products.htm

thank you, and I hope you guys can help!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:17 pm

There's no such thing as "fair". There's only what's competitive and what sells.

If you can charge $300 for a copper bracelet and you get people buying, that is fair price (for example, I know you're not doing this). It might not be the cheapest price those customers can get, but no one's holding a gun to their heads. If they pay $300, it was worth $300 to them. Is it actually worth that amount to any customers, and, in the process of shopping are they likely to find a competitor who's selling it for cheaper and meets their time/quality/service issues? Who knows. Depends on your area and your client?le.

To get higher prices, I think you need improve your website, a lot. The front page isn't too bad, but the individual pages are awful. The tiled background is an eyesore and many places I can't even read the white text on the whiter parts of the background.

I think a clean, crisp, simple site is best, where the only thing to look at are your pieces themselves.

Some of your photography needs improving. Images are grainy or out of focus.

Remember, your storefront will say about your artwork what it says about you. If it's ugly, poorly-thought-out, with little attention to details, you will have trouble selling your products on those issues alone, let alone usability issues.

I'd say your prices are a bit high, in general. Shop around, as if you were a customer. Know who your competitors are. I'd say if I was buying, I could find better quality at lower prices, elsewhere.

This might mean that you can't sell chainmail for an amount you're happy working for. I know a lot of people can't, and they just do it for themselves. You just might need to get faster and better.

So, there's my advice. Hopefully you didn't take any of that too personally. Keep working at it.

[Edited to add]

I know you only asked about pricing, but, I'll keep going.

I think your text should be rewritten, it sounds like a first draft.

I think your weaves setup should be changed, you should show product first. Buying by the inch is not intuitive. Go ahead and charge by the inch as an internal scheme, but don't make customers calculate it. Just show them products with different prices.

I'd cut all your text about the big ring vs. the small rings and the 1.5 and all that. It's not for industrial orders. Your buyers will probably be turned off by that. Just look around at other chainmail sites, and copy what they do well, then make it your own.

etsy
Posted on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:35 pm

I have friends that use Etsy.com to sell their work. I personaly like how the pages are laid out and it doesn't cost hardly anything to list your work. also connects you with other crafters/Maillers.

Just a thought.

The next one who tells me to relax and curl up by a fire is dead. ~Mirri of the Weatherlight

www.Mirricat.com
Updated website 2007-11-20

Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:06 am

Well, hardly anything is subjective. There's a trivial up-front cost, true, but the percentage they take is not insignificant. Especially if you use PayPal to take payment and they take their slice as well.

Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:14 pm

yes ok i can see how 20 cents to list a item for 4 months then if someone buys they take 3% then Paypal can take 1-3%

But I have found in my online shopping history that people are more willing to buy from a trusted site or at least look and see what is there and maybe contact the seller for a custom item more so then a website someone throws together. Yes you can get a much better deal going straight to the seller but with all the internet fraud out there its very difficult to know who and what to trust anymore.

Tho, personaly I would love to have my own site. you can do so much more with it and make it your own. But without lots of time and lots of cash to make it nice and pretty its very hard to start off that way.

just my thoughts of course...

The next one who tells me to relax and curl up by a fire is dead. ~Mirri of the Weatherlight

www.Mirricat.com

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Could you run a site with links to more trusted methods (eg etsy) as well as a option to purchase direct to avoid the etsy fees etc? that way customers wanting the reassurance of using a third party such as etsy have that option or if they want custom work or want to save a few dollars the can deal directly with you?

Just a thought.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.4 R4.5 Eo.p Fj12.2 MFe.s Wg$i C$p G0.5-1.5 I1.2-10.8 N16.16 Pt Dcejt Xa6g14 S07 Hc
Articles - Byzantine Speed Weaving - Poor Man's Tumbler - Ring Jig - Turk's Head Knot Ring - Wire Winding
Maille - Belt - Choker w. Padlock - Collar - Collar with Twist - Cuffs - Cuff 2 - Decorative Chains - DS Belt - Maille Cuffs - Micro Ring - T Shirt - Vambrace - Watch Band - Watch Chain
Non-maille - Ring - Ring Mk II

Posted on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:30 am

well what i would recommend then is on each item listed on etsy say contact me for custom work. or have 3-4 different styles listed in the picture and have it say contact me for exact pricing and colors.

after you talk with them then you can just direct them straight to paypal. and skip etsy, ebay or what ever all together.

www.Mirricat.com

Submissions: 337

Posted on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:01 am

I noticed on your site that 'silver' didn't specifiy sterling or otherwise, maybe you need to be more clear on materials.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Posted on Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:39 pm

Mirricat wrote:
yes ok i can see how 20 cents to list a item for 4 months then if someone buys they take 3% then Paypal can take 1-3%

Most "real world" commission shops charge 20-40% so 3% plus 5 cents a month is a steal.

Check out the articles section under business.

Here's a article for lapidary journal that helps to explain pricing.

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/archive/1199bus.cfm

And here's a e-book on pricing baskets that goes into extensive detail and is easily translated into other craft forms. It heavy reading so go slow and read it several times.

http://www.gratiotlakebasketry.com/Pricing%20Booklet.pdf

Posted on Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:20 pm

I think most maillers confused about pricing just don't want people to feel they are being ripped off, but still getting fair pay for their work. I personally like to get paid a lot, but I hate charging a lot, mainly cause I enjoy the work so much and it just doesn't seem like work to me. I mainly charge family and friends the cost of materials and a little bit more. I made a HP3-1 necklace chain with a FP cross on it out of galvy for my Gma cause she wanted to give it to my aunt for Christmas, and I only charged her $5.

Maille Code V1.0 T?.? R?.? Ffp6.1hp4.1 MFe.g Wg Ce G4.8/.5 I8.2/1.4 Pj Djcad S07 CCi
If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice.-Jim Croce
"Wherever he is, I hope he rolls good stats on his next incarnation."-Rich Berlew on Gary Gygax(so just how many of us read OotS?)

Posted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:13 am

If you just want to finance your addiction, charging "cost of supplies and a little bit more" is fine. If you want to make any money, or even a living there's a lot more to consider.

Supplies are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to business expenses, and for a business to be successful every business expense has to be paid through sales of goods. Anything that comes out of pocket puts you in the red.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:14 pm

I only got as far as the 4-1 sash page on your site and I have one comment - STOP apologizing for the price - stop it.

"...selling for the price of $60, due simply to the sheer volume of rings involved in making this piece."

Selling your work doesn't have anything to do with justifying the price. Explain the process, go into gory details of construction if you like, but do not apologize or minimize your efforts in any way. If you don't value your work no one else will either. AND, please take off that text that says "...and is relatively cheap to produce..." Is that you - the producer of cheaply made goods?!

Posted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:54 am

A blurb entitled "pricing explained" and giving a short and sweat account of your pricing system (once you've developed it) would not be out of line. It will give your a more professional air and assure you costumers that you prices are not drawn out of a hat.

"sorry about the price" comments on the other hand will mark you as an armature and devalue your goods. Hold your head up high. You are *big triumphant fan fair* a Professional Artisan. You job requires skilled labor, a fine eye for detail and a steady hand. Set your price accordingly. The customer can take it or leave it. If more seem to be leaving it then review you pricing and your workmanship.

Make any changes that seem to be indicated and see what happens. Keep in mind that a new arts/crafts business usually take three to five years to get off the ground so don't get discouraged. The more confident your behavior, the more confidence you customers will have in you.

Submissions: 19

Posted on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 pm

The way I commonly do pricing is thus; I time myself on howlong it takes me to make an inch at my maximm speed. I calculate by that how many inches I can make in an hour. Then I devide $10.00 an hour by how many inches I can make to get my base rate per hour. Add in materials, to come up with weave cost, and add 10%. Any clasps are $5. I do not count link production nor do I count coiling time. Both of those are my responsibility, to have the links on hand. So, I keep my prices down, and still get a faitr amount for my work. A 1.2 oz. 24" sterling byzantine, 20g with a 7/64 ID runs about $65 from me, with no beads and a simple lobster clasp. Roughly, $2.50 an inch. But, all they see is; Simple 92.5%sterling silver byzantine necklace, appx. 3/16 thick, 24 inches long. $65.00 +S&H. And a picture.

Well, that is what they see on the card at booths... My site is a little... um... outdated. It's a Geocities free, whaddaya expect? Coif LoL

Maille Code V2.0 T6.7 R5.3 Eo.f Fbyz MAg Whi$ Cew$ G3.25/0.55 I12.7/1.42 W24.29 Pa Dacdejtw Xa2g20p4t0w5 S03

^^^ Dude, this code is so out of date for me now... I don't even remember what it means! ^^^
The unintentional God of Chainmaille,
Brandon Cornwell

Submissions: 93

Posted on Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:25 am

And of course, as always, I'm here to harp on the articles.

Wink

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next