Inlay Questions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 0

Inlay Questions
Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Okey First ill say HI new to forums and all.

Now that, that's out of the way I am a little stuck on the "Inlay" Set up. I know I need like pob-ray i have that i have IGP also. But how do i set my self up. I haven't read anything on the Whole set up (Don't even know where to start really)

So what I grasp from all the website iv looked around I need to build the "grid" In a different program and port it over to IGP then using that program i color in the rings, that determines the amount of rings to color/amount needed in total. What confuse me I need to use the right size grid for my rings (14 ga 5/16). To boot i have no idea how to use any program to make the grides nore IGP. If some one could give me a quick run down on the whole thing it would also make my life a lot easyer ^^

Any way thank you for your time.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Okay. This is how I make my patterns for inlays. It is by no means the only way, and probably not the best one either. But it's how I do it. Very Happy

First: I find/make whatever I want an inlay of in Corel Draw. If I find it on the web, I use the Import function.

2nd: I alter colors, resize, whatever and make it work. Crop etc. No pic for this one.

3rd: I export it. I'll go step by step on this part. Change the JPEG or whatever to a PNG. Portable Network Graphic. It's the only thing I can get to work in IGP for me.

4th: Then I change the % of size and the DPI. (dots per inch). Remember, with IGP, each dot per inch is a ring.

5th: Click OK, because I don't know what that stuff does. Razz

6th: Click OK again.

7th: Go to where ever IGP is on your computer.

8th: Open it. It's supposed to be all gray with nothing on it.

9th: Go through there until you find whatever it is you saved it as.

10th: Double click on it and open it. IT WILL VERY PROBABLY ALMOST DEFINITELY BE EXCEEDINGLY SLOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!! Your computer did not crash. Hopefully. At least it didn't when I've used IGP. Try to close as many programs possible if you have a slow computer. It might speed it up a little.

11th: Save it as a Patterned Picture.

12th: Now right click on where you saved it, and click Preview.

13th: Now click the print button and get it here, to where you can choose how you want it to print. Don't put it on the Fax one or whatever it is that crops everything. That will make you mad.

14th: Now hopefully you're done and those pics on this post didn't kill your computer. Very Happy

THINGS TO REMEMBER WITH IGP!!!
-You cannot use white as a color! You cannot use white as a color! You cannot use white as a color! Use yellow or hot pink or puse green. BUT NOT WHITE!
-Each DPI (dot per inch) is a ring. Remember that. If you have 100 DPI, you have 100 rings per inch.
-Your computer did not just croak. IGP is that slow. You'll live. Go order a pizza or something and give part of it to me. Razz

How to change the ring type if you've got the design in there and done!

Follow the arrows. Very Happy

That should help with figuring IGP out, or insanely confuse you. Good luck. If you have any questions, just ask.

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Posted on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:27 pm

Interesting. A little confusing but cool ^^ Now how did you get that pattern thing to work. (In igp) when i start igp it gives me a error stats that

"A directory of patterns has not been specified. In the IGP.ini file add the key
'PatternsDirectory=' to the [general] section. Um huh? Hmm i can't think of anymore qeation because i need to get ready for father day ill come back later Coif LoL

I can't click on pattern Sad so what do i have to do to add the patterns in?
and thank you ^^

2 more questions if i may. when you
"Then I change the % of size and the DPI. (dots per inch). Remember, with IGP, each dot per inch is a ring. " What are you doing? like bringing it to 50% or just switching the way it is measured into, inch?

my second question i saved the file format and everything for a test run just see if i could open it up in igp. I get nothing just a little clear box thats very small.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:06 pm

I recognize that error. It occurs when all the files are unzipped into the same folder, instead of having the option checked to restore the folder structure as well. On WinZip 8.1, you want to mark the checkbox "Use folder names".

DQ, thanks for creating a tutorial, and especially for pointing out some of the pitfalls to watch out for.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:20 pm

It would seem that the file cannot be unzipped with Winrar Ill have to Down load Winzip.

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:32 pm

I am a little dumb lol Very Happy I looked at the picture of DQ's folder where DQ keeps the program. I was like why is there all the other files/folder? All i see is the IGP program. I used the Download ling that Z provides in his Sig, and came to the conclusion I did something wrong..

I down loaded just the program not the full thing! Surprised Sigh/ we need a /slap emotion ^^

Posted on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:04 pm

Is there any pattern for 14 gauge 5/16 ar 4?

Submissions: 14

Posted on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Quote:
What are you doing? like bringing it to 50% or just switching the way it is measured into, inch?

I use it either way, depending on how big I want it to come out. Or if I care about the size. Razz

Quote:
DQ, thanks for creating a tutorial, and especially for pointing out some of the pitfalls to watch out for.

Thanks! Very Happy I'm thinking about writing a tut for MAIL on it, is there anything that I missed or that you would like me to put in?

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 50

Posted on Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:24 am

I thought with IGP 1 pixel equaled 1 ring, yet you are saying each DPI is a ring. Am I missing something in the relationship between pixels and DPI? Or is there something that I didn't read fully somewhere?

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:50 am

yea i read some where where it said every 1 pix is 4 rings so it gets a little confusing ><

Submissions: 10

Posted on Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:22 am

Elemental Dragon, you've got it right; each pixel is a ring.

Druid Queen, please see above. DPI should be pixel. Also, you cover how to print out the patterned image. Would you please add that the print command that displays in IGP is non-functional? (It was a placeholder to show intended functionality when I submitted it for my programming class.)

Snipurs, there is not a pattern for 14 ga x 5/16, but the 16 ga x 1/4 patterns should work almost as well, as the AR is about the same. The big thing is to realize that the 14 ga x 5/16 will be 25% larger than the 16 ga x 1/4 patterned image.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Submissions: 45

Posted on Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:35 am

I think that statement on each pixel is 4 rings is from an article I wrote on how to convert 8-bit images (from video games) directly into euro 4-1.

I should probably point out in that article that it makes an image 4x the size... but it would be nice to do a version with just 1 ring per pixel first. That's on my "to do" list, but the rings I need don't become available until a couple more weeks (*tap tap tap*).

But cool tutorial nonetheless! Definitely very useful for those who haven't used IGP much/yet.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:20 pm

You people are such technofiles Razz

I do all my patterns by using a simple cross stitch pattern program.
Then I modify the pattern by hand.
Of course I'm insane, so I don't recommend this to someone with less than a day to just get the pattern right.

OK, so my first project was six-color armor, done without a pattern...What can I say? I'm a masochist.

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:59 pm

I use good ol' chain maille graph paper and MS Paint... then again I don't do many inlays.

I like to pride myself on my ability to use MS Paint, and it works just fine for me this way.

Submissions: 88

Posted on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:04 am

If you don't mind doing the pixel-to-ring conversion as you go, you can just take your tiny, pixelated image and magnify it to 500% or so. Then, using the 1pixel = 1ring conversion, weave with the original image as your pattern. Only problem is that, depending on how good you are at getting your printer to print magnified images without smoothing pixel edges, you may be confined to working in front of a computer screen.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next