G'd Question :: What do we have in common?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:02 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

lol, lately it seems as if I have metal in my blood...
1/3 of my day is Maille
another 1/3 of my day are on the internet
and I have no Idea what the rest of my time is spent doing, probably watching TV, Or thinking about mailling or the internet, or the maille community on the internet. Maybe some of it is spent sleeping, but I doubt it, I'm kinda an insomniac.... Wink

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:59 pm

Tojin,
I know exactly how you feel, thats pretty much how my day runs. Ya sometimes I get bored with life and Im like "I'm gonna go maille now." and I retreat to my room for like six hours mailling. Its fun.

Deimos

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:35 pm

Apparently, we all have a penchant for responding to silly generalized questions Wink

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 59

Posted on Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:39 pm

When I'm making chain maile, from the rolling of the rings to the final butting, to cutting and weaving it into whatever form I want...I feel like Hephaestus, the Greek smithy God, hammering out thunderbolts for Zeus. It's this long, quiet rush, making a sheet of flexible metal, running your fingers over the spinning rings.

One of my self-Runes (ask me another time about Runes) relates to Patience, so making chain maile is a great way to utilize that patience. What's more, I'm left-handed (very right-brained) and I'm a writer, not an artist, so making chain maile is a good way for me to be visually creative, instead of just verbally.

Besides, it's COOL! I bet everyone here's with me on that one. Smile

Submissions: 99

Posted on Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:34 pm

i dont get such grand fantaceys about it but yeah it is really impowering

Submissions: 17

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:37 am

I got up early yesterday afternoon, 14:00, when I usually get up at 18:00 (I work third shift, 23:00 - 07:00) because I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about the brass trim around the collar of a hauberk I'm working on. Gave up, got up, got dressed and got my pliers. Got the brass done. It's 12g around the collar, both for strength and so it'll show up better. The hem and sleeve dags will be done in 14g brass. The hauberk itself is 14g shiny galvy. All of it's in 3/8" rings. I keep a journal, and sketch out the stuff I see in my dreams. I have a jacket I'm going to make someday, that, if I can reproduce what I saw in the dream, will totally =rock=.

So how many of you dream about maille, or literally dream up your designs?

Maille code: V1.0 T7.2 R5.1 Fe4.1 MAl.a Wc$ Cabe$ G1.5/0.6 I9.5/1.4 Pj Dacdjs S84
andrew.ragland@gmail.com

Submissions: 9

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:27 am

Tarliman,

Some of my inspiration come from my dreams. I just toyed around with Inverted Roundmaille because of an idea I had in my dream. I was trying to make a 3/4 Inverted Roundmaille Sheet (sounded really awesome when I thought of it and started visualizing it in my head)...what it wound up becomming, when I did everything, was Corduroy (Gridlock). :x At least I now have a better understanding of both weaves...even though my dream was dashed like a rowboat upon the jagged rocks of life. :cry:
Ah well, such is the nature of experimentation. :-)

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 6

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:53 pm

I rarely dream but i do get sudden flashes of inspiration at all times of the day,

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Submissions: 12

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:21 pm

yeah unfortunately for me i am also one of those people who don't have R.E.M. (dream) sleep, i go straight to deep sleep, but i daydream :lol:

It doesn't matter what it says on your tombstone, having one means your dead.

Submissions: 21

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:59 pm

So the answer is.. Mailleing is the way that we all relax wether it be from boredom or from a hyper tensive day the thing in common here is that we realize that by working small to a larger object is relaxing... The theory of this doesn't really work. Oh well. Myself I would say Maille is realxing doing what I do is fast paced roadrunner hectic and such a small task of pick up ring close ring pick up ring two put in ring one close and so on is a good sedative.
Wink Rolling Eyes Razz Embaressed Crying (very sad) Evil or Very Mad Mad Laughing Uber Confused Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised
sorry went click happy on the emoticons. *returns to mailleing*

I am the reader,the watcher and the writer of my own life.

Submissions: 59

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:23 pm

I'd like to ask everyone some questions to get a better idea of what links us all together.

- Would you consider yourself "eccentric"? Do others?
- Do you find yourself coming up with answers for things your friends never thought of?
- Other than chain maile and SCA-related things, do you have any "odd" hobbies (throwing knives, shooting, magic, etc)
- What kind of music do you like to listen to while mailleing - if at all?
- Did you ever obsess over the game "Tetris"?
- What is the strangest project you ever undertook - other than maille, of course Smile

Answer as few or as many as you like - I think that we might be surprised. Smile I might add other questions in the future.

Submissions: 82

Posted on Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:30 pm

great idea Runviki!
Sorry, i wouldnt consider myself eccentric, but i have my moments. Very Happy
That's a definite on #2.
I practice herbalism...does that count as a wierd hobby?
Mostly Rage against the Machine right now, seems fitting to the world situation.
tetris? whoa dude, your living in 1988 man!! Get with the times... Razz
Strangest project? i dunno, rigging up my TV/stereo/VCR/Phone to one set of head phones i suppose....

There are only 2 things in life that we can be assured of: Somethings will never stop changing, and some things will never change.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:39 am

- Would you consider yourself "eccentric"? Do others?
Yes; they probibly wouldn't use the word "eccentric"...
- Do you find yourself coming up with answers for things your friends never thought of?
"chainmaille" Very Happy
- Other than chain maile and SCA-related things, do you have any "odd" hobbies (throwing knives, shooting, magic, etc)
Magic the Gathering is normal, I make other jewlery, I am obsessed with the Dune books, and many others, am obsessed with dragons Very Happy
- What kind of music do you like to listen to while mailleing - if at all?
The Church (not christian music, there is also some stuff by them (or Him) under the name "steve kilbey", His name), The Damned, when in a bad mood music such as Slipknot, Disturbed, Mudvayne, Godsmack, Rammstein
- Did you ever obsess ver the game "Tetris"?
*is scared*
I was just doing that today in my computer class...
but it was on a stupid thing that had some special brick (a single one) that took out any brick it touched, but it kept coming back despite my curses towards it... I HATE IT!!!
- What is the strangest project you ever undertook - other than maille, of course
... ?

But that tetris thing is scary...

Do any of you know any good website with a good flash tetris game?

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:41 am

RunVitki,

1. Yes and yes.
2. Yes, I am often the guy that my friends go to for "new ideas."
3. Depends on the definition of "odd." My intense fascination with the martial arts could be considered "odd" I suppose.
4. Mostly Classical (the few times that I actually do listen to music. Sometimes the 70s Rock band Emerson, Lake, & Palmer.
5. TETRIS ROCKS!
6. I suppose that designing a bobsled that could, within one minute, be broken down into two suits of simple Roman style armor would be a craziest project.

Peace,

Matt

'Tis true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
- Joseph Carey Merrick, "The Elephant Man"

Submissions: 24

Posted on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:57 am

lmao, you actually did that, Matt??? Omg!

And RunVitki, that thing with being the Greek god is great!
As for runes, what are 'self runes'? Is it a normal one that has a meaning that relates to yourself?
And how about a maillie rune set? I've been thinking about that... say anodised ti or ssteel and black ssteel? ... *wanders off chanting a chant from incubus succubus*

Yea for the left-handed mailler freaks!

Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.

Watashiwa nihongogo wakarimassen.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next