G'd Question :: What do we have in common?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 2

G'd Question :: What do we have in common?
Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:14 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Some people have told me that I have too much time on my hands, or that I"m too patient. I don't think that that's really true, but it made me think of this Generalized Question:
What things do we maillers have in common which make us different from non-maillers?(apart from maille of course Smile) Some people have gotten started into maille and given up - what made us and other maillers different from them, which caused us to keep going?

Submissions: 82

Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:47 am

yea, that's one of the things that i get the most, " I wouldnt have the patience for that, it'd be out the window in minutes"
For maille, i have patience, because it really is just something i enjoy doing. For other things in life, i just dont have patience. Like school for example, my bio work was too frustrating, so i tore up the page.
The other most common thing i hear is "your crazy" which i think none of us can deny Very Happy

Submissions: 17

Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:42 am

For me, it's therapeutic. I have adult residual ADD, and hypomanic bipolar disorder, meaning I'm spastic, and have depressive cycles without the happy manic cycles in between. There's days where I have to get my pliers out and make something or I;ll start screaming and be unable to stop. Beyond that, however, I also have the "zoom lens" effect seen in many ADD people, where once something gets my attention, it gets =all= of my attention, possibly until somebody deliberately interrupts what I'm doing. As well, I have a massive need for right-brain activity, which maille supplies, since I work in a very left-brain job as a system admin. If i don't do something creative on a regular basis, I start to burn out at my job. Well, that brings it full circle to therapy again. Smile My doctor is interested in how I'm using maille as occupational therapy to go along with the other interventions. Next time I go see her, she wants me to bring some finished pieces along. I think I'll take the big votive lantern, it'd look great in her waiting room. Very Happy

Submissions: 15

Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:21 pm

one thing seperates us from non-maillers, we're so close to the edge of insanity, that putting thousands of tiny rings together for hours on end seems like the next logical step.

Submissions: 12

Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:33 pm

i'm wondering, becasue i also have ADD (and have used behavior modification instead of medication), and most people think that you wouldn't be able stick with something becasue of this...but i find it relaxing and something i CAN do for long periods of time....anways.....
how many people here have ADD, ADHD, or show symptoms of these disorders?

Submissions: 7

Posted on Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:10 pm

I think it's the not patience really, more boredom. We, well I, have to be doing something all the time and maille fills that need. I was twitching my foot once while riding in a car, and a friend asked me what I was doing. When I told him I was putting my foot down when there was a curb and up when there was a driveway or a road he asked me if I was really that bored.

Umm yeah, I guess, I never really thought about it.

Submissions: 10

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:10 am

I find that when I am mailing nothing much bothers me. Strangely enough I find the therapy mentioned before is most likely, I find when I am angry or depressed I can accomplish much more maille then when things are going well. I do like the response that people have to what I have done. (ohoooos and ahhhs). I even like the people treating me like I have lost my mind somehow I feel accomplished when people think I must be crazy to do this. I guess they are right.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:02 am

Serpentine,

Mostly I would say it is a desire to create. To me there is nothing else better than the wonderful feeling of having created something with my own hands. I create for the sake of creating, not for any other noticable reason.

shark_ef,

I show symptons of ADHD, if I am not constantly doing something my mind wanders and I wind up getting nothing done. Maille gives me something to do when I have "nothing to do." Smile

Peace,

Matt

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:35 am

I think that it is like welding. It lets you take your mind off of the daily grind. I find that in my crazy amont of hobbies that Maile is the one that calms me and lets me relax.
Also I think we like to make things and then show what we have made.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 5:39 am

Well I do maille manily because its cheap and it makes me happy. I find that when I used to play counter strike (what filled the time for maille when I didnt maille) I was much more unhappy. I would play cs when I got mad then get madder when I did bad. But with maille its really hard to get mad at it unless i am trying a new weave. I think it really helps to calm you down and take things in stride. Maille is not just a hobbie its a way of life.

Lee

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:33 am

Thankyou everyone.
I would reply indiviually to you but that would take 9 replys.
I don't have ADD or ADHD as far as I know (not that I've checked) and I don't usually feel like what Tarliman's got, but I can connect with all the other replies. For me it's as if it fills the gap of boredom with something creative.

Submissions: 7

Posted on Sat Mar 29, 2003 10:46 am

hmm.. i guess i like mailling because i like maillling(lame). so another thing we havein common is that we all like mailling. yeah, it's really cool to look at a maille article and say to yourself: it used to be yards and yards of wire!!! there's this really satisfying sense of accomplishment that drives everything nasty that happened to me out of my brain.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:14 am

This may sound sarcastic, but it may also be true, depending on how much maille you make!

two little words: Metal Poisoning

I know i was sick for a few hours after weaving my haubergeon(galvy, for around six hours!), which by the way is almost finished as a full hauberk

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:57 am

Maybe we are all addicted to metal, or maybe we are bored with life? I know I am sometimes.

Deimos

Submissions: 93

Posted on Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:22 pm

You are?
Addicted to metal, or bored with life?

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

— George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 6. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next