Just starting out and have a few questions
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Just starting out and have a few questions
Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi, I'm just starting out in maile making and have a few questions. First I'm also a begaining jewler so I work with hard and soft soders... and was wondering do you all soder your rings shut? Or just make them tight enough that they won't break? Second, is there some way to color your metal? I know you could probably plate it, but that's pretty expensive to do. Maybe there's some colored wire I could order from a supply outlet? Anyway I'm having alot of fun working these rings, and appricate any help with my questions.

Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Well I work with jewelry and dabble in armour but for you first questions I don't use solder of any kind at all and have no problems with rings opening as long as they are saw cut. For your second question http://www.theringlord.com/ has many different colored rings and they aren't that expensive. They have the best selection and prices that I've seen.

If you need anymore help don't be afraid to ask.

Justin the Wolf

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:20 pm

Hello! And welcome to MAIL! Very Happy

First off to answer your questions about the soldering: Yes you can solder rings. Some people do this when they work with precious metals in very small sizes that they don't want to fall apart. Some people do this with armour that they don't want to fight in and have it fall apart. Okay, so the armour guys weld it, whatever. I don't do any of that because my dad doesn't trust me with welding machiene/soldering iron.

BUT he does trust me to attempt to build an anodizer! Very Happy This is the best way for colored rings. It will put an electroplating on titanium, niobium, and aluminum. The first 2 will cause it to color the wire. The 3rd will need to be dyed.

You can also use enameled copper rings, which I ♥ too. The only problem with them is I scratch them all the time. Maybe it's just me.

If you want to bypass the 3rd paragraph, you can simply buy these rings precolored from:
www.theringlord.com (I use them for all my rings. They're very nice to work with, especially when you order the wrong stuff...::walks off whistling:Smile
www.13rings.com (I've never ordered from here, but they do sell AA)
www.metaldesignz.com (Once again never worked with, but they have a ton of stuff)

Good luck, and hopefully you find some of what you're looking for! Very Happy

I'll rise, but I won't shine.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:01 pm

remember, NEVER solder galvy unless you have a ventilator on, not just a mask, but a real ventilator, zinc oxide fumes are VERY toxic

Posted on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:06 pm

hey welcome to chainmail

i work in mainly small pieces or jewlery and i do solder but only sterling silver. for example i solderd a HP 4-1 bracelet and its pretty nice

and now im working on a alluminum 1/4 18 SWG hauberk its not really the smartest idea cause its weak but its working

Submissions: 1

Ahem! A-HEM!!
Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 am

Galvy fumes are not THAT toxic, and I really wish people would stop irresponsibly trying to scare folks that bad. You're not talking beryllium dust here, f'Pete's sake -- that's toxic. They are, however, quite noxious, giving you the mother of all headaches and a twitch.

Which go away in a day or so.

Zinc vaporizes at red heat. So don't weld galvanized stuff. Don't ask a welder to weld galvanized stuff unless you really enjoy being called names. They have dominatrixes for that kind of thing, you know. Well, not the welders -- they don't usually have that kind of money, nor any taste for that sort of thing. Coif LoL

Very heavy exposure to breathing vaporized zinc can kill, and has, by giving the unfortunate fellow it last happened to a deadly case of pneumonia -- on top of an already existing case of emphysema IIRC. You can find an account of this case somewhere on Anvilfire.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:21 am

Hard solder would be recommended for silver wire mail. Silver is soft like lead and needs all the structural help you can give it.

Soldering steel is useless. This material needs welding if you're going to make serious killer mail. Or you can go at it old-school and rivet it as our forebears did.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1