Coloring steel rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 29

Coloring steel rings
Posted on Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:29 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey i am new to the whole chain mail thing, and i am working on a shirt/trench coat, and i was wanting to add some color to it. So i was wondering if you knew other ways to get diffrent collors of steel, like red, blue, orange, yellow. Any help would be greatly appreacheated

coloring galvy
Posted on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:18 pm

i need help please

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:01 am

Heating the rings to certain temperatures will color them... But if you're using galvy, the zinc fumes could kill you...

Submissions: 582

Posted on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:37 am

If it's galvy you're using, you can turn the rings a very dark grey- almost black if you soak the rings in either hydrogen peroxide, or lemon juice, or a combination thereof for roughly 20 - 30 minutes. If you leave the rings in too long, the zinc coating will completely strip off and you will be left with plain steel rings. Any experiment with modifiying rings in any manner such as this should be done with a small test batch first.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:38 am

If it's galvy you're using, you can turn the rings a very dark grey- almost black if you soak the rings in either hydrogen peroxide, or lemon juice, or a combination thereof for roughly 20 - 30 minutes. If you leave the rings in too long, the zinc coating will completely strip off and you will be left with plain steel rings. Any experiment with modifiying rings in any manner such as this should be done with a small test batch first.

coloring galvy
Posted on Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:27 pm

i know how you can turn the stuff black, but i was thinking of making it diffrent colors like red or blue, i know that you can put steel in melted salt to change the color of them but that is tricky, havent done it before, but it seems hard. well thanks for the tips to change it to black/gray

Submissions: 19

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:26 am

if you strip the zinc of then you can temper the rings which will color them(and also make them softer)

they will change color in the folowing order

dark straw
straw/gold
bronze
purple
green
blue

after that it goes back to it's original color and will be fully annealed.
sadly with all my attempts at hardened colored metal, once i quence the rings they all loose their color so there is no way to keep them colored and hard at the same time. but you can get some VERY nice looking rings by heating them like that but they Will loose strength as armor(but will work well for jewelery)

good luck and be careful

Chaos Est Vita
Scurvy free since '85
It's always night, sometimes it's just brighter than others

<a href="http://mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=55086">Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 Eo.f Feur MAg/Ti Wci$ Cbw$ G0.3-14 I1-75 N29.26 Pa/j Dacdjstw Xg16p5t2w1 S07 Hi</a>

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:39 pm

Actually, the rings will turn blue before they turn green....and then *clear* which is just the silver color again, and the steel will be so soft that its almost pointless to use it.

I've developed a way to color the rings and still have them retain a certain amount of strength. Sadly, once you hit any color above purple/dark blue they start to soften enough its not practical for use in armor except for trim and jewelry, though I have had light blue/green rings with a small ID work in fingerrings and such without any seeming disability.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:14 pm

David_Austin wrote:

I just tried this and it doesn't work at all... My rings turned WHITE. The white rubs of quite easily and it smells really really bad. Was my H2O2 not strong enough perhaps?

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]
- Gaius Iulius Caesar, De Bello Gallico I 3

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:40 pm

what kind did you get

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm

I used a 3 % solution. After about 20 minutes I couldn't see the rings anymore because of the trouble white solution they were in. I took a ring out of the fluid and cleaned it. And all I saw was a nasty white/light grey ring... Confused

Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae. [Of all these the Belgians are the bravest/strongest.]

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:39 pm

are you sure that you are using a galvy ring, because i think that might be an AL right. But people also say that they get white stuff also, but i havent ever had it on mine

i tried a 25% H202 and it blacked in a few seconds, and you need to get it out quick or all the zinc will be taken off

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I'm really sure it's galvy. The label of the spool says 'galvanized steel' and it weighs much more than Al.
Well, maybe I'll try it again tomorrow after my exam. Whish me luck, 'cause I'll need it. It's a combined examination of parasitology, virology, mycology and antibiotics... Horror !!!

Posted on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Perhaps try it for a shorter period of time. I've only actually tried this with lemon juice, others have used peroxide. I know with lemon juice it used to take 1/2 hour or so. I've also noticed that some galvanized steel from a different spool didn't work at all. And certain brands of lemon juice didn't work as well. Weird.

Posted on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 am

My examination went pretty well.

So now I'm trying with lemon juice. The rings are in there for 10 minutes at the moment. Small gass bells are forming on the rings... (Zn + 2H+ -> Zn2+ + H2)
We'll wait and see.

I also started this method:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=18020
I'll have to wait a couple of days for the result of this one.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next