Guitar strings rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Guitar strings rings
Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:57 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, I'm completely new to maille of any form... but I was wondering if anyone has tried using guitar strings to make rings? I tried but with little luck, probably because I have no clue what I'm doing, but anyway... thanx for any help!

~The Horizontal
& The Vertical Coif LoL

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:36 am

No, and don't try, I HAVE a guitar. 1) they're WAY too expensive 2) they're not always the same gauge. How do you think they stretch and contract from thermal expansion/contraction? 3) They wouldn't hold their shape. They're really wimpy. 4) it's just a metal wrapped around a metal, it would fall apart if you tried to make rings out of it

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:42 am

Okay... well that pretty much destroys that idea... thanx for the advice NinjaTails.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:58 am

I suppose it'd be possible if you used G,B, and high E, they're generally not wound. I couldn't tell you what to use as a mandrel, though.

Hey, what if you cut all the rings off one of the wound strings? Never even thought about that. I want guitar maille!

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:02 am

C?chulainn wrote:
Hey, what if you cut all the rings off one of the wound strings? Never even thought about that. I want guitar maille!

That would be a good idea, but unfortunately, the ar would be way too small to make anything out of it. Even for a 1-1 chain.

Every rose has its thorn,
Just like every night has its dawn,
Just like every cowboy... has a pony

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:10 am

I really don't know much about maille, but I DO know about guitar strings, and the G, B, high E, would be a little too small, and the low E, A, D, strings without the other wire wound around them would be about the same size as the G, B, high E, strings, so yeah...

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:55 am

I bet you're right. There's probably a more productive and cost effective way of getting rings that small.

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:19 pm

plus, they're not always the same size, the manufacturers really don't care about it though since you can still tune it to the right note. if low E A and D were just wire and not wire coiled around wire, then yes, it would work, but that's not the case, so no. I think maybe B or e (in guitar, E is low E and e is high E) would work for micromaille, although they would be different gauges if you used multiple strings to coil, but they shouldn't be THAT different

Submissions: 99

Posted on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:37 pm

I tried about 5-6 years ago, with my ex bf used strings. It didn't work at all, they were way to flimsy.

However I did twist 2 strings together, untwist them cut them to bracelet size, soldered a jumpring on each end, with a clasp, and made them into cool bracelets.

Posted on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:15 am

Yeah I see how that would work... but it would take forever.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1