More Safety Articles.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 4

More Safety Articles.
Posted on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:49 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Not to scare people or anything, but do you think there should be an article containing the injuries that could happen when chainmailling?

I mean, I just read this and I thought; "there are some pretty serious injuries that can happen while mailling" and an article showing the types of injuries that can occur and how to prevent them would be a good idea?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:56 pm

With all do respect that piece of metal he was working with is much thicker stronger and heavier then any wire that is worked with on chainmail. I personally have naver had any injury other than a pinch from pliers or callouses. As for a saftey artical, I believe that most of the construction articals... Cutting, Coiling, and so forth usually include some sort of safety information like "Wear Goggles, Watch for Spring Back" and so forth.

Do you have a list of safety tips of your own yet? If so I know for a fact that it would indeed be a welcome article on the board.

Regards,
Brucifer

Thanks,
Brucifer (Bruce + Lucifer = Brucifer)

Submissions: 8

Posted on Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Yeah the best articles for saftey have already been written, anything beyond those and you'll just have to write an article teaching common sense, if that's possible. If anyone does ever write that article lemme know cause I know some people that need to read it. Rolling Eyes

I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately, extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas. I just think about it.

Submissions: 35

Posted on Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 pm

http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/essay__PoD_maille_safety.shtml

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:29 am

I see your point, but reading the "worst maille related injury" thread, you've got to wonder.

Posted on Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:15 am

I've been a firefighter an medic for a number of years and you would be suprised and the many interesting ways people injure themselves in their hobbies and metalwork has all sorts of variables even in maille'ing so there are always dangers.

The funniest hobby injury I came across was a dude making a high power model rocket. He'd mixed up some sort of funky superglue, the kind that you glue side mouldings to car's with and had spilled it on his 1/2" plate steel workbench. Somewhere along the way he got his hair stuck in it (was a long haired friend of Jesus.. and was quasi-intoxicated) and in his flapping around got more and more of it stuck until his mellon was firmly afixed. We could'nt use the chop saw because it would have rattled him to much and we couldn't heat it up much so we had to pour water on his head and plasma cut around his head whilst being cussed at in full volume. Luckely for the doctors, he'd lost his voice by the time we made it to the hospital. A good time was had by all...well most...

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:06 pm

The mental image that creates is hilarious Coif LoL

Posted on Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:57 pm

The best part was watching him cussing at us whilst water was pouring over his yap. It was like when you dunk someone and they come back up a yell'in at ya... but for 15 minutes straight.. It is affectionately known as the tin-man call.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Brucifer wrote:
With all do respect that piece of metal he was working with is much thicker stronger and heavier then any wire that is worked with on chainmail.

hehe. perhaps I'm the exception... I've worked with up to 3/8" round stock as my "Wire" ...

Submissions: 17

Posted on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Brilliant story rescyou , made me laugh

Injuries.. Hmmm

Well i was powerwinding with my cordless drill and nearly wound my fingers up in it ..

But i was lucky

Blisters from working too hard ,, there nasty?

goggles - look like some made scientist but saves you eyesight,, would you like to attempt mailing with one eye? lol ( although i dont wear goggles, i wear safety glasses when cutting Wink )

Soldering galvanised steel can give you a flu nasty nasty nasty

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1