Good source for base metal jump rings?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 21

Good source for base metal jump rings?
Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:43 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would just order from TRL but i've had lots of problems with them in the past...not to mention expensive shipping to the US. So are there any other good cheap sources of base jump rings (preferably saw cut) online? I'm mainly looking for 16g & 18g: 3/16, 1/4, & 5/16

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.
--Thanks

It is now, in this world, that we must live.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:20 am

I was at a Michael's craft store, and they had jump rings. They looked fine, although I remember I wasn't to impressed with the price/ring-count ratio.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:39 am

I've checked micheal's up here (canada) and I am not impressed with their quality, packaging, or price. For anything plated, the quality is so terrible as to be unusable. For base metal, the metal is not identified, so I have no idea if there is nickel in it or not. If its copper, you are pretty safe, but it is still likely to be soft temper.

That brings me to the second gripe, the packaging. I have no idea of the diameter on most of their packages, not specific metal. I don't even always see a guage. So I have no idea of the rings size, not metal content.

And lastly, for all that I can pay them $5-$8 for a hundred rings.

At the very least there are plenty of online jewelry supply sites that ship from the US with far better prices, identified metals, and semi-accurate ring sizes.

Google is your friend here. When you find a site, check that it sells jumprings, then check their shipping info. Alternately, you can make your rings yourself. If soft copper or dull aluminum is good enough for you, you can buy spools of wire and coil your own.

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:54 am

Blue Buddha Boutique they have the best selection of jump rings any where. Service is always great.

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:33 am

JasRonq wrote:
I've checked micheal's up here (canada) and I am not impressed with their quality, packaging, or price. For anything plated, the quality is so terrible as to be unusable. For base metal, the metal is not identified, so I have no idea if there is nickel in it or not. If its copper, you are pretty safe, but it is still likely to be soft temper.

That brings me to the second gripe, the packaging. I have no idea of the diameter on most of their packages, not specific metal. I don't even always see a guage. So I have no idea of the rings size, not metal content.

And lastly, for all that I can pay them $5-$8 for a hundred rings.

At the very least there are plenty of online jewelry supply sites that ship from the US with far better prices, identified metals, and semi-accurate ring sizes.

Google is your friend here. When you find a site, check that it sells jumprings, then check their shipping info. Alternately, you can make your rings yourself. If soft copper or dull aluminum is good enough for you, you can buy spools of wire and coil your own.

Yeah, I noticed that too, none of the jump rings or wire at Micheal's stated the material, and it was all very expensive, at least for maille usage.
(They had a 1/2 pound (or pound) of 22 gauge wire for around $2, which was good, though I didn't get it because it was a mystery metal.)

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:40 am

If you need aluminum rings I have a rather good deal on them right now: http://www.ringinator.com/ringsale.html

If you just need a few ounces of specific stuff send me a PM. I've got lots of random stuff sitting around.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Submissions: 21

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

I actually have been making my own copper and aluminum, but for steel and bronze...i'd rather just buy pre-cut rings. And i do like Blue Buddha, her AA are great. The ones i've bought from TRL have been crap. One batch i bought (which is what i used to make a bunch of stuff for family members) had completely faded. The black and red AA bracelet i made for my cousin is now pure dull aluminum, without so much as a hint of color left. But Blue Buddha's AA has never faded on me. I'd like a cheaper source for (mainly) steel and bronze though.

It is now, in this world, that we must live.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 pm

On ebay, you can get a pound of bright aluminum 16g 5/16 rings for about $17 from user new_realm. They are saw cut. There are some damaged ones, but there are enough extras that there is still over a pound left.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Kodiak (Charlie's Chaincraft) offers base metal jumprings. I've ordered from him a couple of times. He's a friendly, helpful guy, and his rings are always of high quality.

Posted on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:26 am

I make & sell stainless steel jumprings. Currently have six sizes. Also have most sizes in black (black oxide). PM or email me & I can send a product/price list.

- Mike
Rings of Steel

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:03 pm

ROS is still in business? Cool!

Good supplier. I will also vouch for Spider, Blue Bhudda, Metal Designz, and TRL.

Try Etsy as well.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1