blueing low carbon steel ( or iron) maille
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just had a thought a few minutes ago. Don't know if anyone else's thought of or done this, but what does every body think of blueing your low carbon steel maille? I know the ancients would allow their maille to darken, then they would keep it oiled. In my experiance, with the few knives I've forged, darkening the metal by chemical means seems to retard rust (providing you keep it oiled and dry). The blade and furniture will not corrode atmosphericly. I'm thinkin' it'll do the same for the low carbon (bailing) wire I'm using for my byrnie. Any thughts?

"Man is an ore, it is the fire of life and the flux of his spirit that smelts him into what he becomes."

Submissions: 20

And I would like to add: how do you take care of a chain mail piece to avoid any damage made to it by whatever?

[ This Message was edited by: Cetautomatix on 2003-01-14 16:46 ]

thats a good question, I'm still figuring that one out. One idea is to reblue it, but that would take too long and would prety much be a waste of time and effort. any one got any beter ideas! Smile

"Man is an ore, it is the fire of life and the flux of his spirit that smelts him into what he becomes."

Submissions: 20

What about this bag full of sand or whatever technique there? Does it work?

Slainte

Cet

I can't say from experiance that it works, but from what I've learned from my mother,(who was a silver smith) the principle of tumble polishing is a sound one. one would take two pillow cases and sew the bottom and side seames togeather (one inside the other) and sew a heavy duty zipper in the open end. Place the article in side and fill with around a pound or two of dull sand blasting sand (found from any sand blasting company or cunstruction outfit). Then using the dryer as a large scale tumbler, run the article for around one to two hours (or untill it is polished). That will leave the byrnie or hauberk nice an pollished, not to mention rust free. One other thing I'm going to be experamenting in is the effect of soaking maille in lemon juce to give the desired blue-black surface on my rings. hope this is helpfull Cetautomatix. looking forward to your next reply! (Happy mailling!)

[ This Message was edited by: phoenixfire on 2003-01-15 12:25 ]

Submissions: 7

Bluing mail?
Posted on Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:28 am

Chemically bluing mail is possible, but I doubt it would stay that way for very long, as bluing solution is essentially a saturated acid solution which surface-burns the metal. However, another alternative you have to bluing, is annealing it. Annealing the steel produces a very nice, darkened near-black color to the links, though you'll have to use a fairly mild steel wire to achieve desirable results. All you need to do, is heat your entire work to about 600 degrees, sustain it there for about a half hour, and let it cool VERY SLOWLY. Do not pull it out and drop it in a bucket of water; Let it cool, as this is what produces that attractive blackening. However, do not heat it further than 600 degrees, as you will soften your links.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1