Option for frames or not?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 27

Posted on Sat Jan 01, 2000 5:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I know some people are dead set against frames, but I much preferred having the menu up the top as a frame. It meant that each time the page loaded, you don't have to wait for all the little images to load and then wait for the rest of the page to load.

I don't know how much of an effect this has for the people in the US, but in Australia, even on cable, the lag that is generated makes it take a while.

So, my suggestions is, perhaps give people the option in their member settings if they would like to browse the MAIL site using frames or not. I would imagine (and I'm not a webpage guru or anything) that if there are those who do like using them, it would also translate to less bandwidth being used by those people.

Thanks.

Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

[ This Message was edited by: Razoxane on 2003-01-02 18:51 ]

Submissions: 7

because of bandwidth problems, the use of frames allows for the top menu to stay loaded so that every time you load a page it cuts out that part leaving less bandwith used in the end. I'm not on the staff here, but I'm sure it is a cost thing that keeps that from being an option

To all those who think that life is a show, they can not see the strings...
an anchient philosopher once said that true intelligence is derived from knowing that you know nothing at all

Submissions: 27

That's what I thought. And I'm sure we all want MAIL to stay online for as long as possible Razz

Time is your enemy,
Time is your friend,
Time is the mystery,
Time is the end.

We are the Queen of Typographical Errors! You must all bow to Our Ineptitude!

"How the hell is a person supposed to take over a plane with a pair of pliers? *grabs pilot and holds pliers to neck* 'Take the plane to wherever I say or I pinch the pilot, I MEAN IT!!'"

Submissions: 24

Fortunately since the domain name change we also got on a new hosting server which no longer cares about bandwidth. Though I forgot that i turned cache-ing off on a lot of pages... i'll check into it tonight and see how difficult it would be coding-wise to set up an option.

Submissions: 7

Mari, it also might be a good idea to have the top menu section seperated into its own TRUE frame. Immobile and permanently stays loaded. I mean that the page scroll bars end where where the header begins. the same could also be done for the Boards/Sign-in/Weaves/Articles sidebar thing on the main page... Smile just an idea. that way thered be even less bandwidth and thered be a jump page with sign-in screen all the time. I know that'd be a significant re-write of pages though. I'd be willing to help with it if you would like to do that or anything else for that matter... Smile

To all those who think that life is a show, they can not see the strings...
an anchient philosopher once said that true intelligence is derived from knowing that you know nothing at all

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1