Chain Maille Gloves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Chain Maille Gloves
Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I've completed two bracer projects. I've used copper and galvanized steel in three different sizes and several European styles. I know about 4 weaves. I'm ready to either take on a hauberk or a pair of gloves.

I really want to make a pair of fencing gloves. Can anyone tell me if they have ever seen SCA fencing or otherwise wear a pear of chainmail gloves? Can anyone comment if chainmail gloves were period, and if so when?

Now that that is out of the way: WHAT NEXT!?
I've searched tons of web pages, read lots of articles and the only chainmail glove tutorials I can find are pretty vague. If there is a good one out there that you have used and can link it that would be great.

I need to know things like ring size, what weave to use, how to seam it together, what material and anything else. Needlenose Pliers Cutters

Links? Advice? Stories?

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:27 am

I'm not sure if maille gloves were ever historically recognized as armour. I think most, if not all gloves were made of leather with a metal backplate with fingers or just plain gloves. Maille is not very flexible and many weaves were not as well known in ancient times to make anything flexible enough for fingers. A maille backplate may have been used, but other than mabye mittens, i dont think anything was used. Mittens would not fare well for a fencing glove, i dont think.

Posted on Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:57 pm

Cool.

I went through the gallery last night and got a pretty good idea what size rings and materials i need to use.
I just need to grasp the basic concept of how to put the glove together, if you make each finger seperatly, how to make the thumb, etc.
I'll keep searching.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:49 pm

One of the fencers in my group told me some time back, that the left hand would sometimes be armored. Basicly, A leather glove, layer of maille then the outer leather glove.
This allowed them to be fashionable and be able to parry a blow.
Catching the opponents blade would sure give an advantage.

I might add that this is what I've HEARD. I have no documents to back it up.

Stephen

Posted on Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 am

I have made a few gloves and i find the best thing to do is make the fingers. Once you have created your fingers, make a patch or ribbon the size you need and attach it to the fingers. Depending on your AR and the direction you lay the rings, this shouldent be to hard. No matter what you do, its all maille and it will be fine. If you mess up, it can be udone ( unless you use rivets or welded, etc.)

Posted on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:11 am

In regards to maille and fencing, I found out that small maille (not quite micro) was applied to the palm and underside of the fingers of the off hand glove so as to actualy "grab" the opponents blade to give that split secont delay to execute a thrust. I'm a canidate for hades if I can't remember where I found that at. I can, however, tell u it was on a web page that delt with archiology and armour. so it had to have been used in that application.

"Man is an ore, it is the fire of life and the flux of his spirit that smelts him into what he becomes."

Submissions: 38

Posted on Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:16 am

for my glove im doing leather fingers then attaching e4-1 ontop and bellow the fingers but Not imbetween but i still havent got around to cutting the leather yet
Rolling Eyes
there are a few blury pics on my homepage

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1