newbie page (feedback?) (project thread)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

HerrBGone wrote:
We could always put an announcement along the lines of the following on the front page:

Ugg, and get what? *more* feedback and *more* ideas? This would've been a great idea 10 months ago, but, are we actually going to go through a whole new design/reworking phase on this?

I think we're pretty much done, and nearly set.

Quote:
That would serve several purposes:
1) It would get a version of what we have now in front of the membership with little or no work on our part.
2) It may lead to feedback from actual nubies that would help us tailor the presentation to what they actually need.
3) It would be easily edited to replace the link to the latest version of the page when/if we have updates.
4) And it would allow me to remove my desperate attempt to drum up some interest from my sig while still keeping this project in front of people.

1) Well, some work. Probably no less work than actually launching it.
2) Feedback from newbies, sadly, would probably be worthless. They would probably all tell us it was a lot better. But, newbies, be definition, are new to the site. Look at all the people who've participated in this thread. That's a lot of feedback, I don't think we're missing any. And, those of us that have commented are more or less experts at what's available on MAIL. For example, if we left off the entire "Gallery" section, newbies probably wouldn't even mention it, they don't know it's there to miss.
3) Again, more admin work.
4) Well, hopefully the project is wrapping up very soon here anyway.

Sounds like a lot of effort to replace a couple hours work. Also, how would people comment on it? We'd need to make something like that.

I think we pretty much have it set what we need to do to make the best newbie page. We can always provide a link inside the actual page when we launch it to garner feedback on it, if we'd like.

Quote:
I?m not sure if anyone has followed the link I posted a while back to see how great your renders are looking these days, so I?ll take it upon myself to invite you to post one that you feel is a good representation here in this thread. (It?ll knock their socks off? Coif Cool Smiley ) Thanx again for your help!

Yeah, Phong if you want to help, we trust your judgement. Pick and submit. Smile Anything you'd like to do would be awesome.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:02 am

can we put up an announcement and not as for feedback? access to this page should be seen by new people who aren't familiar with the site. an announcement would do this with nothing for a coder to do.

link offsite until we get it hosted locally, and then redirect the link in the announcement.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:22 am

sakredchao wrote:
probably one of the basic weaves.. no need to get all fancy.

maybe euro4 transitioning to box transitioning to FP6?

Like so?

Wink

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:46 am

Surprised Shmoly Hit! That's awesome! Coif Cool Smiley

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:45 am

Wow... amazing again. I won't bother trying to decipher your secrets. Maybe for the site throw that on a black background.

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:41 am

that is beautiful.

at first glance scrolling down, i thought someone had posted a photo.

kim

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:57 pm

[little kid voice] Told ya so! [/voice]

Very Happy

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:33 am

Ok, I got a version of the picture with a black background, and I'm starting to go through the noob page & css file. I'm noticing a lot of redundant code that I'm just going to take out. I'll try to comment where I can, but I rarely code my own pages, so don't expect a lot of explanation of where things went Wink

Heh, make that I rarely comment my own pages. Derp.

-phong

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:14 am

My first whack is up, here:
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1.html
and
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1.css

I removed the redundancies in the html and css, and did some other general housecleaning. There's still some wacky stuff going on in the section with the pictures from the Gallery. But as a first pass, I think I did a pretty good job. Smile
As far as the links color, yellow doesn't do much for me. But this version is to get things uniform and easily changeable, once we all agree on what we want. *snerk*

-phong

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:20 am

the html looks great.

the only thing i saw was right above the gallery images where i used the first person.. when i was playing with it i'd replaced it with cynakes' suggestion of,
===
"The Gallery is also a fun place to explore. I am amazed at what people have created every time I peek inside. [line] Here are a couple of my favorites." needs to become "The Gallery is also a fun place to explore, containing many inspiring images. [line] Here are a few masterpieces by MAIL members:"
===

also.. what do i need to read a .css file? a computer that's less than 10 years old?

(333mhz, win98, ie4.0)

kim

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:33 am

Fixed the Gallery description.
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1a.html

You should be able to open the .css file in a text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc). Though having a computer under 10 years old probably wouldn't hurt either Wink

-phong

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:43 am || Last edited by Cynake on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Phong wrote:
My first whack is up, here:
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1.html

Great googly moogly.

Sweetness. You trimmed it all back to CSS? Awesome. But, we lost a bunch of the old formatting I think.

To clairify, the header and the newbie page were never supposed to be together. Err.. or rather, the header was supposed to go with the entire site, not have a specific header for the newbie site.

So, the CSS that came with the header.. that's the correct colors/fonts for the header.

The colors that were on the page (and, most of the fonts, which, actually, I think stayed the same as the header, except the spots where it revered back to default via bad code).. were the colours that were supposed to be on the page.

Meaning, the yellow links were only supposed to be for the header's sub-menu, not the whole page. The links on the page were supposed to be blu-ish as I recall.

Not to step on toes.. but, on another tangeant, I think you edited the not-as-recent version of the site?

My appologies, I've really lost track of all the different efforts and pieces of this project. I don't even remember the parts I wrote or what I scrapped in favor of something else.

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/cschwar4/www/Introduction%20to%20M.A.I.L.htm <-- There's Tesserex's version. It has some stuff yours doesn't, and there's some stuff in a different order. The colours are the right colors though, for the page. Font sizes are different between versions.. I have no idea which are "right".

Quote:
But as a first pass, I think I did a pretty good job. Smile

Yeah, you did awesome. Yay, we have CSS.

Odd request, but could you flip the perspective of the render you created? It does wierd stuff to my head when I Z-scan the page. Maybe have it unfold as it decends to the right, rather than fold up? (should just be a camera thing right?, if it takes more than a few seconds, don't bother). Wierd nitpick, but if easy enough to do, could you toss it up and see what that does?

Thanks again Phong.

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:52 am

Phong wrote:
Fixed the Gallery description.

Something that's irking me. Umm, the pictures in the gallery.. they're resized versions of full-screen jpgs, aren't they? My graphics get all ugly if I attempt to scroll past them, 'cause I think it's basically trying to scroll 4 full-page graphics (the weaves are small, last I check) simulataneously, in a tiny space.

Future note, once we settle on gallery images to use, we should save the images that we use to the actual size that we want. Not uber-sized pics we display in tiny areas.

Oh, and Kim, you *should* be displaying CSS files by default. You don't need to do anything special to view them, you don't need to view them at all, (if you do, they're just plain text, it's just programming code). Your browser displays the CSS file when you load the HTML. When you click on that first link, you are seeing the result of the code in the CSS already. Phong only put it there for anyone who wanted to inspet the code itself.

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:27 am

Cynake wrote:

You trimmed it all back to CSS? Awesome. But, we lost a bunch of the old formatting I think.

It's not entirely css yet. I'm still using tables for positioning, as I'm not completely used to css positioning yet. And I did take out quite a bit of extraneous code that might've resulted in some formatting getting changed around.

Quote:
Meaning, the yellow links were only supposed to be for the header's sub-menu, not the whole page. The links on the page were supposed to be blu-ish as I recall.

The coloring can be easily changed on the css file. If there's messed up stuff, it's probably because I didn't debug the first version in IE. The new version is IE, Firefox & Opera tested, and looks alright.
Oh, and I changed the font of some of the links, just cause I don't like the Tempus-whatever much. Razz

Quote:
Not to step on toes.. but, on another tangeant, I think you edited the not-as-recent version of the site?

I used the http://www.beetlehaus.com/mail-nubie-Cynakes-v1b.html version, with the accompanying css file. It looked like the most recent version, though something might've come along since then. If Tess wants to PM me with what he changed in his version, we oughta get a complete version together.

Quote:
Odd request, but could you flip the perspective of the render you created?

Doing some quick flipping in Photoshop got this:

I don't know as I like it, but if people want it I can make a not-hacked-together version.

Ok, I fixed the rest of the glaringly wacky code and tested it in IE, firefox & opera for this version:
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1b.html
and
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1b.css

The link colors need to be changed, but I can get to that soon enough. When it's not 1:30am.

-phong

Posted on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:44 pm

I combined what changes I saw in Tess' version for the latest version:

http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1c.html
and
http://people.alfred.edu/~jwo1/maille/mailnoobpage/mail-nubie-Phong-v1c.css

I also made the main text take up 100% of the screen, to make full use of larger screen resolutions.

Content-wise, I would suggest combining the Welcome & More About MAIL sections, since they say largely the same thing.

-phong

Jump to:  
Page 12 of 14. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next