newbie page (feedback?) (project thread)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 79

newbie page (feedback?) (project thread)
Posted on Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:38 pm || Last edited by sakredchao on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

i looked and we already had the start of one, but it was limited..(see "first time here" on front page.
i would add to it thusly:

====================

Welcome to the Maille Artisans International League
M.A.I.L. is a union, a coming together of maille fans, smiths, and merchants. Together we learn new techniques, talk to our favorite artists, and find new contacts for our maille needs.
More than just a conversational nexus, M.A.I.L. strives to serve as a library of knowledge for all things maille. Members donate their knowledge and experience in the form of articles, gallery images, and weave submissions. Feel free to read and learn from them as you will. Note, tho, that the submissions of the members are the property of the members, so if you wish to reproduce anything you'll need to find the owner and ask permission.

M.A.I.L. vs maille: which is which?
Pardon our little play on words Wink Maille is the linking of rings to form a fabric of metal, M.A.I.L. is our organization. The two are used thruout the site. Don't be confused if maille is spelled mail, malle, or maile...they're all the same thing Uber.

Joining M.A.I.L.
If you wish to join our endeavor, then you'll want to check out the Join page. Know that all we'll ever ask of you is a submission of any sort to M.A.I.L. We also find ourselves looking for help on occasion, a sure way to get a lifetime membership.
Know that it is not neccessary to join M.A.I.L. to use our resources. What we have is for all to peruse as you see fit.

Learning more about M.A.I.L.
For a more detailed background of who and what we are, check out the "About Us" page..

Looking for something in specific?
M.A.I.L. comes equipped with an effective search engine, if you're having trouble wading through all the information on the site, give this a whirl.

How do i start making maille?
If you've never made any maille before, you're in luck. M.A.I.L. is dedicated to teaching everyone, apprentice to zealot. your first stop might be in the article library.

some specific articles you may find useful
Chainmail Construction (overview) - Submitted by David_Austin
Know Your Maille Terms - Submitted by Blaise
Know Your Pliers - Submitted by Blaise

safety articles
Possible Hazards of Mailleing - Submitted by Alex the Maillesmith1
stretching - Submitted by sakredchao

other categories in the article library include weave tutorials, patterns, jewelry and armor
but, remember to check out all the article categories as many treasures await you. and, when you've learned something to share with everyone else, you can write your own!

the gallery is also a fun place to explore. i am amazed at what people have created every time i peek inside.

the weave library is chok full of different weaves. want to make your chainmaille different than everyone elses'? use a different weave, one in the library already, or create your own and share it with the community.

if you have any questions check the FAQ and the search engine to see if it's already been answered, and if it hasn't ask us on the message board forums. folks are kindly and helpful there.

if your hunger for maille is still unsatiated, then our link list is a great way to find other maille sites.

enjoy your M.A.I.L. and maille experiences.

================================

i'd add appropriate links throughout.

this is a rough draft and i haven't worked out the grammar and such fully.. but, anything else you think should be included (or discluded)

thanks
kim

edit: good idea, queene. duly added.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:17 pm

I think that would be much better than the current one(which I had never even noticed). The only thing I can think to add would be something about the links page, that can be useful too. But it seems good to me, and would definitely help all the new people around here.

WILL WORK FOR WIRE.
I cannot please you all forever
I cannot please you at all. ~seether

http://www.myspace.com/darkdawn

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:24 pm

http://sakredchao.tripod.com/welcome2.htm

i put this together with an old netscape composer.

i'm sure there are better html ninjas out there, if anyone feels compelled, grab the page and do what thou wilt..

but, basically here is what i've come up with..

thoughts?

kim

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:37 pm

looks pretty good to me. although i see one thing that might be wrong. you state that 'Maille is the linking of rings to form a fabric of metal'. this makes it sound to me that maille is a verb and not a noun. furthermore it conflicts with the definition in the glossery. which states 'A flexible material composed of small interlocking metal rings or loops of chain' other than that i think its a good page.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:48 am

that is the old thing that woody put in (probably).. can copy the glossary definition and paste it, i have no problem with that..

but, on another note, isn't it a verb too?
i'm going to go maille.. i will be mailling tomorrow evening.

kim

Submissions: 17

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:51 am

sounds good to me sakred. lets get this added to the newbie page.... pwerhaps also the link to it made much larger too? i never even knew this link existed till just now.

you all laugh cuz im different. i laugh cuz your all the same
the ostrich is a freakish reminder that satan is alive and well and wants harm to come to us

Submissions: 62

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:02 am

like the general text and bolding and such i believe it would be more appealing when centered.

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:19 am

sakredchao wrote:
but, on another note, isn't it a verb too?
i'm going to go maille.. i will be mailling tomorrow evening.

kim

good point. but most people who are starting out would probably just say they were going to make mail. the verb maille is more of a mailler's lingo.
maybe as a second def you could include that maille can also refer to the act of linking links, or something to that extent.

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:00 am

changed.. copy/pasted and mentioned it's use as a verb.

as to centering, nothing else ont he site is centered, is it?

the gallery and weave images might get some good out of being centered.

kim

Submissions: 62

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:19 am

Well wont this page be a separate Pop-up like the welcoming thing no one click on?? If it is i think it would look beetter centered.

Maybe its just the site its currently linked on.. it has a really deep shiny-ish black which is throwing me off when its all aligned left

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:43 am

anyone:
feel free to grab the html and edit it and post it for yourself on some free server somewhere..

the best one will be chosen and i'd be happy to have a better version than mine, however, my tme for that project has been exhausted.

kim

Submissions: 8

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:50 pm

Even as we speak I'm in the process of grabbing sakredchao's text and throwing it into a format swiped from my own website. If you want a preview, check out:

http://www.beetlehaus.com

I'm also hoping to be able to grab 14th's redesigned header and put that at the top of the page. I tried briefly last night but I couldn't get it to work at home. Also there is a block for a picture at the top of the page where the CARtoon is now on my page. I?m leaving that there with the hope that someone who?s good with one of the render or inlay development programs could work up an illustration of an inlay of the word ?Welcome? in e4-1. If anyone has actually done such an inlay that would be even better. Coif Cool Smiley

BTW: I just switched to Firefox at home last night and discovered a major problem with my website. For now it's best viewed with IE, though the Punch Buggy, Lynx, and Legal pages do work with Firefox. I'm grabbing the code from the Legal page, so I know it will work in its new use and I'll be testing with Firefox before I upload it to the web. Eventually I'll get Opera also and test with that.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:55 pm

the welcome page is a great place to give the 14w header a practical test run.

i'm curious to see what you come up with..

kim

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:39 am

OK, here is a very preliminary version just to give you a feel for where I'm headed.

http://www.beetlehaus.com/mail-nubie-reformatted.html

I don't have 14thWarier's header in place yet, the background is still my blue instead of MAIL's black/grey, and there are still some layout issues to be dealt with. Also missing is the illustration that will (hopefully) grace the now blank box next to the 'article' headline links. (Volunteers anyone? Very Happy)

I added a note about content with a link to the content page and I swiped the text that appears at the bottom of the home page. Eventually I want to get this to be a seamless part of the MAIL look, but for now I've gotta go to bed. Gotta get up fer work tomorrow, very AM.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:44 am

i like the part about the adult content. being up front with them that we don't do that sort of thing here will keep alot of that stuff out of the discussion board and such.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 14. Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next