Fun with Chemicals!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Fun with Chemicals!
Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:03 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

hrm i was wondering if there was a way to turn galvy and stainless steel black. i read somewhere on here that someones key chain turned black after like two years of rubbing it but i want something just a lil faster. if anyone knows and can help it would be much appreciated .

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:28 pm

You can put galvy in some Hydrogen peroxide. What you are doing is heavily oxidizing it as Hydrogen peroxide has a very high Oxygen count. Don't leave it in there to long though.

Neld? cormar aranin eldaron nu i vilya.

Eru Laitalye,
Meldo Aldariva

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:02 pm

i believe lemon juice works well too. but as with the hydrogen peroxide, don't leave it in too long, as the zinc coating will come off.

Posted on Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:32 pm

so if let in hydrogen peroxide to long it woudl remove all the zinc off the galvy completly?

Submissions: 35

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:01 am

Make sure you don't dilute it with water. That's what I did and the zinc sorta oxidized white. I also left it in there for an overnight period, oops.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:03 am

The white oxidizing probably didn't relate to the diluting. Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen anyway. Besides, what you use is probably 95% water at least.

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:12 am

Zoloft Junkie wrote:
so if let in hydrogen peroxide to long it woudl remove all the zinc off the galvy completly?

if i remember correctly from chemistry class, the HP will totally disolve the zinc, leaving the bare steel to rust more rapidly.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:03 am

It will do that if you leave it too long. The Zn is oxidizing from the oxygen in the peroxide. The longer you leave it, the more will be oxidized and it could all disappear.

H2O2 + Zn -> H2O + ZnO

That seems right, since obviously zinc and water don't react.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:17 am

If zinc and water don't react, what causes that grey coating? I thought it was an oxide layer.

~Erik Razz

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:06 am

well i put some galvey in some hydrogen peroxied and all it did was dull it. so i left it over night and not much else happend it discolored a lil bit on it which might be rust. the peroxide is old if that counts for anything.

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:15 am

Zoloft Junkie,
i did a little more experimenting last night and my peroxide didn't work very well either. the lemon juice worked pretty well but most of the blackness rubbed off leaving a darkened gray instead of the shiny silver it was. i only soaked it for about thirty minutes though...

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:35 am

i think the lemon juice will just keep eating it away the longer you leave it on. what about the stainless steel is there anything that would react to darken it?

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:19 am

probably not. stainless steel is a combination of steel and chromium. the chromium is very restistant to oxidation and therefore won't darken. however you can buy black stainless steel from the ring lord. the stainless is covered with magnessium to make it black. it still has the same properties of stainless and the black won't rub off.

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:45 pm

dont take this the wrong way but buying rings defeats the purpose for me. i like ever piece of what i make to be made by me . plus im enjoying learing about this. im thinking i might have to try and plate it.

Posted on Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:57 pm

by all means, go for it. i think a maille piece made totally by hand is awsome. i only mention the purchased rings incase you were wanting to sell pieces that the colour won't rub off or to have a consistant colour on it. when i did my lemon experiment the rings came out sort of 'camo' black and gray.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next