What would -you- do to make MAIL better?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

what would -you- do to make MAIL better?
Nothing, this is the most wonderful site in the world
37%
 37%  [ 15 ]
Change the look and feel
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Reorganize the weaves
17%
 17%  [ 7 ]
Reorganize the gallery
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Reorganize the articles
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Re-edit the articles
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Incorporate
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Form a guild
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I don't care, I'm just looking for mail addresses to spam, what's chainmaille?
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 40

Submissions: 24

Posted on Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Another non-coding thing that it looks like MAIL needs : more banners (for linking to MAIL). Probably different sizes, with different colored backgrounds, maybe even animated gifs? We could have copy-and-pastable HTML code for them on the 'Link to Us' page. Then it would be nice if someone went through the links page, go to the links and if they don't have a link back to MAIL, kindly let the owner know about the new Link To Us page. I was just looking at the links and hardly any of them have a link back (which seems kind of one-sided to me anyways), but getting them to link back would greatly increase the MAIL exposure, number of members, number of articles etc...

signature

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:51 pm

mari, you are the -best-!!

banners and such are definitely a good thing to have. i think both large and small ones, cause some people might want to fly a hot air baloon advertising their support of us, and others may want to just have a little button-rectangle..

i'm not very graphically oriented, but i'll see what i can think of.

as to the thread links.. maybe have something so people know that it's an article thread, like "article: articlename by membername" or "gallery:piecename by membername".. and if the thread title changed, people would catch on quick that it ws the same thread cause the membername would still be listed, but it would still work for anyone new who went to use that thread. would this long title take up too much space in the forum space where the threads are listed?

thanks for your help mari. you're like some kind of faerie god-mom to us. i mean, thanks to you we got this magic pumpkin to ride around in!!

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:10 pm

Dabnabit! I feel like a real moron, now. Smile I just checked the coding on the header; I had assumed that it was a single image using an imagemap (something at which I have too little experience). But on the contrary, it's nothing more complicated than a table of individual images. Well, I can certainly code something like that. Smile

I'll gladly work on coding a new header if and when a new design is approved. I imagine starting a new thread to discuss the structure of a new header would be a good idea; but in any case, it sounds like we should be waiting until Blaise gets back, before we proceed.

Also, I hereby volunteer my help in creating banners and images for links. I'm not a graphics genius per se, but I do know my way around Paint Shop Pro well enough to make some fairly cool graphics.

Wow, the room's spinning; I didn't realize my drill was that powerful! Oh wait, I must just be dizzy from watching the mandrel spin! Very Happy

Leo "14thWarrior" M. Lalande

Posted on Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:27 pm

mari is just as capable as blaise, if not more so, considering it is her coding that made up the original website. by all means, start up a thread on it. blaise should be back in a week or so.. and we can be discussing in the interim.

kim

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:13 am

did Mari seriously just come back from like a half-year abscence?

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:25 am

i think she just popped in to visit with us for a second, and maybe do a couple things this week if we get the details worked out.. she's dropped a couple of comments from time to time in the last few months.

kim

Submissions: 21

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:33 am

As much as I'd love to design banners, school has taken hold of my time again. I'm trying to finish out my senior year of high school and secure my place at San Jose State University next year. My hauberk is also taking longer than I had expected it to -- over 12,000 rings and I still probably have another 5,000+ to go, just before it gets to be a long vest. *sigh*

Not to mention that I'm not good at making graphics. One look at my site will tell ya that. (See link below post) I will remind everybody, though, that all banners and buttons are of standard sizes. They're listed below.

Full banner (468x60)
Full banner with vertical navigation bar (468x72)
Half banner (234x60)
Vertical banner (120x240)
Square button (120x125)
Button one (120x90)
Button two (120x60)
Micro button (88x31)

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:34 am

Thadius, thanks for posting the standard banner sizes. That was information I was going to ask about, or research. You just saved me the time of doing either. Smile

Wow, the room's spinning; I didn't realize my drill was that powerful! Oh wait, I must just be dizzy from watching the mandrel spin! Very Happy

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:06 am

You're most welcome. Very Happy

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:28 am

AH HA I made it to the end.. Okay I have finally finished reading thru All of this. I had things I wanted to say but forgot them. they will come back to me and I am mostly posting so that you all know that I am here and willing to help. But now I am exhausted and must sleep.

oh and the font is Tempus sans? correct me if I am wrong there

I am the reader,the watcher and the writer of my own life.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:48 pm

Well, I'm working on an image for the weaves section to replace the current "weave fan", wanted to have it done much earlier, but real life got in the way with my sons school registration process last week, but it'll be done real soon.

I will also volunteer to work on a mockup of a different nav structure for the site. Look for something hopefully this week, or next (this will be another real busy week for me, as I'm revamping a good size community site of my own). I may even play around with a whole different look for the site in time. Even if it's just for feedback, and brainstorming use Smile. I am also capable of implementing any such changes if required.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-Arthur C. Clarke

DarkSkye Designs

Posted on Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:52 pm

Criterion, be sure to check out the discussion currently in progress regarding improving the nav header. You can get to it via http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=46803#46803

Posted on Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:18 pm

I've just uploaded a sample new nav header proposed for the M.A.I.L. site, check out the link in this thead ( http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?p=46803#46803).

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:30 am

Does anyone like the M.A.I.L. God worship thing?

Posted on Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:54 pm

i like MAIL
i like god-worship
maybe i don't follow you

Jump to:  
Page 5 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next