Magnetic rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 83

Magnetic rings
Posted on Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:57 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm interesting in mailling with some magnetic rings but I'm not quite sure just how to start. D'ya think it would be possible to create magnetic rings via the rubbing with a magnet method? Would mild steel be the best material to use? Given the rubbing each ring with a magnet might be rather time consuming, what sorts of large scale methods could be used? As I recall you can make an electromagnet with power, wire, and a steel nail. If you leave the juice hooked up to the nail long enough, will it become a magnet? If so, do you suppose that a bunch of steel rings could be wired together to create several magnets at once?

Whew, that's a lot of questions. Thanks for your advice.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:21 pm

not that i really know anything about this, but..

when i've magnetized screw drivers i just ran a magnet in one direction along the screw driver. this alligns the "thingies". how do you like my scientific lingo? (ions?)

anyway.. i'd just find a powerful magnet, like a speaker magnet, and run it along the maille.. you might need to seperate the maille from the magnet with a thin piece of glass or plexiglass, so the maille doesn't just grab the magnet and hold on for dear life. it still may follow the magnet, and if it does.. might try weighting the ends with something to keep it in place.

i would use mild or galvanized steel, if i wanted maille that stuck to everything.. which i don't. your pliers may become magnetic. and that might be obnoxious in later projects..

i'd also keep the magnetic maille away from your other maille so everything doens't end up with a charge.

kim

ps good to see you around matt.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 21

Posted on Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:20 pm

If you use a flat, circular magnet instead of a bipolar U-shaped magnet, you'll get much better success. With the bipolar magnets you can cancel out the charge by running the magnet in the other direction across the maille. With the flat type, the opposite pole is glued onto a metal backing, so you can't mess up and accidentally remove the charge.

You can find them at some Ace Hardware stores. They're marketed so you can stick a open eye-hook into the center and hang large objects off of them (like a tool belt). I'll get pictures for ya when my camera gets here (UPS say the 14th. ARGH!).

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:19 am

Hmm. I dunno if you could ever make it permanent. The magnets I recommend are Rare Earth Magnets. They are POWERFUL little suckers. The bigger you buy, the more power it has, the faster/better it works, but even the little suckers are many times more powerful than any refrigerator magnet you'll ever find. For this project, do not buy discs. Go for a rod, so you have something to hold onto. These things, when large enough or in a big enough stack, have the capability to remove fingers. Course, as a mailler that probably isn't as much of a risk(Fingers? What are fingers? Oh, you mean the protruding callouses...) They are also brittle and will shatter if dropped, but you won't find a better magnet. And definately use the plexiglass.

Search for them on ebay with the words Rare Earth Magnets, Neodemium Iron Boron, or NeFeB.

Good luck!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:35 am

yeah, ive got some of those magnets, well, i used too, lost them somewhere, but i was messing around with them, and they actually took some skin off my pinky finger, it hurt so bad and quite a bit of blood, of course now my finger doesnt actually feel anything, so, thats always good Coif LoL . yeah, earthmagnets rock, but why would you want magnetic chainmaille, wouldn't it just clumps itself together into a ball?

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:49 am

If you are comfortable working 120 volt house current, I can show you how to make a rig that can magnetize a large number of rings in a split second. I built one in high school shop class. Basically you need a sheet of wood for the base, a cardboard tube such as a paper towel roll, a spool of copper wire, 16 or 18 guage, a coupla screws, two alligator clips, some aluminum foil, and a hot melt glue gun. Shoe goop or a similar adhesive would work as well, but would have to cure for a day or two.

What you are describing with the steel nail is an electromagnet. That is, a magnet that can be turned on and off. Heeeey..... One of those would be really useful for finding and collecting stray rings.....

Email me if you are interested.

~Erik

Submissions: 77

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:14 am

Yea neodymium magnets are about 3 teslas, or 3000 times the earths magnetic field strength. You can make a magnet permanent. It's done by heating the metal red hot, and exposing to a powerful field for maybe an hour, and then cooling while in the field. This holds the particles in the correct alignment. Maybe if you cooked your rings and ran a huge chunk of Nd magnet over them for a while while they cooled they could become somewhat permanent. The problem with Nd magnets is they're so brittle that the force of them jumping together can shatter them easily. I've seen it happen several times.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:09 am

Tesserex,

In this case I think the focus should be on standard mailling materials. Neodymium is probably not a material one can buy in wire form. Based on your language (teslas) you probably know a little about magnetic fields and electricity. The rig I described creates a strong magnetic field that aligns the electrons in steel in a way that does form a permanent magnet.

One drawback in using mild steel is that flexing the metal will cause the magnetic field to weaken or go away completely. The solution to this is to simply magnetize the finished piece. This means a larger rig, and more copper wire, that's all. Mild steel will gradually lose it's magnetism anyway, although it is considered a permanent magnet.

Aderamelech, I am becoming intrigued in a magnetized byrnie or vest. I am curious about how magnetism will affect the properties of the mail. 30,000 magnetized rings with the same polarity will resist changing position, and will theoretically wear at the same spot on each ring. I also hypothesize that the natural rubbing of the rings will remove the magnetism completely. Interesting physics here...

~Erik

Submissions: 21

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:27 am

On a tangent...

Back in the day (early '50s), some researchers found that the ocean floor had alternating mangnetic polarities at pretty regular intervals.

Eventually, they figured out it was because the once the magma solidified, it would retain the magnetic orientation of its particles, even though the Earth's magnetic field would switch. (The Earth's magnetic field flip-flops every 3.1 billion years or something)

Submissions: 83

Posted on Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:06 pm

Thank's for the suggestions. Erik, I've emailed you regarding the rig you describe.

I wonder if there could be weaves which you can only make with magnetic rings...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1