View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 62

Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:15 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

HEY I DID IT i wrote an article

on how to make a fingerring!!

yay i hope tis not too bad cohort and its up to your high standards hehe

(ther was a quite few edits in my last article heh i such a bad speeler and gramerer hehe) such a bad speller and grammar person

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 21

Re: Articles wanted!
Posted on Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:28 pm

Drax wrote:
supplies -- different metals: lorenzo's article on titanium is the only one currently there (an article here should be as extensive as possible).

Could we get an edit on this one? I've written two on different materials since that last posting (aluminum, stainless) and am working on several more (copper, nickel, etc).

Submissions: 11

Re: Articles wanted!
Posted on Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:57 pm

[quote="Drax"]
inlays! i know there's lots and lots of inlays out there, but we only have 18 currently! Please submit your inlays (if you did not make an inlay, you MUST get permission of the creator).
[quote]

Do you still want inlay articles? There are now 29 since you wrote that, and i have submitted 5 of them. If you still want more i can make some. What do you guys want to see inlays of?

Vlad

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:21 am

Inlays end up too blurry and impossible to read when you get the file size below 100 kb Evil or Very Mad. When making an article, is it possible to display images from your own site, like the BBcode IMG function?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Creationism is not the alternative to Evolution...Ignorance is.

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:21 am

Alasdair, check my articles, I think they are large enough to see clearly. Also, one can save the image to their computer and zoom in.

The trick is to use .gif, they tremendously reduce file size than if it was .bmp or.jpg .

However for very large inlays, or those with many colors, (caused by uploading pics to IGP, then attempting to make all the different shades of red/blue/yellow etc. on shade) It is difficult.

I don't know what you did to my dodge ram inlay, but it worked, so i guess thats what you do for the inlays that saving as a .gif isnt enough.

Saving the image as a .png reduces file size even more, but .png cant be uploaded to the site.

Vlad

"The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God"
Psalm 14:1

"Evolution is unproved and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."
Sir Arthur Keith

"You might be a liberal if you don't trust honest Americans with automatic weapons, but you do trust the government with them."

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything."
Stalin

Some of my items are for sale on www.maillemarket.com , thank you.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:57 pm

You can also try chopping up the file into 2 (or more) separate pictures. As long as the pics are each less than 100kb, then you're okay...

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:04 pm

I have a suggestion for the riveted section in the articles. Why doesn't someone make an article telling how to prepare different metals for riveting.

I can think of aluminum, brass, bronze, copper, and steel. Explain if they need to be annealed or not and maybe tell how to maintain them.

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:06 am

Thrown in an article for "personal experiences" Mr D, tried to keep it light hearted and entertaining. Have another couple on the drawing board.

Posted on Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Looks great, Clym, personal experience stories are always a good read Very Happy

By the way, you don't have to resubmit something if you want to fix a few typos. Go to "My MAIL" and then scroll down and you should see a list of your submissions. You can "edit" your article, and then resubmit it -- I'll then get a request for an edit (as opposed to a new submission) and can okay those changes.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 26

Posted on Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 pm

Drax wrote:
Looks great, Clym, personal experience stories are always a good read Very Happy

By the way, you don't have to resubmit something if you want to fix a few typos. Go to "My MAIL" and then scroll down and you should see a list of your submissions. You can "edit" your article, and then resubmit it -- I'll then get a request for an edit (as opposed to a new submission) and can okay those changes.

Funky, what can I say? Dyslexia, it's a bitch. Spell checkers can only do so much. Smile

Submissions: 6

Posted on Wed May 25, 2005 12:42 am

I guess this is sort of an article request...tumbling things. As in media, how long, that sort. Most of the articles are chemical washing for specific metals, or how to build a tumbler.

Reading through some threads, I've come across a lot of unlisted tumbling techniques. I would write an article about the different methods, but I dont know how long to tumble what, or what could cause adverse reactions, ...the list sort of goes on Razz

Latas

You are but a figment of your imagination in a poor attempt to amuse yourself.

"Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. In fact, put those lungs down too. The organ bank is not a playground"

Chain armour + Bullets = Hot Knife + butter

Proud supporter of Ninja's!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:58 pm

The first post states that MAIL has no articleson split rings. I don't know if that has changed at all, but I would be willing to try to make one. Dr. T would no doubt be the best man for the job, but I don't know if he visits MAIL very often.

By split ring articles, would we need something on the "concept" of weaving split rings, or new instructions for most, if not all of the weaves? Also, I don't know if we have any articles on scales yet, or if they would fall under that category. I know there are instructions on putting the scales together, but an article I really could have used when starting out is how to work with the split rings and put them on correctly (ie. when the ring attaches the the scale it is twisted the wrong way). I would consider an article like this to go hand in hand with the "concept" of putting split rings together because, in essence, they are very much alike.

EDIT: I would do the instructions or articles with photos because it would take me forever to make the split rings work with CGI and I would screw it up in the end anyways. Scales I know are possible, but I have no idea how to do.

blackeagle13@gmail.com ~ AIM: IWeavemaille13
AudioScrobbler - http://www.last.fm/user/Blackeagle13/

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:43 pm

As far as I remember, there's still not articles on split rings.

Split ring topics could be as varied as how to make them, to how to use them (or even perhaps where to get them, although that's pretty brief, unless if you did a broad study of the various vendors and pros and cons).

Using split rings in various weaves (that is, a general approach?) might be the most interesting. I'm not sure that we'd necessarily need a tutorial for each weave, unless if it really is THAT different. The biggest difficulty people are going to have is how to get used to using them.

As for scales, since the scale connections tend to use rings, such information would be good here. We do have an article on "penny maille", I believe, that falls into a similar category.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 30

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:02 pm

A article/tutorial on weaving with split rings would be handy. There are several techniques: Using split-ring pliers, a needle, or a scale are the one's I've heard of. Other than that, using split-rings is exactly the same as butted rings in terms of making the weaves. There is a tutorial for weaving scale maille out there...Derakon's? It couldn't hurt to have a good one here as well.

CyberKender Esquire
RenMerc and Rogue Journeyman Bodice-ripper
Punslinger-at-Large Fnord! The Brass Kender
Brute Squad, Stealth Division
Apparently Appointed Mayor of There
Enough to make a grown man cry.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:33 am

CyberKender wrote:
A article/tutorial on weaving with split rings would be handy. There are several techniques: Using split-ring pliers, a needle, or a scale are the one's I've heard of. Other than that, using split-rings is exactly the same as butted rings in terms of making the weaves. There is a tutorial for weaving scale maille out there...Derakon's? It couldn't hurt to have a good one here as well.

It's lorenzo's if you're talking about the TRL instructions. I'll get working on something, should I have the time and a break from the a.d.d./procrastination

blackeagle13@gmail.com ~ AIM: IWeavemaille13
AudioScrobbler - http://www.last.fm/user/Blackeagle13/

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 6. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next