June 6th, bills come due!
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Fund Raising

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:56 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Blaise wrote:
I'd like nothing better than to change hosting, but the thought of trying to move this site, and all the code, and all the databases, makes me very sleepy....

What, there's no automated way of just porting it over? No click and drag or any such equivalent?

I'm in with a vote to firebomb our current host. We've had crap all service.. but, I suppose it is pretty cheap. I went with a really high quality, personally managed webhost.. and I'm paying the half of what you guys are, just to get 100MB storage and 5 GB/month bandwidth.

As for funding... assuming anyone's bothered to plow through my MAIL Redesign thread.. Blaise, what're your (or another coder's) odds of setting up an icon to appear beside people's names if they join whatever we decide a "dollarclub" to be? My suggestion right now is a $3 donation and you're in. I think we could get 40 $3 donations.

Or, would 10 $12 donations be more likely? Or, 24 $5 donations, or whatever? I think $3 is small enough that practically everyone would laugh it off.

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:38 am

Please, I have no problems with writing a $125 check right now to cover the costs.

Figure out what's going on, then let me know. My checkbook is at the ready.

Posted on Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:24 am

Drax wrote:
Please, I have no problems with writing a $125 check right now to cover the costs.

Or, maybe our odds are better at 1 donation of $125. Smile Smile

Still, I think we should raise more money. At least, a "Lets not cost Drax as much" campaign.

I'd like to see us have enough disposable cash to actually start to create a permanent collection of weaves, and have enough to ship it/send it to various faires to represent the art and the community. I figure, if we can throw back an extra hundred a year, it'd be enough to start off, if we could get volunteers to ship at their cost too.

*shrug*. I'll see about doing one of those "I'll match whatever we can raise this week" things later on towards deadline time. It really sucks that it's the admins who end up donating all the money to keep the site running, on top of already putting all their time and effort in. To me, admins should be getting paid for running the site, not paying to run it.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:17 am

Either way my pledge stands. I just have to work it into my budget and send it along...

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:26 pm

I cant believe I'm just now seeing this thread. I feel like an a-hole. Count me in for donating to the community!

Which way is best to donate so MAIL gets the most out of it? Paypal? Also, what kind of donations are needed right now? (I know anything helps but what would really help, short of Drax's checkbook lol)

"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"
-Edgar Allen Poe, 1827

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:40 pm

paypal is an effective donation method.

you can also send things directly to eric matwe (lorenzo), whose name is on the webste and has the deal of paying the bils.

i believe that his address is posted early nt his thread.

cynake.. let me know when you do that double deal.. i may decide i can spare a hundred.. and if drax does too, you could be in for it! i'll more realistically spend 50ish$ like last year.

kim

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:49 am

I feel like I really need to make a donation. My original plan was once I got $100 back from selling maille, I would give you guys 10, and then keep donating in increments like that from then on, but I'm still at $86 and not going anywhere, so maybe I'll just get around to sending some money. I mean, you pretty much deserve everything I make on maille, since I'd have nothing without this site.

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:50 am

Well I logged in today to revive this old thread, only to find that Kim had beat me to it by about a month. C'est la vie, I'm glad to see ideas already going around because we really need something to happen. It's true that we could use a new webhost but that is not likely in the budget. Lets focus on paying the bill first and THEN if we reach that with time to spare and a financial "cushion" we can talk about upgrading.

Unfortunately there have been no extra donations since I last posted, with no money to put in a MAIL account the account never happened. At least this year we're not in the hole so it's farther along than last year. Wink Money is very tight for me this year, so I don't plan on being able to cover much if any this time around.

Yeah, next I was going to post some fundraising ideas, then I realized that I didn't have any, so I'll go find some and maybe post again later.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:34 am

I can do two things to help out.

One...as soon as someone sends me a paypal address, I have a donation to make. Smile

Second...I have a few Star Trek collectables that I was trying to sell last year. Of course, since I needed cash and no trades at that moment in time..I never got to finalize a sale after a couple of prospective buyers.

I will gladly donate one of those items for an auction to raise money for the site. I would like to add a base of like $5 to the final price to help me cover the shipping and insurance tho if that is possible and the price of the sale will tolerate it. If it sells cheap, then I'll pay the shipping. Smile

I have several things to choose from and if it sounds like a good idea to all of you, then lets get someone volunteered to take charge of it, get the details worked out, and to contact me for the list of items to choose from. Smile

Hope that helps. Very Happy

Rygar
http://home.roadrunner.com/~chainreaction

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

--Terry Pratchett

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:12 am

Now that Rygar mentioned it, I don't know what the balance of the paypal account is right now. There are probably some funds in there, I'll have to ask Jon about it.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 28

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:15 am

rygar- if you go to the donations button in the header and click on the donation box button, you will find the info to donate.

i'll be donating within the next couple of days, i get paid tomorrow.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:08 am

Paypal account is just over $200. All I need to put the money to use is a breif proposal in the Admin discussion room and a consensus from some admin people.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:36 am

donation sent.

just a question, will the MAIL screenname of the donator show up on the paypal transaction or will it just show the paypal account id? i'm just curious to know how MAIL keeps track of who donates.

Arthur: Let's go somewhere.
Trillian: Where'd you have in mind?
Ford: I know this great restaurant at the end of the universe

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Submissions: 45

Posted on Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:52 pm

Paypal will tell you the name of the *paypal* account that sent the donation. If your paypal account name is different than your MAIL name, then the answer to your question is no. You'd have to include a blurb in the 'additional text' to make that clear.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.--Bertrand Russell

Maille Code V2.0 T6.4 R5.4 E=o.o Fj6.2 MAl.a W$m C$b G0.5-2.6 I1.6-9.5 N20.26 Pn Dacjs Xa25g13w5 S00 CCu

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:30 pm

With only a few exceptions all donations have been done through paypal and paypal keeps track of the real names of people who donate. When ever I feel like it I post lists of donators like this:

Paypal account: $225.89 USD
Donations from past year
Feb. 27, 2005 Christopher Wright $20.00 USD
Jan. 27, 2005 Maille Gear $20.00 USD
Jan. 22, 2005 Rosanna Dill $5.00 USD
Oct. 27, 2004 Brian Goldner $10.00 USD
Aug. 22, 2004 Richard Price $10.00 USD
Aug. 12, 2004 Sherry Grandy $4.54 USD
Jul. 26, 2004 Mark Germain $100.00 USD
Apr. 12, 2004 William Johns $10.00 USD
Apr. 2, 2004 JTM Creations $5.00

Jump to: