The New Project
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Will you participate in a Hp 3in1 5/16 Inch ID 16ga Chain Project??
yes and i like the ring size
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
no i want a different ring size
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
no i will not participate at all
16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
i volenteer to connect chains
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:51 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

nno we are trying to stay with HP3in1 we dont wanna make it hard on ppl that have to learn HP3in1

i hear HP4in1 is a lot harder

i wanna set our goal to making a mile long chain

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:45 am

1 mile wont be the longest chain in the world....
well, baybe the longest CHAINMAIL chain in the world

the big 3? them included?

I love deadlines. I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
--Douglas Adams, Author, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
yes my little squeaky friend, we will RULE THE WORLD TOGETHER!
"USB powered Lava Lamps!"

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:36 am

I'm not 100% positive about this because I haven't made persian for a while, but this could be a big problem, so think before starting! I think persian weaves have a left and a right direction! I think so because once when I made two pieces I tried to line them up and it wouldnt work no matter how I did it. I'll see if I can make some now and prove it. If so, decide on a direction first!!!

Submissions: 62

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:19 am

make it according to drekons weave library website

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~cweisige/index.html

BTW the tutorial on our site is the same as the one on the site above

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 77

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:21 am

okay ive proven it. I decided to label them clockwise and counter clockwise based on which way the rings on the edge are leaning. I took a picture but now realize I don't feel like uploading it.[/img]

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:24 am

well no it woulden't be the longet chain but you could put it in as the longest handmade ChianMaille Chain i don't thing that could be refuted.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 14

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:47 am

I would love to help but I need some 5/16 16 SWG rings and the knoweldge to make it(I could most likely get it easily but I don't have any good size rings for it, maybe someone oculd send me a bunch?)
I would also, once I learn the weave and get materials, help connect for the Canadian people participating.

Submissions: 72

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:31 am

We'll definitely have to be very specific with what ever name we come up with for this record.

World's longest hand-made chain.

World's longest hand-made chainmaille chain.

World's longest hand-made chain made by the world's highest number of people to participate in the construction of the world's longest hand-made chain.

Etc.....etc.....etc.

We'll have to gather *all* the specifics:

Names of those who contributed.

Locations of those who contributed.

Those who put it together.

Locations of those who put it together.

Approximate length of time to do the project. I put the idea out there quite a long time ago; does anyone suppose we should include that time span? I think we should.

Ring size.

ID.

Gauges used.

Etc...etc.

We'll have to organize this project very well. *Everyone has to agree on what the final decision is as to what the weave and ID will be.* I think 14 or 16 ga wire will be fine unless a weave with a tight AR is chosen.

HP 3-1 seems ok with me, but is it strong enough? I'd lean more toward byzantine because it's quite strong and easy to make.

I think we should have a final vote (not a poll) to decide the weave and ID. After that, we can go from there with the details.

Mical. Smile

Submissions: 15

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:09 am

Sorry, cant join you Sad . I live in europe and i think it would be quite much trouble sending all the chains over the atlantic ocean Smile. Razz

I was coming back... and all the stones and grass in my head was very loud... a sort of humming...
-Richard Adams, The plauge dogs

When in doubt, work on your closures.
-Thadius

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:16 am

Mical wrote:

World's longest hand-made chain made by the world's highest number of people to participate in the construction of the world's longest hand-made chain.

(I just have to laugh becase that sound like something people like us would come up with.)

But i would have to agree with Mical as well. The stringth of the weave is also a big ishu, box, brizantine are stronger but thay take more rings acctualy making it weigh more, posibly makeing it just as weak in comparison. So what weave would be about the same ring count but retain the more stringth? the only one i can think of it one that interlink more rings( HP 4in1?) but then you have the same problem with the weight. unless aluminum or TI is used, thought i would not sugest aluminum it is quite a bit softer then steel and TI is expensive?

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:49 pm

Well, I dun think we'll be stretching it across anything, where it'd need the strength, although the grand canyon would be sweet, but, galvy or stronger should be fine. I guess if no one else wants to, I can take over the eastern seaboard part, I'm in ohio, but not too bad.

Adventure, excitement? A jedi craves not these things.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:02 pm

I would love to participate, if we have someone in eastern us to connect (I would be useless for that). My hands prefer the idea of something simple like hp 3 in 1, but I defer to those of greater experience for gauge and weave... perfectly willing for any of it!

~~Kitsta~~

Go, Lemmings, Go!

There they go! I must hurry after, for I am their leader.

All are lunatics, but he who can analyse his delusions is called a philosopher. --Ambrose Bierce

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:08 pm

I can aid on the eastern seaboard. with conecting or teacheing people the weave for that matter..i love to travil..just give me a rezon too

Submissions: 72

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:48 pm

I've been thinking about it, and as long as no one hangs the chain or pulls on it when it's really long, we should be fine with hp 3-in-1. We could treat it like the world's longest gum wrapper chain in that as long as it doesn't have too much of a force pulling on it, it should be fine.

Having said that; I think hp 3-in-1 with 14 or 16ga 5/16" ID rings should be fine.

Mical. Smile

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:09 pm

Also, if it comes apart in one spot it wouldn't be too hard to replace those rings.

If you want to contact me, and you have AIM, Click.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next