Weave Council - Applications and Discussion
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business
   
Author Message

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Weave Council - Applications and Discussion
Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Alright Folks,

In the interest of getting through some of the 42+ Submissions currently in the weave queue, and in the interest of not sticking that burden on any one person, we're looking towards the idea of a Weave Council of individuals to help asses Weave Submissions.
The number of Helpers will need to be an EVEN number, so that in the case of any "tie" decisions, the Weave Admin can act as a tie-breaker.

I would like to see two things in this thread:
1. Hats in the ring. - An indication that you would like to help, as well as an indication of why you feel you would be a good fit for the role.

2. Criteria you would like to see for weave Approval/Denial.
IE: Majority "Yay" Votes, Time Threshold with a "Yay" and no dissention, etc.

Discussion for "What Constitutes a Weave" shall be left for another thread.
Please do NOT flag other "Hats in the Ring" as "Unfit" for any reason. Again, if there are questions surrounding whether or not certain members are a good fit for this role, that shall be discussed in another thread.

Please keep this thread to points 1 and 2 above, and indicate WHICH point you are discussing in EACH post.



Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 776
Submissions: 43

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

1. First hat.

2. I’d like to say we should strive for consensus. If we can’t reach one, a vote. (If it’s really important, I’d say that a council member could request a Stay, and start a discussion on the board on in, and then have a second reading)

Furthermore, I object to the Idea that we need an odd number on the council. Should ties need to be broken, the chair (ie weave admin) should break ties.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: March 11, 2010
Posts: 115
Submissions: 9
Location: NOLA

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

1. My own hat. I'm aware I'm not that deeply steeped in the past of this site not historically hugely active. I am however knowledgable and interested. Also I second Karpeth.

2. I'd say 2 aye votes with no nays and a timer of maybe two weeks or a month. If there are nays, then a majority with at least a month enforced discussion and vote changing possible. This discussion should be a public weave theory style debate.

Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 14
Submissions: 4
Location: Indianapolis

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:32 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

1. Me. This site has given me so much and I would like to give something back.

2. I think that most weaves simply require a check of the current library. If there’s a debate, a simple vote should work with the admin having final approval. Basically, a bit like congress and the president system in the US. I like the idea of a time table per weave.



Joined: March 10, 2015
Posts: 51
Submissions: 6

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

1) Silly question: where is the weave queue? I'm interested in helping, but without knowing what the backlog looks like, it's hard to assess whether I would be helpful.

2) Karpeth's idea of a Stay vote option seems like a good idea--something to distinguish an Abstain/"I haven't looked at this" from a Wait/"I've spent some time on this and have questions."

Also, maybe the Accept/Reject/Discuss thresholds need not be decided right now. The current queue could be used as a trial run for the weave council. Once the new council has gone through the existing queue, it might be obvious where the thresholds should be based on how the votes have clustered.

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 776
Submissions: 43

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

EricN wrote:
1) Silly question: where is the weave queue? I'm interested in helping, but without knowing what the backlog looks like, it's hard to assess whether I would be helpful.

2) Karpeth's idea of a Stay vote option seems like a good idea--something to distinguish an Abstain/"I haven't looked at this" from a Wait/"I've spent some time on this and have questions."

Also, maybe the Accept/Reject/Discuss thresholds need not be decided right now. The current queue could be used as a trial run for the weave council. Once the new council has gone through the existing queue, it might be obvious where the thresholds should be based on how the votes have clustered.


1. It’d never been Public. 42 in the queue and counting. I’d second your hat.

2. I agree with you.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: August 05, 2010
Posts: 623
Submissions: 28
Location: Bar Harbor, ME, USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

1. I've run a handful of weave studies. It would be a shame to not act in some official format.

2. I'm against voting. It feels to me like it would breed inefficiencies and repeated efforts. As it was, getting 1 person to carefully inspect all the weaves was challenging... now the proposal is for multiple people to do the same and reach a consensus?
I think a recommendation + confirmation system would work better. Maybe also a "hold for me to inspect" type thing, too.


while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

(Sidenote: I'm going to leave this thread open for a week, to get some more voices in here.)



Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 776
Submissions: 43

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

As in before or after christmas?

2.) It looks like a lot of healthy ideas. We seem to agree that we Don’t want a politicized vote. I have more ”states” than a binary yay/nay I could take, and Would like to see us try to work This out, rather than ”one man one vote”. Some weaves, I have a personal bias in, as some of the queue is mine. Some weaves I can’t be asked to do. Some weaves do not need a reproduced copy, some do. I Would Weight my vote differently depending on the situation. As such I promote the Idea of ”silent consensus”


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: March 11, 2010
Posts: 115
Submissions: 9
Location: NOLA

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:46 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Silent consensus can be dangerous. The admins here have a history of checking out at times. Votes of yey, nay, and "let's dig deeper" are great, but I don't like the idea of construing silence as any of these. It is simply an abstained vote and whatever process is used to approve a weave should be robust enough to allow for a few abstentions. As you mentioned, in some case abstentions are simply because they are your own weaves, or you have other obvious biases.

Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 776
Submissions: 43

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

StudioCastile wrote:
Silent consensus can be dangerous. The admins here have a history of checking out at times. Votes of yey, nay, and "let's dig deeper" are great, but I don't like the idea of construing silence as any of these. It is simply an abstained vote and whatever process is used to approve a weave should be robust enough to allow for a few abstentions. As you mentioned, in some case abstentions are simply because they are your own weaves, or you have other obvious biases.


I believe we kind of mean the same thing. For me, a silent consensus Would be that the opining people reach an Agreement. Voting would deter from the Theory in my eyes.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Karpeth wrote:
As in before or after christmas?


I’ll close the thread some time on the 21st or 22nd. One week from the posting date.

At that point we’ll hammer out some details, and get the appropriate permissions in place.

Current Hats in the Ring:
Dreadkb
EricN
Karpeth
StudioCastille
TrenchCoatGuy



Joined: January 24, 2016
Posts: 14
Submissions: 4
Location: Indianapolis

Reply with quote
Posted on Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:15 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

2. I have a thought about the council approval process. My thought is, each member specialize in a family or subset of the database. Each of us looks through our part of the database and reports possible or confirmed duplicate submissions. These reports are submitted to the admin. If we each say that there is no conflict, the admin accepts the weave. If there’s a possible conflict, partial match, etc, then the admin can look into it and make a final decision.

This will allow for parallel action by the council on multiple weaves without overwhelming the admin. Each council member would (relatively) quickly become very familiar with their subset of the database. If we add or lose council members, the admin could redistribute the database to adapt.



Joined: August 30, 2010
Posts: 776
Submissions: 43

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:54 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Dreadkb wrote:
2. I have a thought about the council approval process. My thought is, each member specialize in a family or subset of the database. Each of us looks through our part of the database and reports possible or confirmed duplicate submissions. These reports are submitted to the admin. If we each say that there is no conflict, the admin accepts the weave. If there’s a possible conflict, partial match, etc, then the admin can look into it and make a final decision.

This will allow for parallel action by the council on multiple weaves without overwhelming the admin. Each council member would (relatively) quickly become very familiar with their subset of the database. If we add or lose council members, the admin could redistribute the database to adapt.


I wouldn’t agree with you. While your Idea is theoretically sound, we have several things in our library which are very hard or even impossible to dechifer. Some things are miscategorized, some descriptions give the wrong impression.

I doubt anyone voluntarily Would take responsibility of a section with 2di, svart weave, or the likes. I simply believe we should take a common responsibility.


Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1
All times are GMT. The time now is Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 pm
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business
Display posts from previous: