Black gunk from tumblers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Black gunk from tumblers
Posted on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Cross-crafting brings knowledge you lack. The fashion latex world tracked this problem down in the 1980s, about the time rubber tumbler drums were first designed, because something was making expensive fashion clothing either go crystalline or gunk. It turned out to be a chemical reaction to copper: whereas vulcanisation using sulphur strengthens rubber and latex, copper destroys it. And not just copper, but anything containing it in alloy, so brass and bronze too - and iirc it's also in materials like constantan. I'm not certain about chemical compounds using it, as opposed to alloys, which are just mixes. Silicone and plastic aren't affected. As a total side-track just for completion, chlorine fills in the surface micro-irregularities so it's less clingy and slides more easily.
Returning to the issue at hand, I've written to the Hawaiian company in question advising them of the issue, but they've ignored me. They're not greatly to blame though, having designed their product before the issue was investigated in a totally different trade. They do produce plastic drums, so I think that may be the paths to go.
The people who didn't hit problems likely were only tumbling other metals, aluminium, steel, gold, silver, titanium are all OK with rubber. However, plated copper/brass/bronze is, sadly, not: the problem's at molecular level.
Me? I'm here because my IQ enjoys fiddly, it also brings mild Aspergers and latex help us stay grounded, psychologically.

OK, so I'm a know it all bighead. No apologies, I was born bighead, and added know it all to avoid becoming boringly normal.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:47 am

This was published back in a journal in the 30's, I believe... I can't find the original source currently.

Copper salts cause a disaggregation of the rubber, allowing oxygen to do it's evil work... Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

Plastic Drums, coating the innards of a rubber drum, or just cleaning the piece once your done are all viable solutions.

Not much can be done to "fix" the issue, however, as it's simply just the nature of the beast. Best to treat the symptoms, much as with the common cold.

Re: Black gunk from tumblers
Posted on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Rahere wrote:
As a total side-track just for completion

You know, I like to you went for completion, but I have to say I'm not even entirely sure what you were saying there, I felt like jumping in in the middle of a conversation without knowing were the topic begun.

As someone who doesn't personally have a tumbler, what were you getting there, was it gunk in the copper after finishing it, was it gunk left in the water, or what? And what exactly is the culprit there, you mean a tumbler made with rubber parts, where as silicone and plastic are fine?

Posted on Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm

There is a decent article on rio grande on how to remove the crud that develops refreshing the rubber tumblers and media such as stainess shot.
Rubber makes much less noise than plastics or metal containers.
Often similar diamiter containers can work well. coffee containers, larger sections of plastic pipe, glass jars with tight fitting lid.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:11 pm

I had an early vibrating tumbler that used gallon ice cream tubs. I used it so long with the original tub in place that I couldn't get the tub out when I finally tried.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1