Polishing and Tarnish cleaning your mail.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Polishing and Tarnish cleaning your mail.
Posted on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:15 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm sure this discussion get brought up a lot, I was just thinking of something, since I've recently got rotary tools that enable that traditional polishing used in jewelry. For chain mails (any chain particularly complex) that traditional method likely wont work just as well, simply because you can't into every nook cranny between the rings, and even with a very soft brush to get them it would be a pain in the ass to work long pieces.

So I want to know what techniques you use if any, I already read that some people like to use a tumbler, it seems alright for cleaning but I don't think it would do particularly strong polishing.

In regards with tarnish removal, I would like to share that for ages I've struggled with it (for copper and alloys specially), but after I found white vinegar, it has done wonders, sadly though the shine never lasts long. I've also brought acid specific for that, silver and plated materials, and Silvo, which isn't exactly what I thought it would be, but would like to try on some copper pieces as well. So also wanted to know if any of you guys use this kind of specific products.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 am

Anything stainless steel goes in the dishwasher. What fits in a tumbler gets tumbled. Delicate stuff goes in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I've read people have success with RenWax/Renaissance Wax for keeping Cu and Cu alloys from tarnishing so fast, but I haven't tried it myself.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 pm

For jewelry I use "Instant Tarnish Remover" from JoAnn Fabrics. The stuff is just about unbelievable.

Of course, if you're not in the USA, getting it MIGHT be a problem.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Tumblers work great for polishing, they're the industry standard for bulk parts and you can get a mirror finish if you put the time in.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1