Policy Discussion: Off-Site Conversations
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Policy Discussion: Off-Site Conversations
Posted on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It has long been the policy of MAIL that any official business and ongoing conversations regarding MAIL happen here, on the forums. This makes them auditable, archivable, searchable, and generally keep everything in one place.

Please use this thread for discussion relating to this policy, as we work to formalize it in some way.

Submissions: 43

Posted on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 pm

”Small talk” and ”working group” conversation regarding maille, can in my view be held anywhere. Example of ”working group” is weave colaboration where internal shorthand and personal questions May be rapidfire and understandable in the moment by the group, but Will not age well. (Eg weaves such as the wyrms.) I have no problem with the BOD talking about Maille in other places, as long as anything affecting Maille is posted back here.

Anything substantial, should be made known here, basically.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:25 am

I think that all discussion about MAIL policy and procedure should happen on the forum. Discussion about MAIL will happen where ever and I don't think we can keep that from happening.

If it impacts MAIL I can see people starting a discussion outside of the forum here, but if it is to impact MAIL it needs to end here.

I hope this makes sense.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:07 am

MusicMan wrote:
I think that all discussion about MAIL policy and procedure should happen on the forum. Discussion about MAIL will happen where ever and I don't think we can keep that from happening.

If it impacts MAIL I can see people starting a discussion outside of the forum here, but if it is to impact MAIL it needs to end here.

I hope this makes sense.

It makes sense and I agree.

Submissions: 9

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 am

I think it is toxic and alienating to the greater community to hold such a policy up as a shield against discussing policy off-site. It is certainly reasonable to point out that official discussion should happen here so that it is public, auditable, and archived, but at least unofficially, a discussion between membership and staff should happen wherever members are comfortable having it.

As an aside, I believe we should encourage staff to engage in off-site discussions with site users as it has been asserted many times that many do not prefer to use these forums and to some degree that should be accommodated, at least while planned improvements are still forthcoming.

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:50 pm

StudioCastile wrote:
I think it is toxic and alienating to the greater community to hold such a policy up as a shield against discussing policy off-site. It is certainly reasonable to point out that official discussion should happen here so that it is public, auditable, and archived, but at least unofficially, a discussion between membership and staff should happen wherever members are comfortable having it.

As an aside, I believe we should encourage staff to engage in off-site discussions with site users as it has been asserted many times that many do not prefer to use these forums and to some degree that should be accommodated, at least while planned improvements are still forthcoming.

One big group recently refused a BOD member the possibility, from What I assume is a personal conflict. Not just the BOD but everyone should promote discussion here.

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 pm

Quote:
One big group recently refused a BOD member the possibility...

Yes, that happened. That group, for what its worth, is not one I was assuming was even applicable to contact. It is not a general chainmail group but one centered around a particular project. All of that group's members are part of other large groups.

Think of it as a missionary. You go where you are welcome to spread awareness of the thing you want to talk about.

In fact, to potentially overextend the metaphor, religious missionaries may talk to people about their religion but they still tell them to come to church to make it official and learn more.

Submissions: 28

Posted on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:10 pm

MusicMan wrote:

I hold the same stance, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to have the conversation "end up here". I don't like the idea of a "representative" summarizing the discussion and feel like the only acceptable route is to have the discussion occur again here on the forums.

Example: I've discussed this offline with 50 other members, and they agree with me.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:08 am

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Example: I've discussed this offline with 50 other members, and they agree with me.

There’s the major issue.
If it’s not publicly auditable, it becomes suspect.

As even us as the BOD have been accused of “manufacturing conversation” when Members have contacted us via PM in the past.

Posted on Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:37 am

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
MusicMan wrote:

I hold the same stance, but I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to have the conversation "end up here". I don't like the idea of a "representative" summarizing the discussion and feel like the only acceptable route is to have the discussion occur again here on the forums.

I agree with you and musicman here. the solution is simple though. Be open to discussion wherever it happens but if the person starts talking about doing things instead of just talking about things, remind them that official staff actions have to be brought up here. It's that simple. If it leads to rehashing the conversation, it's only to everyone's benefit. It's recorded and open to all members.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1