Hi I am new
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Hi I am new
Posted on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:14 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi, I just learned about the existence of mailleartisans and about mail in general, saw some pieces at a con and I’m super excited to learn more! Just ordered my first pair of pliers and I have some rings to get started with. Advice and instruction much appreciated:)

Submissions: 4

Posted on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:06 am

Start with alpha patterns. You can find them through the weaves home tab. The biggest thing that you should research is AR. It’s basically a unitless measurement of how many wires can fit across the diameter of a ring. It has a huge impact on how the chainmail looks and acts. If you have more questions later on, we will be more than happy to help.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:13 pm

What Dreadkb said -- and volubly. By 'alpha patterns,' he probably means European 4-1 weave and its variants 6-1, 8-1, 8-2. Japanese 4-1 and 6-1. Byzantine for lengths of chain, like Albus Dumbledore's necklace: start out basic, then try the oddballs.

Welcome.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:20 am

An alpha pattern is the basic form of a weave family. Understanding an alpha pattern will help you learn and understand other weaves in the same family. It’s like learning the alphabet before learning to read. Also, look for weaves that have tutorials on this site. If the weave has a tutorial, it will have a notebook icon near the weave name. Be well, and happy weaving.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1