Newbie introduction
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Newbie introduction
Posted on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi everyone I am pleased that I found this site and that I have been allowed to join. I am a Silversmith that has just discovered this delightful art. If any one can let me know of a cheap source for stainless steel wire or pre made rings would they be kind enough to message me. I have made 3 different weaves so far Byzantine, full Persian and half Persian all in silver. They will be arriving back from the Assay office today. The Byzantine necklace I made for myself has an aspect ratio of 4-1 and has a weight of 9 oz and took 8 meters of 1.2 . I will post pictures and look forward to your comments. Really exited and want to learn quite a lot of weaves. Thank you reading my post. Hagrid. Smile Smile Smile Smile Laughing

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:00 pm

Welcome and well come, Hagrid.

The wire suppliers tend to being closely competitive. Stainless wire, however sourced, goes for three to four times what humble galvanized steel wire sells for. That's just the wire.

Ring prices also are closely competitive supplier to supplier. They can offer nice, jewelry-type cuts to their rings.

There is a U.S.-built small electric-powered ring saw-cutter device, dubbed "the Ringinator." It can deliver saw-cut rings of the softer, more sawable metals rapidly, in quantity. You could certainly cut silver-wire rings you've coiled yourself. Doing your own manufacturing in-house is probably the most economical way. Silver being what it is, you probably would want to pickle the rings and hard-solder them shut.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 26

Posted on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I would review this site:
https://armchair-armoury.co.uk/

good site, reasonable range, competitively priced.

Tell em Clym says hi!

Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1