Impossibly hard gal steel wire
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:07 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I ended returning the really hard stuff. It's just a little too much for me at least until I get some practice with some softer stuff first. I went to Tractor Supply, and got a 1/4 mile spool of "Red Brand" galvanized wire. It seems to be a good compromise of hardness. It's a little harder than the stuff from the local hardware store, but not springy like the Field Guardian kind. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'll keep that tip in mind, seems like it would save some time.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:48 pm

I use bolt cutters for mine just to move it along. I also use Klein sidecutters and linesmans ot make it a little easier they have lots of leverage. just be observant of the wire recoiling back and you should be fine. it makes some tough maille.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:20 am

Springy Field Guardian brand wire -- I'd use that stuff for butted mail for sporting uses like how the Creative Anachronists do. It'd be stiffer, and thus its links less likely to bend open. I'd use powerful cutters on the coils, as you found you'd have to.

But the real performer is riveted mail, and the wire suitable for making it. This means nongalvanized and annealed for softness to start out with. From which you can wring that last ten percent of performance -- stab resistance -- by case hardening, by any cementation method. With long baking, cementation can up the carbide and nitrides content of the metal though half its thickness.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2