View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Question/help with inlay project.
Posted on Fri May 11, 2018 1:20 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello.

Question for you all.

I am looking to start a project with an inlay. I was planning do a European 4n1 weave and use 16ga 1/4" aluminum rings. I was trying to keep the piece to about 18 inches wide. Looking to frame the finished piece.

So, my question. If I want to have more detail in the inlay, can I drop down to say 18ga 3/16th ring size? If so, will that be able to support the weight of the piece?

The inlay pattern for one piece is a black and white USMC logo that just displays the anchor, globe and eagle. If I can use the smaller rings, I was going to do the official USMC logo.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Submissions: 20

Re: Question/help with inlay project.
Posted on Fri May 11, 2018 6:08 pm

samelewis wrote:
Hello.

Question for you all.

I am looking to start a project with an inlay. I was planning do a European 4n1 weave and use 16ga 1/4" aluminum rings. I was trying to keep the piece to about 18 inches wide. Looking to frame the finished piece.

So, my question. If I want to have more detail in the inlay, can I drop down to say 18ga 3/16th ring size? If so, will that be able to support the weight of the piece?

The inlay pattern for one piece is a black and white USMC logo that just displays the anchor, globe and eagle. If I can use the smaller rings, I was going to do the official USMC logo.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, dropping down in size, while keeping the same "overall dimensions" will "increase resolution".
As long as you thread whatever is supporting the weight fully through the top row you should be fine. 18g SWG @ 3/16" is more than robust enough to hold itself up in E4-1

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri May 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Now to order some rings.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1