Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 3rd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Another new guy. I had an end game plan of doing some leather bags and saddle with a norse theme for the tooling for my bike. I was going to do some viking knit for pipng accents, but then quickly fell in love with this hobby instead of the copper wire..
I have been playing with rings now for about 6 months, and have replaced the original goal with formal wear accents like the tie, belt and cufflinks for my suits (I just have to find a way to get dragonscale sheet to stand upright to make a kerchief...)
Being a welder/ironworker, I never thought my hobbies would include any waterial that I would have to deal with at work, so I was suprised when the wife came home from a silversmithing class with a couple of the prepackaged projects with an "at-the-time" reasonable price tag (cmon, 30 bucks for a 6 inch long byzantine bracelet???). But I gave it a shot and it was glorious!
Looking forward to many years of blisters, scratches, foul words and amazing artpieces
Giles

Submissions: 582

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Greetings, new maillers

Darwinspitbull,

Regarding your kerchief idea, Dragonscale can be made reasonably inflexible with the right ring sizes. If you’re using the same wire diameter for both the small and large ring, it’s a matter of the AR relationship between the two, keeping them close to the minimum. Right now it’s listed as AR of 3.6 and AR of 5.8, although realistically the values should be 2.0 different. It was set at these values based on the roof of this chainmail house: http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=5866 although the sheets did exhibit a minor pringling effect.

If you use different WDs for each type it gets a bit more complicated.

Either way it sounds like an interesting ensemble. Feel free to post pictures of your work.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Location: NW Florida, Panhandle, Emerald Coast, live 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Posted on Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Very Happy
Hello from Sunny NW Florida. The beaches are beautiful today, but since I'm nursing a cracked rib, I'm staying put IN The house where it's safe (???). [I leaned over the arm of my recliner to pick up a toy for the grand-puppy, and I shouted out in pain. Go figire!]
Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say hello. Thanks for being here, too. I love this site!
Sandy AKA Barefoot Jeweler.

reply to Konstantin
Posted on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 am

Thanks for the welcome Konstantin. Funnily enough, I've already stumbled over there a few times at this point. I plan on getting at least a few coats of maille, and maybe a leather cuirass or two under my belt before I even think of doing plate armor. I definitely need to do more research and get the tools and supplies put together to do that. Maybe sooner, because I'm planning on a suit of Solaire armor from Dark Souls in the future, which'd necessitate a maille hauberk, gambeson, surcoat, greathelm, gorget, as well as greaves and gauntlets. I'll be sure to head over there eventually!

[b]"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer."[b]

Greetings From Wisconsin
Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Good afternoon everyone. My name is Shannon. I have been doing jewelry and chain maille for nearly 15 years now. Looking forward to hearing more and learning more patterns and weaves from those in this community. CHEERS!

Submissions: 9

Newbie Introduction
Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi!

Kat here (aka Jackalgirl). I learned about chainmail a long time ago, but basic 4-in-1 and have branched out to some other stuff. Just finished a bracelet kit from Weave Got Maille and am trying to dust off the rust from my extremely basic skills. I did a search on Google trying to find something like Ravelry, but for chainmail enthusiasts, and found this place. So far, I have not been disappointed. Some of the weaves in the Weaves section are unreal. Amazing! I'm very glad to be here.

Cheers!

saying hello
Posted on Sat May 19, 2018 6:03 am

Hello everyone. I am known as Whiterabbithatter informally of course. I am pleased to have found this site. I am an artisan of many mediums. Chain craft has always been one of my favorite forms of creation, although have never been able to find a suitable outlet of information as far as instructional material and patterns go, until now.

Hi
Posted on Mon May 21, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi, I am Jess. I live in Washington state.
My interest in making jewelry brought me to your site. My background is mainly bead weaving and wire work. Chainmaille has been a useful technical addition.
Though I am very fascinated with so many things I see here, I am not sure I have the dedication and patience to do more than dabble. I am very impressed with the creation of new weaves, which seems to me
a superpower!
Thank you all for sharing so generously!

Hello,Maillers
Posted on Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 pm

My name is Candice. I am a resin jewelry artist working mainly with organics. I am also a beginner wire wrapper. I discovered the art of maille work through several YouTube videos. I obtained a few rings and after several restarts I was finally able to create my first piece of Byzantine chain. I have ordered a large sample set of rings and I can't wait to see what I will create.

Posted on Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Hello members, I am a brand new newbie and I haven't even made anything yet with jump rings. I just got a one LB. bag of beautiful bright aluminum jump rings and will look at some tutorials to learn how to use them. My husband will also be learning with me. Later this summer, we will be attending the Wm. Holland School of Lapidary Arts in Ga. for a two-week course in chain maille, but meanwhile, we want to become familiar with this art so we won't be left in the dust. Smile

Introduction
Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:48 am || Last edited by WickedWeaver on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Good morning fellow weavers,

I am not actually new to this website but I have never posted anything to the forums. So, this is just a short introduction. My name is Christopher Buck and I have been weaving maille since the late 1970s. I got my start when I was a member of the SCA, as an armorer and heavy fighter in the Kingdom of Atlantia. About seven or eight years ago, I started making maille jewelry. However, I took almost an 18 month hiatus from weaving for personal reasons. I have decided it is time to pick up my pliers and start weaving again. My favorite weaves are Byzantine, all of the Persian weaves, and Dragonscale.

My other interests include cooking, reading, medieval and World War II history research, listening to music (almost all genres except rap or death metal), and spending time with my girlfriend.

I am a widower (my wife passed away in 2014), retired nurse and have been disabled since 2003.

So, that is about it as far as who I am. Looking forward to learning some new weaves. Always learning.

Peace,
Chris
the Wicked Weaver

He who dies with the most tools, wins.

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 am

bonacgirl wrote:
Hello members, I am a brand new newbie and I haven't even made anything yet with jump rings. I just got a one LB. bag of beautiful bright aluminum jump rings and will look at some tutorials to learn how to use them. My husband will also be learning with me. Later this summer, we will be attending the Wm. Holland School of Lapidary Arts in Ga. for a two-week course in chain maille, but meanwhile, we want to become familiar with this art so we won't be left in the dust. Smile

The two major tools for any weaver are patience and ingenuity. Stick with it, learn, and you will soon be creating your own maille masterpieces. Smile

Re: reply to Konstantin
Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:19 am

Takanuva wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Konstantin. Funnily enough, I've already stumbled over there a few times at this point. I plan on getting at least a few coats of maille, and maybe a leather cuirass or two under my belt before I even think of doing plate armor. I definitely need to do more research and get the tools and supplies put together to do that. Maybe sooner, because I'm planning on a suit of Solaire armor from Dark Souls in the future, which'd necessitate a maille hauberk, gambeson, surcoat, greathelm, gorget, as well as greaves and gauntlets. I'll be sure to head over there eventually!

I did plate armor and a LOT of barrel helms and Spangenhelms when I was a member of the SCA way back in the early 1980s. Hands are too old now to be banging on steel.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 am

Lapsed SCAdian and former Atlantian, over here in Kingdom of Caid, too.

And the Journey begins....
Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:48 am

Don't feed the TROLL
Hello one and all,

This is my first foray into the realm of chainmail. I have been a fan for years and have tried to get many of my family and friends to dive in, but they are not deep into dreaming, much less fantasizing of/for more than the basics that life has to offer. So, I have decided to take the dive myself. Ha! There ya go! Take that! Stuff it in yer pipe and smoke that!

I am....

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 12. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next