New member looking for info on mandrels for my Pepe jr maker
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

New member looking for info on mandrels for my Pepe jr maker
Posted on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:32 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,

My name is Louanne and I’m from Mississauga, Ontario, a suburb of Toronto. I’ve only been into making chain maille for about a year, but I am obsessed. I got tired of not having the ring sizes I needed when I found a project I wanted to do. Even though I’m close to The Ring Lord I still hate waiting. So I bought a Pepe jump ring maker 2.0. This might not be the right forum for this and if it isn’t I apologize and maybe you can direct me where to go.

The PJRM mandrels come in sizes from 2-12mm going up in increments of .5. So what do I do if I need 3/16 or 5/16? Are there more specific mandrels I can buy? Does anyone else have a PJRM and what do you do?

I asked another experienced mailler about it and he suggested focusing on AR but if a project calls for a 18g 5/16 Which I believe is a 6.6 ar do I just look for the closest in what I have? Or do I get more precise mandrels.

Thanks everyone for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

LouLou

Posted on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

What you would like to know, to take your example, is whether it matters that you use an 8mm mandrel instead of a 7.94mm mandrel. That's a difference of less than one percent. There are very few weaves that are that intolerant of variation of AR.

Implicit in that response is that it depends upon the weave you plan to use for the project. Some weaves, like Candycane, are much less tolerant of departure from their recommended AR than others. Most weaves have a minimum workable AR, and our library entries here will often identify that. Some weaves have a maximum AR, and nearly all will identify either an ideal AR or at least the AR that the poster used. If the variation between the AR computed from inches and the AR computed from the nearest half-millimeter wouldn't take the weave beyond its minimum or maximum, the weave will usually still work.

I say "usually" because, of course, there are special cases. For Dragonscale, for example, the smaller rings have to be able to fit inside the larger rings, so the relationship between the ring sizes imposes an additional constraint.

Since your mandrels have a fixed step size of 0.5mm, the effect on AR will be most apparent at the small end of the range. Since you can round to the nearest 0.5mm, the maximum difference that will need to be accommodated is half of that. You can easily figure that at 2mm, a difference of 0.25mm will result in an AR difference of no more than 13%, so if your target AR is around 3.5 (say), your actual AR would be at most somewhere around 0.4 different from that.

At 4mm, 8mm, and 12mm, the maximum percentage differences of AR would be roughly 6%, 3%, and 2%, respectively. As a test of significance, unless you are using a very particular weave, anything difference at or below 4% or so is negligible, and most weaves will be much more tolerant than that.

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying that the mandrels you already have should work just fine for almost everything.

Thank you for a great response
Posted on Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:13 pm

That was a great response. I had previously purchased pre-made jump rings from a reputable seller. I also recently purchased a Digital Caliper. I tested many of the rings and they are not all exactly what they are labelled as. So yes, I’m not going to focus so much on the mandrel sizes. As long as it is close enough for the weave to work I’m good. Thank you for taking the time to write such a great explanation!

Louanne

Submissions: 9

Posted on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 am

Hi Louanne. There's a monthly chainmaille meetup at Bead Dynasty in Scarborough if you are interested in coming to hang out with us while we make stuff. It's mostly jewelry people, all women. Email me if you want the details - gillian(at)layer9.net

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1