Help with Ring Sizes
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Help with Ring Sizes
Posted on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am still relatively new at chainmaille. I have made several bracelets and necklaces but they have been on the easy side. Looking to make a Hand Flower, and I have found the design I want, but the ring sizes listed, I cannot find anywhere, at least not exactly. Is there anyone that can help me understand what would work size wise?

Thank you
Amber

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:35 pm

you would have to link us to the hand flower you are referring to. or at the very least let us in on what ring sizes they are.

Posted on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:46 pm

The suggested Materials are the following per tutorial:

1.2mm 5/32" (3.97mm)ID
0.8mm 1/8" (3.18mm)ID

I understand the ID stands for Inner Diameter.

Then on down in the tutorial is says to use 16G 5/32" and 20g 1/8". I just can't find these exact sizes anywhere but on the website I got the tutorial and the materials come from Australia. I'm not willing to pay the extra surcharges to have it shipped. I know that sounds bad, but it is rather expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 pm

If making your own rings is outside of your current box, The Ring Lord would probably have what you're looking for in any number of metals.

http://theringlord.com/

For example, in bright aluminum, machine cut...

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=16&cat=Machine+Cut+Bright+Aluminum+Jump+Rings

The Gauge gets a little tricky, as you need to know whether the site is giving you measurements in AWG or SWG. As they (your handflower site) were helpful enough to give you the diameter of the wire, looking at the stats on the TRL site, you can see in the fine print that their 18G is the same diameter (1.2 mm) as the listed 16G on your site in Australia.

So for the larger rings, you could order a bag of 1000 rings (item AB18532).

The smaller rings look like they'd be item AB2018 for a bag of 1000 on the TRL site.

They're based out of Canada, but shipping isn't terrible...certainly better than AU.

Posted on Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:02 am

Thank you so much! I have ordered from TRL once before and I love their rings and their prices are very reasonable. The explanation of the sizes was most helpful, I'll definitely give it another look and order from them since I've got an account set up.

Thanks again!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:22 pm

Learning about AR or Aspect Ratio will help with figuring out ring sizes. Once you understand AR it's easy to figure out what will or won't work.

ID/WD=AR

So long as the AR is the same the weave will look as it should, it may be bigger or smaller as a whole but the look will remain the same.

This thread also sheds some more light on AR and it's effects on rings.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:15 am

Thank you as well. I will definitely look that over when considering sizes. I'm one of those people that understands and remembers thing better when others explain it. I've read about ID and AR and other things about sizes from the books I have, but having someone else put it in other words, it clicks better.

Thank you
Amber

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1