What have I made?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 5

What have I made?
Posted on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Here is the finished chain coiled up. I used AL rings with an AR of 4.9 (.315/.064). The chain is perfectly symmetrical and moderately flexible. I presume it's a known weave I just can't seem to pin it down. It's a mix of euro with helm edges, it looks like a whole bunch of weaves but it's not anything I've been able to match to.

Here it is laying on a cutting board, the loop is as tight as I could make it without causing the edges to curl up.

A close up looking down the chain, ignore the copper ring on the right it's just a marker/count ring. I'm also now going to have to find that horrible closure on the left side...

It started as a 4 in 2 chain, then I added a row of rings to each side followed by another row of locking rings over those. You can see the build progression from right to left.

It's a neat chain that's simple to make. I'm using mine as a mitten hanger, the clothes pins hold well on the ring edges, the items are easily folded over the edge and it's plenty strong enough to hold a dozen wet gloves or mittens even at 37 inches long. It would make a great strap for a purse or a guitar strap but it's kinda thin. I haven't been able to expand it into a larger sheet but I think I've figured out why, I just have to test it out with a real build.

This was going to be a part of my entry in theme contest 26 but I was too busy and didn't get to it in time.

So anyone know what it is?

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:41 pm

very cool. i havnt seen it in the weave library or the gallery for that matter.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:35 pm

It looks like an E4-1 core, but the boarder is certainly new, at least to me. I love the way it makes the piece look!

Posted on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:39 pm

After a hundred views with no ID, I've submitted it as a new weave called Four Core (for a single unit) and Four Core Chain (for the chain version). Both are still pending in the queue but I only submitted them last night.
I'll also get articles for each one written up once they are approved.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

I'd say it's a Euro/Helm hybrid... Possibly not similar in construction approach, but very similar in finished result.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 pm

I'd hesitate to say there's any helm there, it just looks like it. If you look closely you can see it's just euro 6-1 with the rings on the edges (the ones that look like helm) not going through each other like normal. And this would be expandable by making the strip wider, but then it would look even more like just euro 6-1 with fancy edges.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 am

ya you are right it doesn't even have three levels of stacked links like helm does. and since it's e 6in1 with a dropped connection it's a pattern not a weave. maybe article material more than a weave submission. it is an interesting fringe for 6in1.

Posted on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 am || Last edited by Levi on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Agreed, it's not Helm it just looks like it. It's in effect E6-1 with a locking ring.

Seeing as this can be made as a single unit or into a chain, is easy to make, doesn't currently have a descriptor better than "a generic Euro/Helm variant of some kind....", has some neat behaviours and doesn't look like any other E/H variant I've ever made or could find an example of, I figured it needed a name so I gave it one... I took the name from the four rings at the core of the chain as shown below in step 1.

I've tested it with rings with an AR of 8.1 (way too big, tumbled into a messy pile) and rings with an AR of 3.8 (EDIT tried 4.2 same thing, too tight to fit the locking rings in.), so now I just need to narrow down the range a bit more.

Widening the strip, while keeping it tight enough so the outer rings still lock has been a challenge thus far. It's the angles and tension in the core rings that cause the outer rings to lock and that's a fine line it seems. If simply expanded using E6-1 it gets too loose and the locking rings fall out of place. Once I've pinned down the AR range I'll go back to trying to widen the strip. The core has to grow for the the locking to take place but it can only grow so much before your AR is too small to fit the extra rings to expand or widen it.

The reason I would distinguish it as a distinct weave over a E6-1 pattern is due to the locking of the rings that only occurs at certain AR which affects the behaviours that go with it. What makes JPL work? The AR, likewise this only works at a certain AR. It only works due to the tension in the core which only happens when the AR is just right.

Build a strip with any AR 4.9 rings and you'll soon understand what I mean.

Either way, it's here and people can use it.

Mostly Harmless

Posted on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:43 am

Here are some more images to help display it's behaviours. Sorry for the variety in the image lighting, still tweaking out the lighting over there. All of the chain shots are of the same chain.

Showing the symmetry and poor closures.

Coiled around like this it would fit around a broom handle.

Folded over itself, the space inside the loop is just under an inch.

The ends can be seamed to the edges for T-type connections in a bunch of ways, here's the cheap way I did it.

I also seamed two strips together using Wrong-way E4-1 connections between them. It works but I don't like it, I'll figure out something better.

It doesn't bend very far edge-wise.

I forgot to get a shot of the chain twisted length-wise end to end. You can twist one end of the chain around 360 degrees, once the chain is around six inches long.

Hope those help people get a better fell for whatever this is, can do. I'd also like to see any uses others make out of it.

Enjoy!

Mostly Harmless

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1