how many people here weld chainmail
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

how many people here weld chainmail
Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Im debating on looking into getting a cheap spot welder. How many people weld chainmail? I would like to do it more for the sake I can. I have a few projects in galvy under my belt and want to move to stailess so I figure why not weld it as well. Ill probably stick to mainly stainless and galvy with some aluminum for colors later on. Titanium is to expensive for me unless I need strength and color down the road

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 5:22 am

Be careful with welding galvy. The fumes are poisonous.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 5:54 am

This I know. Im a welder by trade. I prob wouldn't weld galvy just stainless and ti. I beleive you can weld aluminum with spot too right?

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 8:35 am

I'd guesstimate that there are probably less than 100 hobbyists and perhaps a dozen corporations that weld maille.

Technically you can weld aluminum with a spot welder but it isn't worth the hassle in my experience. No one does it commercially and that's not for lack of trying. It's a real PITA for resistance welding, and basically the entire ring gets annealed so there isn't really any strength gained.

GTAW will likely get you better results, if you have the skill and equipment to weld two aluminum cans together you can also do rings.

If you just want aluminum for color then keep in mind that you can't weld anodized aluminum by resistance methods. I've never tried to TIG it but I suspect that would be problematic as well.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 390

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 10:36 am

i weld stainless, titanium, and argentium silver with my modified spot welder designed by lorenzo (above). my set up includes argon shielding for high strength shiny welds and a 20 amp variac for increased consistency welds. less than 5% of my orders are for welded chainmaille though. in the future, i'm hoping to make a welded titanium hauberk as my chainmaille master piece. i'm working on finding a supplier of titanium that can offer me polished wire instead of etched (just for aesthetics). also, i'm testing different weaves and gauges ballistically to see what will actually protect the best and be light enough to wear. you might want to read my article on welding chainmaille:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.php?key=636

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 4:15 pm

So really stainless and unanodized titanium are the only too. Dang not really worth it in my book for now. I didnt even think of the anodization effecting metal as far as welding. I was hoping to be all cool without the extra time and hassle of riveting. Looks like I wont be cool for a while. Lol

Submissions: 244

Posted on Thu May 22, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to weld anodized titanium with TIG. The anodized layer is very thin and breaks down at mid to low voltages. It will likely discolor in the HAZ though.

Aluminum oxide on the other hand is much thicker and is also a very good electrical insulator.

www.mailletec.com

Y'know, that might just be crazy enough to work!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri May 23, 2014 5:04 am

The guy who makes welded large-size mail as a business is poster Knuut -- Gordon Osterstrom to the outside world. His stuff is of medieval diameters. Weldedchainmail.com.

The guys who make welded stainless Frodo-mail (butchers' mail, shark mail) are the likes of AZON and Whiting&Davis. Or their successors; I can hardly keep track of who's in and who's out. This material is so fine-grained it looks like heavy, shiny, gray cloth from a little distance, more sci-fi than medieval.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:00 pm

It would be just GREAT if someone could do a welded a patch of E4in1 2x2 units with all welding methods like Resistance Spot Welding ,Stick Welding, TIG welding, MIG welding, etc...

If specifications are made as to the wire type and thickness, as well as the ID and AR, it can be a community project.
Other people can try soldering or solder soldering or brazing, or even super glue, and we can also strength test the rings.

Posted on Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm

With Ti you could simply annodize after construction.
You might need a larger setup but a variegated effect could be accomplished buy raising the pieces out of the bath as you adjust the voltage.

I'm not sure if winding or cutting would mar a polished wire.
If you can find a supplier I'm sure b3, TRL, C&t, and the other big suppliers would be interested in it as well.

Posted on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Figured I'd chime in on this one, phosphor bronze welds decent too.

Edited, here's the welded stainless (right) and titanium (left) rectangular wire rings in a 4 in 1 pattern:

They're nice pieces Wink
Jesse

"When good men die there goodness does not perish/ But lives though they are gone."

Euripides

Submissions: 4

Posted on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:12 am

I've been welding jewelry size rings using a micro pulse welder, mostly using silver. I have a bunch of Titanium rings to do also. However, I learned the hard way Titanium forms an extremely brittle weld in open air. I need to jury rig argon before I do a Titanium project.

You can't expect to weild supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1