Calculating Rings needed when changing sizes, ratios?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Calculating Rings needed when changing sizes, ratios?
Posted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hopefully this is in the right place . . .

I am trying to estimate the number of rings I will need for some upcoming projects (chains weaves, not sheets). I have made samples of most of the weaves but I want to make the projects in another size (smaller).

Is there a simple way to calculate materials for a different size by using a known ring size and ring count per inch (2.54 cm)?

For example I made some boxweave with wire diameter 1.19 mm and ID ring size 5.91 mm. Using those rings I estimate about 22 rings per 254 mm. Is there a way to use ratios to calculate roughly how many rings would be in an inch if I used 0.8 mm wire with an ID of 4.11 mm?

It seems like there should be a method to do this but I can't figure it out and couldn't find it when searching the forum. I have the feeling it not as simple as using ID of the rings but I am not sure. I am hoping that any math weirdness due to weave pattern will cancel out of the equation so there is a simple way to do it across weaves regardless of how the rings are joined.

thanks,

pa

Posted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:36 pm

A few of the more common weaves are hear.
zlosk.com/~zlosk/maille/jewelry.html
It may help to figure out the math for additional weaves.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:13 pm

5.91/4.11=254/x=22n,,,even that will be off slightly because if there is an ar difference.

Submissions: 390

Posted on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:52 pm

if i'm understanding correctly, you want to use a ratio calculation to find ring number in a different size weave.

cross multiply the ratios to find x (the number of rings in the new weave)

but you must use the same units for both ratios. you can't mix mm and inches.

number of rings in existing weave / inches in existing weave = number of rings in new weave (x) / inches in new weave

http://www.aaamath.com/rat-prop-crossx.htm

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:16 am

If the rings' Aspect Ratio is maintained when changing wire diameters (and so ring diameters), the woven length per ring scales in linear weaves directly with the scaling factor. For area weaves, the area per ring scales with the square of scaling factor - and cubed for scaled 3D weaves.

It gets difficult, for most weaves (and quasi all weaves that have no perpendicular ring interaction), if the AR changes when scaling a weave - in this case most times only more or less 'fair estimations' are possible. I cannot explain the technique, as it varies with the weave, but can tell, that even an experienced mailler needs to experiment, most times, and rather prefers to acquire or make same-AR as used-to rings, when such a scaling up or down shall be done, and ring count estimates are needed beforehand. But this is recommended anyway, as so also the weave's geometric behaviour is maintained.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Ar and ring count
Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. I know I need to keep the units the same to have them cancel I guess I just got messing in my post when I was trying to include the metric folks (they are the majority, I want to make sure they don't get mad Smile ). Sorry about that.

I guess I was just having trouble getting it all right in my mind. It looks like I was close.

So I should be able to use ratios to get the right answer if the AR's are the same. If the AR's differ then ratios and some sort of a fudge factor should get me in the ballpark. If the AR is less on the estimated ring I would assume the number of rings needed should be higher than the ratio calculation, or isn't it that simple? (The opposite would be true if the estimated AR is higher.)

If I start to figure anything out that seems to show a pattern I will share it (though this will probably take some weeks until I get that far along in multiple projects).

thanks a bunch,

pa

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1