A humble request for close-ups of cut rings.
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 24

A humble request for close-ups of cut rings.
Posted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm writing a book (well "book-let" really Smile) about mailleing in general in swedish, mainly because every book I've come across falls short in my opinion. Often or not no mention of A.R. whatsoever and no two books give the same weaves the same names. I'm currently working on writing the process of creating the rings, and there are two areas of cutting rings I'm not experienced with; handcutting with a jewelers saw and cutting rings with shear cuts. I would greatly appreciate close-ups of the kind of cuts you would get from these two types of methods, and the permission to use those pictures in my book, with due accreditations of course!

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 pm

are you buying the links for your gallery submissions or making them yourself? a lot of the cuts in your gallery look sheer cut to me,,or is it you can't take a close up photo?

why not save the photos for actual weave ideas and do the old >< ll // thing to exemplify the different cuts??

Posted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:19 am

As far as I know, none of the rings I've used are actually shear-cut. I've never used the tool myself, and the rings I've bought are machine-cut from TheRingLord. The rest are either handcut using the score and break method and sawcut using a ringinator.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:29 am

machine cut, score and brake and shear cut are more or less the same from my understanding. you might do better to put information from your own experience in this booklet rather than discourse on the unfamiliar. personally I would not present cutting links with shears as a viable option however I hear some people do it.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I could find merit in a few pictures and a quick note beside each of them.

After a while you'll realize the difference it makes on your own but I would have enjoyed seeing an overall quick compare of the two types of cut when I was starting out.

First picture: Two closed rings shown from above, one saw cut, the other shear cut. Make note of the closure.

Optional Second picture: Two closed rings shown from the side, one saw cut, the other shear cut. Again, make note of the closure.

Third picture: Two small weaved section of say E4-1 with a low AR, one made from saw cut links the other from shear cut links. Make note of how the closures are more visible with shear vs saw.

In this case three (maybe only two) small pictures would be enough to exemplify the difference between the two type of cuts and the visual effect one has over the other in a more finished state.

You either have a ring with nice square ends that seam to near invisible thanks to saw cutting or you have shear cut ring that sustained some sort of deformation on one or both of the ends when being cut resulting in a much more visible seam.

A note regarding the AR losses from the saw blade kerf may be worth mentioning.

I have a bunch of mild steel and aluminum coils that need to be cut. My new saw and blades should be here in a few days. I gave the guys over at TRL some sugar then persuaded them to speed up the order, seems to have worked Wink Anyway once I have the new saw I'll cut up some rings and try to get some decent pics for you.

Mostly Harmless

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:02 pm

http://www.chainmaildude.com/ringcomp.html

Feel free to use any of these, with photo credit, of course

Andre "Ironband" Miron
West Coast Chainmail - saw cut loose links and more!
www.chainmaildude.com

Posted on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks a lot! Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1