Run away!!!
43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 16

Submissions: 3

Invertebrates and metals?
Posted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

So, in a semi-pshychotic state last night I decided to keep a large spider indoors. (A. Arauntia for the curious) And I wondered something: do spiders mind walking on metal? I know most insects hate copper, but I never tried spiders. I needed an excuse to use a ton of rings to build a Byzantine web and want to know if I can get the spider to build a web from it. I will probably use bright aluminum.

These are fleeting moments within we live.
In tomorrow I die.
Unto today I live forever.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

I wouldn't keep a spider inside, but I don't chase out the ones which are already here. Well, except for the Huntsman spiders. Sometimes. More because they would alarm other people. The local species we have here is a lovely grey colour. And they eat cockroaches! YAY!

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Posted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:58 pm

I live in north Florida, and huntsman spiders are here but rare. We have lots of Banana Spiders and Carolina Wolf Spiders. I already keep a wolf spider, named Itsy-Bit**y.

In tomorrow I die.

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:43 pm

Have to say I don't mind the smaller spiders, but don't like the big ones like huntsmen that can move really fast: "The prey is not captured in a web but actively stalked and run-down with stealth and speed."

www.melodytallon.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 am

I would happily let spiders live in my home if they promised to eat all the roaches, stay out of sight, play nice with the cats, and not build webs. Also, I think these are hilarious. Very Happy
http://www.quickmeme.com/Misunderstood-Spider/

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:57 am

I don't like having spiders in the house, but I usually take them outside rather than killing them.

I used to be a lot more prone to squashing them, and then I came across this. And now killing spiders feels like killing Lassie. (Also, every pet deserves an owner as loving and dedicated as TarantualGuy1976).

Submissions: 13

Posted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:24 pm

BrassButtons wrote:
I don't like having spiders in the house, but I usually take them outside rather than killing them.

I used to be a lot more prone to squashing them, and then I came across this. And now killing spiders feels like killing Lassie. (Also, every pet deserves an owner as loving and dedicated as TarantualGuy1976).

Some spiders, particularly the smaller ones, will die when you take them outside if it's cold enough. Some small ones you can see inside have evolved to live within the warm area together with us (I don't remember where I read this, but it was from a science page). I don't know what part of the world you live in so I can't tell if they will die when you take them outside or not Razz

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:52 pm

I have no problem with having a spider in the house. In fact I'm used to it, my brother kept tarantulas. As far as whether spiders like walking on metal, one of my brother's tarantulas often hangs upsidedown from the metal mesh lid trying to pull it apart with its fangs so it can get out (she succeeded actually, my brother had to get a new lid to keep the evil bugger inside), so I'd doubt that spiders would have an issue with metal. However, getting the spider on the same page as you as to where you want the web might be interesting, lol.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Heh heh, that tarantula is awesome. Now I want a T. Blondi.

In tomorrow I die.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1