**Brainstorming for the theme of Contest 21***
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 100

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:16 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

second science fiction,,it would be a good chance for someone to make a shirt out of those clear plastic rings TRL is selling.

Submissions: 2

Re: scales
Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 pm

djgm wrote:
did we do scales? I think it would work out well because we would save time with them taking up room.

Not sure, but I'll second scales.

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:32 pm

I will second graduation, colors or scales Smile

Submissions: 28

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm

Suggesting: Pretzel Maille.

I can think of two interpretations for that.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:46 pm

List of all suggested themes.
themes with an asterisk (*) in front of them have been seconded so no need to second them again.

*graduation
*unusual rings
*multi-coloured
*music
armour
*scales
*science fiction
pretzel maille

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 am

Suggest: Alpha Weaves

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 am

My standard recommendation: Spair rings.

We all have a few thousand rings lying around that we haven't used. Use them to make something new!

For people like me, who make our own links, this would probably be particularly challanging. If I need a specific AR for a project, I make it--and over-make it, so I have leftovers. And I'm used to dealing with links that I generally know will work. Could be fun to find out what I can make when that's taken away.

Submissions: 61

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 am

Dinwar wrote:

We all have a few thousand rings lying around that we haven't used. Use them to make something new!

For people like me, who make our own links, this would probably be particularly challanging. If I need a specific AR for a project, I make it--and over-make it, so I have leftovers. And I'm used to dealing with links that I generally know will work. Could be fun to find out what I can make when that's taken away.

Well... people like me, who have just started, and who purchase rings rather than making them... I haven't had time to accumulate "spare" rings. Or one could argue that all my rings are "spare", since I tend to buy rings first and think of a project afterwards; as with my beading, I like to build up a palette of components to choose from, so that I can start projects with what I have, rather than deciding on a project and waiting for the materials to arrive. I guess it's different when you make your own rings, since you would already have the materials - wire - to choose from, and making the rings, for you, is part of the project as a whole.

I mean, I understand the concept - I've been beading long enough that I have "spare" beads, those one or two odd beads leftover from one project or another - but I haven't been doing maille long enough to have "spare" links yet.

Craft isn't cheaper than therapy, but it's more fun.
http://www.essence-of-eclectic.com

Submissions: 13

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 am

Second spare links

Question about it- I make a lot of rings before I actually make something. Now I have made a bit over a thousand links and want to make a hauberk from them (when my count reaches five-digit at least). Does that still count as spare rings since they aren't used in a project yet but are thought to be as the number of links made increases?

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 13

Theme: headwear
Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 am

theme: headwear

Coifs, mantles, hoods etc
It could prove to be a fun thing to do Very Happy

"When in doubt... C4" - Jamie Hyneman

My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/wpa09
My band: http://www.facebook.com/carnosus

"This is an art form, and we love to be recognized for our own work, and we'd all hope not to be confused with someone else."
- Charon, March 27, 2009

Submissions: 582

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:47 am

Dinwar wrote:

This would give me an unfair advantage, as I have over one million spare rings (maybe two) in over 1000 types. I would be only limited to the total number of any given type, but even if I ran out of one, in certain cases I could shift to the next 128th of an inch above and/or below to finish something off, or pick a different metal type in the same size, etc...

That's how it is in Chainmailia, the land of chainmail. Needlenose Pliers

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 28

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

How do we all get residence in Chainmailia? Coif LoL

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 26

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

This would give me an unfair advantage, as I have over one million spare rings (maybe two) in over 1000 types. I would be only limited to the total number of any given type, but even if I ran out of one, in certain cases I could shift to the next 128th of an inch above and/or below to finish something off, or pick a different metal type in the same size, etc...

You know ye old and much venerated basket...... My eyes may deceive me but that looks to me like a stated assumption of an easy victory. It may not be a case of how many links you use, but how you use them.......

Submissions: 22

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Dinwar wrote:

I have some concern with this "spare rings" theme: what exactly is a spare ring?
- I do "have a few thousand rings lying around that [I] haven't used", but it's actually my regular stock. (Well, I may have several "few thousand" actually.)
- I've also a little stock of substandard rings, but they are not "spare" by the usual meaning.
- I have leftovers from some projects (or from the time I made my owns myself). It doesn't really falls in the regular stock category since it's materials/sizes I don't intent to re-supply ... unless i got a new project needing them. But I can pretty much say the same thing of my regular stock.

I guess the third category are spare rings, as long as I don't buy/make more of them. But honestly the distinction with my regular stock is very thin.
So "spare rings" are who-knows-where between "nothing" and "every unused rings I have".

Submissions: 8

Posted on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Officially seconding colorful (3 or more colors) maille. Rainbows, or whatever you want to call it.
Thirding (needlessly) unusual rings.

It's funny that these were two of the first suggestions. I was just looking yesterday at a huge lot of unusual, colorful rings. I was going to do something super cool with them no matter what the contest was. Now I just need to think of something super cool. Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 7. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next