Good all around pliers
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 16

Good all around pliers
Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So someone here had recommended "Xuron 475" pliers in another thread. I was looking those up and they are short nose pliers. Are these good for all gauges (I mostly work with 16 and 18 gauge) and size or just the smaller ones?

I have also been looking at "The ChainMaille Lady" snub nose pliers, but wonder if those are good for the smaller rings.

Both of these are about $10 a pair.

I had a decent set of bent chain nose ones that work fairly well for the 16g rings. Then I have a cheap set (I think $6 each) of thinner chain nose that I had gotten for the smaller/thinner rings, but I am not happy with.

I want to get another set, but wondered if there was something out there that would be good for both larger and smaller rings ... and not too expensive. Or maybe I just need both sets.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 am || Last edited by djgm on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total

you can never have too many. and since i probly wont be able to resist plugging for small visegrips by the end of this thread I just have to say I swear by them for 12swg all the way down to 18swg stainless, they might scratch softer metals though. I've been using the Nylon jaw pliers from TRL for 16swg soft metals lately they are a bit cumbersome but manager a 3/16" Jens Pind Linkage ok.

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 am

Yeah, I only use aluminum rings. I need something with a good grip, but not too strong I guess.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 am

see edit ^

Posted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 am

I was just doing some more research and decided to order some from TRL. I got their wide nose ones; I found several people raving about them online and they were only $6 a pair.

I have been meaning to order more scales too, so it worked out. Now to wait two weeks to get it all and hope the new pliers work well :p

I may still end up getting more later Needlenose Pliers Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1