Armor
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 14

Armor
Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:12 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Howdy folks,

Been ages. I've been asked to make my husbands co-worker a SS maille apron that can be worn over leather. Before I agree to this I'd need to learn a lot. If there is anyone out there that deals with making functional armor would you please be willing to help me figure out if I can make this to keep this man safe.

His hobby is knife making. He wants some extra protection to put over the leather apron he has. Just in case. Would prefer no punctures or lacerations but knows that is unrealistic. So as long as wounds can be kept to no deeper than .2".

My thoughts are 14g 1/4". He's not making extremely thin blades. If the blade gets away from him, it will most likely be while buffing or sharpening, so it's gonna have some kick.

I know I need to find out exactly what he's looking for but there's no need to draw up plans if I can't make it to actually protect.

Blue Skies,
Skygodess

"If you're living on the edge you're taking up too much room. JUMP!" - heard while chatting with BASE jumping friends Very Happy

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

I would suggest an apron made of phone books before I would suggest a butted mail apron. SRSLY. Bonus, it's lighter.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 76

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am

I know you want to weave each ring to make it, but a practical protection apron would need to be made from machine welded stainless steel mail, which would be both stronger and also lighter.

You could buy the welded mail fabric in sheets, and then tailor it to size and shape for an apron, by snipping and weaving with split rings.

Honestly, for a functional mail apron, I believe you can buy one already made like a butcher would wear.

If you really want to do it ring-by-ring, look into stainless split rings like Dr. T makes his shirts from.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/members/memberdisplay.php?key=3550
That would probably offer some degree of knife-resistance as compared to butted mail (YMMV).

I agree with Lorraine above, butted mail won't cut it for functional use IMO.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:19 am

Actually, in re-reading your initial post, it appears you are looking for some really serious protection. Knuut makes fully welded stainless heavy mail for LARP combat. It's probably some tough stuff. Have no idea if it is tough enough.

Kevlar might be a better choice. Coif Smiley

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 am

Kevlar is tough but it doesn't do so well against sharp edges, What I make is about the strongest stuff anyone knows how to make. It handles WMA and BOTN combat easily enough but industrial accidents, especially involving power tools, are too unpredictable to generalize.

weldedchainmail.com

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 am

Actually I was thinking 16g not 14g.

Why on earth would you assume I would use butted ring on a functional piece?

Honestly, I've told hubby to tell the guy it would be cheaper to buy a chainmaille butcher's apron. But it's not what he wants. He wants me to make him one. THAT's why I am looking for someone with functional armor making experience. I want it to be as safe as it can be. Very Happy

Sky

"If you're living on the edge you're taking up too much room. JUMP!" - heard while chatting with BASE jumping friends Very Happy

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 am

I think The folks that make mail for TRL would sell you a sheet of welded stuff.
then you could fit and tailor or modify it to fit.

talk with the customer, and have some real data about cost, weight, and strength.
After understanding the weight difference, stiching welded mail to the leather apron may seam like a reasonable idea.

Posted on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'll take this info to this guy & let him decide. I've already told him several times it would be cheaper to go with something from a place that does this professionally. He keeps insisting that I can do this & that it is ONLY an extra layer of protection.

Thank you for agreeing with my assessment. IF I do go ahead with this I will definitely still only use welded rings for the body portion. Any straps can be added however need be.

Thanks again!

Sky Very Happy

Submissions: 26

Posted on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Sorry for the late post but maybe waxed or resin soaked leather might be the way to go. I would test it thoroughly first of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_leather

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1