Liability Insurance for vending at an event
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 6

Liability Insurance for vending at an event
Posted on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,

Well, I'm finally going to break away from the little gaming conventions and do a larger event this fall...but the organizer wants me to provide a proof of liability insurance certificate. Not really sure what this is going to cost me or where to go to get one, so I thought I'd ask those of you who do lots of shows and whatnot to share your wisdom with me...

Thanks in advance,

Andre

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 pm

You might want to start with your local insurance provider of home or renter's insurance. The company you deal with might be able to write up a policy for you.

You can also do an online search for 'artist craft insurance'. Lots of companies specialize in this kind of insurance. It's very affordable and you will be very happy you have it when/if someone walks off with a suitcase full of your stuff when you are packing or unpacking for a show and take your eyes off of it for a second.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 6

Posted on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks Lorraine - I just couldn't think of the right terms to search for - I'm on the right track now!

(This is why I love M.A.I.L.)

Andre

Posted on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:22 pm

Ah, I see that some of the providers break up 'general liability' and 'product liability' into different policies. The kind the organizer wants you to get is general liability. If you are going to be doing lots of shows, I highly recommend spending the money for product liability as well. Smile

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 390

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am

the ren faires require me to have product liability insurance. this just means they will pay if someone has an accident in your shop or with your merchandise. it doesn't cover product being stolen. it's $170 per year through wells fargo.

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:32 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
the ren faires require me to have product liability insurance. this just means they will pay if someone has an accident in your shop or with your merchandise. it doesn't cover product being stolen. it's $170 per year through wells fargo.

mithrilweaver, the ren fairs require you to have general liability insurance, not product liability insurance. That's so event management is not the one sued by event-goers if they are injured in the space they rent to you to use during the show. Product liability insurance covers you personally from theft and loss of your product in transit and at the ren faires.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 390

Posted on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:09 pm

i understand what your saying, but i'm looking at my policy and it says right on it what it covers and what it doesn't. perhaps there are different meanings for similar named policies. all i know is that the ren faires i go to require this bare minimum insurance and they call it "product liability insurance."

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1