coin wrapping
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 17

coin wrapping
Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:21 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

would anyone explian to me how you wrap a coin in chain maille? ive seen pictures but i could never figure out how to do it. thanks!

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 am

when wrapping anything you need to get that magic length for it to be tight. larger rings have a larger increment between stitches, making it harder to hit that magic length. if you have a good mandrel set you can hit the magic length by using the exact right size of ring.

the other option for people with fewer mandrel options is to use smaller wire and smaller rings for wraps.

your 17ga 1/4 or 3/16 galvanized steel rings will be hard to use to wrap a coin. you might have better luck with 20ga 1/8" rings.

also, learn hp3 and 3/4p
Half Persian 3 in 1
Three Quarters Persian

good luck. wrapping is 90% trial and error.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:45 am

Hoodoo, windmill, alligator back, helm, E4-1 with 6-1...
Vast options, but hp 3-1 is the most used.
Measure the length of chain needed, make it, join ends (there are articles on joining hp here and on cgmaille.com)
Like Chao said, it needs to be tight.
And just to be safe, I often use Epoxy glue to keep the coin in place.
Then I let someone play with it for a while to know if it really stays the way it's supposed to.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm

thanks! i currently don't have an official sized mandrel, i use a nail that happens to be about a quarter inch. for the others i use random bars as well. i'll have to see if i can find anything that is about an eighth of an inch!

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 pm

what size coin is good for wrapping in that measurement?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:52 pm

herrhenson wrote:
what size coin is good for wrapping in that measurement?

The wonderful thing about Half Persian 3 in 1 (especially) is that it creates a neat V shape for the coin to sit in... So essentially ANY coin can be wrapped Very Happy

You may need to vary the ID of the rings slightly, depending on how the ring count around the coin works out...

Really, coin wrapping should be done with a REALLY varied set of mandrels, a lot of patience, and a lot of trial and error... There is no easy answer unfortunately.

Submissions: 153

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm

The easy answer is Alligator back. You can wrap most coins with 20g(0.8mm) 1/8.

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/photo/making-change?context=user

Keeping with a 4.0 AR you can easily step down to a 22g(0.6mm) 3/32 if you need a smaller border or want to wrap a dime.

Alligator back needs no glue, will not slip off, and is easy to size to the item being wrapped. It also does sharper corners. Not just round objects.

http://corvuschainmaille.ning.com/photo/wrapped-mirror-pendant?context=user

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:00 am

ok, ill have to try both Alligator Back and Hp 3 in 1! and i have a stupid question. lol what is ID?

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:08 am

herrhenson wrote:
ok, ill have to try both Alligator Back and Hp 3 in 1! and i have a stupid question. lol what is ID?

Inner Diameter

Submissions: 3

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:52 am

Alligator wrap me thinks is the nicest, yes, but for a beginner might be a bit of a task.
So I'd still recommend hp 3-1.

And herrhenson: We've all thrown our pliers many many times. Joining ends is one of the leading causes for holes in walls and ceilings. As I said before, there are quite many tutorials. Take your time, and if you feel like it, ask silly questions (sometimes they are not so silly).

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 153

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am

kaeru wrote:
Alligator wrap me thinks is the nicest, yes, but for a beginner might be a bit of a task.
So I'd still recommend hp 3-1.

And herrhenson: We've all thrown our pliers many many times. Joining ends is one of the leading causes for holes in walls and ceilings. As I said before, there are quite many tutorials. Take your time, and if you feel like it, ask silly questions (sometimes they are not so silly).

Alligator back is just two strands of HP 3-1 stitched together. It is also easier for wrapping then just one strand as you don't have the fuss of joining a strand of HP 3-1 or forcing on an already joined one. You just make a strand of E 4-1 joined as close to the coin as possible then you just stitch up the HP trim on each side.

Submissions: 35

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:38 pm

kaeru wrote:

I don't recall throwing my pliers, but a slip-st/jab when joining ends is usually inevitable.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:20 pm

I can't say I've never tossed a pair of pliers to the ground in frustration, however tossing them at random is something I can't picture myself doing. There are way to many LCD screens in my apartment for that to be a good idea.

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:35 pm

i have made HP 3 in 1 before, but not a peice longer than an inch though, because i didn't really like how it would lay as a bracelet. i still haven't quite learned all the terms yet lol, i'll have to find some different sized mandrils to experiment with rings for wrapping coins. i'll try both weaves and see which design i think the coin looks better wrapped in Smile

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:36 pm

I really like twilightbanana's coin wrap the best. Very secure, and glue is not necessary to hold the coin in.
http://twilightbanana.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d10qcdv

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next