monthly weave challenge contest: Gridlock Byzantine
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 79

monthly weave challenge contest: Gridlock Byzantine
Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:41 am || Last edited by sakredchao on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

who would be interested in a weave challenge contest?

here is what i was thinking:
pick a weave. people make something composed entirely of that weave (with seams / expansions / etc being perfectly acceptable.)

a group study.

combine all of the entries into an article and post it to the site under the member "mailartisans". determine placement in the article by a vote.. no shields or anything, but winner gets the top spot in the article.

anyone who wants to participate in a past months weave can do so and have their information added to the end.

thoughts? interest?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:41 am

Sounds interesting to me.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 582

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 pm

I would probably get in on that.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 2

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:04 pm

That sounds like something I'd be interested in as well. I'm still relatively new to mail so it'd be a good opportunity to learn new weaves.

My only concern is that I only order rings when I'm planning on making something, and the only rings I have on hand are left overs from major projects. I may not have rings in the correct sizes to do certain weaves. Kind of my problem to deal with, but I felt it warranted mentioning for others who may be in similar situations.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Seems like an excellent way to do a group study.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 pm

Coif Smiley I may be new but I agree it would be a great way to expand my knowledge and have fun while doing it.

Posted on Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:57 am

Gridlock Byzantine

what about this weave?

i've never made it, but iirc, when i saw and felt a piece of it once, it was cooler than the picture gave it credit for.

i may be remembering a different weave, but i seem to think it was this one.

open to alternate suggestions

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:09 am

Wow! Very pretty weave.

Buuuuuut....

if you want it to have any flex at all, I would go with an AR higher than 3.5.

This piece was made with copper rings with a measured AR of 3.5. (1.3mm wire wound around a 4.5mm mandrel. This copper has no springback.) I think I'm gonna make a keychain out of it. Very Happy

I propose we change the ideal AR to something like 3.7 and put the minimum AR at 3.5.

Anyway, this isn't very creative. So someone go make something much more interesting than a stick of Gridlock Byzantine. Coif LoL

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 153

Posted on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 am

You mentioned key chains.

Submissions: 14

Posted on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:12 am

These key chains look great! The pink one is for me - right? Very Happy

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:29 pm

I like the idea... the theme-contest sometimes challanges one to make something you wouldn't make or get ideas you wouldn't have thought about... a contest like this could make this with weaves. And I for myself would really like that.

Posted on Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:35 pm

derailed, tell us some of your experiences working with this weave. what AR(s) are used in the keychains? how much flex? did you try other ARs before deciding on this one?

lorraine, thank you, that is exactly what i was hoping for.

i have a couple of days off, i'm going to make some basic AR fades and then start playing with other AR combinations.

has anyone played with construction techniques? it looks like there may be a couple of ways to put this thing together, besides oraat and "make a ribbon of gridlock". i try to find the method that uses the largest number of closed rings balanced against ease of assembly.

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 pm

The first time I tried this weave, it was too tight, just like above ^^
The second time it was with stainless, two different wires, so springback caused two ring sizes. After playing with it, I realized if I put the bigger ones in the middle and smaller ones as edging the weave had a more robust yet flexible feel to it. I recall ar's 3.6 and 4, but I really can't vouch for this info, it was all years ago.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Submissions: 153

Posted on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 pm

sakredchao wrote:
derailed, tell us some of your experiences working with this weave. what AR(s) are used in the keychains? how much flex? did you try other ARs before deciding on this one?

lorraine, thank you, that is exactly what i was hoping for.

i have a couple of days off, i'm going to make some basic AR fades and then start playing with other AR combinations.

has anyone played with construction techniques? it looks like there may be a couple of ways to put this thing together, besides oraat and "make a ribbon of gridlock". i try to find the method that uses the largest number of closed rings balanced against ease of assembly.

The key chains are two inches long. The colored rings are(inner row) are 18g(1.2mm) 3/16"(4.8mm) anodized aluminum. The outer rows are 18g(1.2mm) supposedly 5/32" but come closer to 11/64"(at 4.3-4.4mm).

The two inch strand can flex to a perfect "C" or half circle if you wish.
ARs of 3.6 and 4.0.

If I recall I chose the two sizes because just using 4.0 caused the weave to be too gappy and loose for my preference as a key chain or bracelet.
My experimentation was limited to that as if I recall to that point I had only used 18g 1/8, 5/32, 3/16 rings in stainless and some 3/16" anodized aluminum period. I had not yet progressed beyond those rings sizes and materials.

Posted on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:59 pm

thanks. i just worked up a 4.45 to 3.65 in 4 steps. i'm about to start working on AR combinations. i have some ideas. watch out, i'm dangerous.

tried sewing 2 chains up the center.. too much paying attention to the spiral in the chains.. so far gridlock + additionals is the easiest for me, but i'm still looking at other ways.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next