The crazy chainmail in Cyborg the movie
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

The crazy chainmail in Cyborg the movie
Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have been trying to figure out a way to make a chain mail vest like Fender had in the movie "Cyborg". So far I have had a few ides but since I am new to making chain mail, I would really like to hear peoples ideas.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Have you come across any pictures that you could link to, so people can get an idea of what you are trying to make?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:24 pm

for everyone who is in touch with the movie as I am (didn't even know about it ^^)
http://cf1.themoviedb.org/backdrops/857/4caad5907b9aa17acb000857/cyborg-original.jpg
http://www.planetpulp.dk/billeder/film/cyborg/cyborg_04_stor.jpg

IMHO it really looks like japanese 4-1, with non-standard-rings; there are some really thick rings (no round wire) and the 'connecting rings' seem to be rectangles.

[I hope it is clear what I mean ^^ the second picture could help - I'm still at work and my brain smokes Coif LoL ]

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Looking at the pictures I'd agree about the J4-1

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:39 pm

to me, from the pics the larger rings look like they could just be PVC pipe cut into say 3/4 inch lengths

Submissions: 8

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

Quote:
to me, from the pics the larger rings look like they could just be PVC pipe cut into say 3/4 inch lengths

I'm inclined to agree with you on this. The larger rings definitely look like a pipe of somesort.

PVC would make sense as it would be low cost compared to a metal piping. Spray paint them silver and there you go.

The connecting rings are looking squarish. The could be something flexible and easy to manipulate. They could possibly be zip-ties, or even really thick twine depending on the budget of the movie. I can't really think of anything else in a mid-high budget range apart from metal rings molded to fit exactly with the larger custom rings.

The J4-1 seems correct as well. I can't see it being anything else.

Movie magic is intended to get the best look possible for the lowest cost possible. The materials I listed would get a similar look for a fraction of the cost for full metal armor.

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:32 am

From these pretty unclear pics, to me it looks similar to Worf's sash in Star Trek (Next Gen), that was discussed here http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=14127&highlight=worf. But without the 'leather' strips and a denser weave.
Seems to be some sort of pipe or other wide flat edged rings, more than likely is a plastic of some sort. And yes appears to be a Japanese construction.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 16

Posted on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 am

@Legba
Now that you say it.... totally forgot about the worf-discussion (found it sometime ago - really liked this thing as a teenager ^^) the similarity is obvious.

The idea it could be pvc pipe seems resonable... at least for the actor, don't want to know how much time he had to spend in this thing (and nearly all productions use plastic for making chainmaille - it is even said that there is a scene in Lord of the Rings where you can see a patch without it's color... ^^).

@alko
If you want to build it, I would strongly suggest to NOT use pvc with color, at least as long as you don't want to build some kind of post-apoc armor (this could look awesome, but then, without color).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1