Using chainmaille to fund a dream
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Using chainmaille to fund a dream
Posted on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

...suddenly, a chance to go to Morocco fell into my lap. With no job, increasing debt and uncertainty for the future...I decided to go for it....even more suddenly, a new idea presented itself: I'm an aspiring filmmaker, Morocco will be beautiful, making a movie would be fabulous - is there some way to make this happen?

YES!!

Ok, that said, here's what I'm looking at: I have 1 month to get out, collect donations in exchange for chainmaille, and purchase film making equipment. Lofty goal? Of course it is! But life wouldn't be fun without a bit of a challenge.

What I'm basically asking from you, fellow maillers, is: suggestions to make this happen, and/or donations to make this happen, and/or connecting to others that could make this happen. Anything and everything is most appreciated!
This is what I've got so far: http://moroccansale.tumblr.com/

Thanks for checking it out!

Submissions: 153

Posted on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 pm

If you are going to solicit using internet sources I suggest you get a free Paypal account so you can easily accept donations. Had I seen such a link I very likely would have tossed a few bucks to you immediately.

If you are looking for advice on what to make to attract sales, or donations then perhaps you can add some info about what resources you have. What sizes, colors, metals, and weaves do you have at your disposal? Are you interested in design suggestions that might encourage donations?

What have you been doing up till now with maille? I am just trying to understand what skill level you work at. It may help with suggestions.

Posted on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I actually do have a Paypal account set up - it's on the blog - but here it is for easy reference: themoroccansale@gmail.com.

I've been making maille now for 10 years - I've made things ranging from shirts (I'm working on one right now for someone), skirts, dresses, belts, ties, inlay, jewelery...the list is inexhaustible (I love keeping my hands busy and take it with me everywhere). Here's what I've shared online of my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enchained-Chainmaille-Creations/60320408372
http://chainpixie.tumblr.com/ (just skip past some of the writing...and be sure to check out the 1000 paper crane mobile I made using chainmaille...)

The weaves I know: Euro 4-in-1, 6-in-1, 8-in-1, box, round, byzantine, dragon scale, dragon's tail, byzantine, spiral, persian 4-in-1 and 6-in-1...ermm...the list goes on...Smile

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Submissions: 153

Posted on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Cici wrote:
I actually do have a Paypal account set up - it's on the blog - but here it is for easy reference: themoroccansale@gmail.com.

I've been making maille now for 10 years - I've made things ranging from shirts (I'm working on one right now for someone), skirts, dresses, belts, ties, inlay, jewelery...the list is inexhaustible (I love keeping my hands busy and take it with me everywhere). Here's what I've shared online of my work: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enchained-Chainmaille-Creations/60320408372
http://chainpixie.tumblr.com/ (just skip past some of the writing...and be sure to check out the 1000 paper crane mobile I made using chainmaille...)

The weaves I know: Euro 4-in-1, 6-in-1, 8-in-1, box, round, byzantine, dragon scale, dragon's tail, byzantine, spiral, persian 4-in-1 and 6-in-1...ermm...the list goes on...Smile

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Ok, that is an email address not a Paypal link.

You obviously have the skills needed to make whatever you want. I see little need to suggest how you make money with completed pieces. If you have the resources to do show, and events then you have the talent to make the needed stock.

I will continue with suggestions for the donation method.

If you are seeking donations you want to keep the offerings very simple, inexpensive, and attractive. I would suggest choosing a few unit weaves that make for nice pendants, or charms. Also portions of weaves make decent charms as well. Basically anything that might make an earring can be a pendant, or charm. I suggest avoiding earrings as you need findings, and need them in pairs. Even diamond swatches if e 4-1 are great.

Spend a night or two making as much as you can so you won't be sitting empty while soliciting. Lay out the examples in an appealing way. Even if you can get an empty cardboard box, and some cloth to throw over it.
Have some clear signage explaining the items are for donations.

If you have a cell phone that holds pictures, or some actual photos of your work keep them on hand. You never know when you get interest in selling a bigger piece. Wearing some examples of bigger pieces can help too, even if you look like you have more bling then a rapper.

Posted on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 am

I'm not sure how to post a Paypal link...?

In any event, thank you very much for the feedback. Things are all coming together...except the weather. Hasn't cooperated in the way that I need to be able to go out and show off my skills. Ah well. All in good time. :S

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1