Newbie Introduction & Induction (Part the 2nd)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:11 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello everyone! I'm very new to chain maille but not to jewelry making. I promised my husband a bracelet for Christmas this year and decided the only thing to make that would be masculine enough would be maille. I've ordered the rings to make a round maille bracelet and can't wait for them to arrive!

Now I'm obsessed. I've spent the week immersed in this and other sites reading tips for noobs, the best weaves for noobs, etc. My arms, shoulders and neck are sore from practicing with the rings I have on hand. But - I love the intricacy of the work and am looking forward to learning and incorporating maille into my jewelry making skills repertoire.

Toodles!
Cheryl

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Well, welcome to the club. Feel free to ask any questions and i'm sure someone will answer them. From what I've seen, there's a lot of talent in this forum.

Posted on Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:20 pm

I was up at midnight last night trying to master the aura weave - I was gonna' make a quick pair of earrings Laughing Boy was I ever wrong but my brain was in hyperdrive and I couldn't sleep!

Got a friend here at work who looked at the tutorial with me (he's a metal puzzle geek) and he helped me figure it out and now I can't wait to get home and try it!

Submissions: 4

Posted on Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow, I'm surprised you became obsessed just from ordering the rings (and obviously looking up the design). Most of us need to at least work with the rings first. Laughing

Well, anyways, welcome to the addiction. Be sure to provide us with any pics of your pieces when you complete them.

Submissions: 6

I'm really new to all this!
Posted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 am

Hi I'm from Washington (not DC). I just got into MAIL the other day when I was doing some early Christmas shopping for my mom and saw a Byzantine chain for over $200 for just sterling silver. I was floored. As I zoomed in on the image I looked at the pattern and thought it should be something that I could make. I searched through the internet and saw the amazing CG and tutorials on this site - sacrificed a few paperclips which I made into rings by wrapping them around a pencil then cut them....I followed the directions and made a couple repetitions of the Byzantine weave. From that moment on I was hooked! I went straight to the first decent looking site I could find to order (ringlord) and got enough for a couple necklaces. Then I couldn't wait for them to make and ship my order so the next day I went to JoAnn and bought some of their junky rings and made myself a bracelet in the byzantine weave. Unfortunately the aspect ratio was WAY too big and its super floppy, but for a first try I'm thrilled.

In about 5 days I should receive my first order from ringlord. I think I will likely be doing mostly jewlery, but after I do my first byzantine necklace I think I will try a japanese cube like is on the blue buddha botique http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/supplies/instruction/view.php?id=cube

I'm super excited to join in a craft that has so many creative and talented individuals as I've seen in my viewing of these forums.

Posted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 am

i guess i can claim newbie status though I've been doing this solidly for 3 years and have been teaching it for 2...um i"m 19 and have never in my time making maille found a weave that i couldn't figure out with a little time...oh and yes on top of teaching i sold one of my first pieces to my teacher...thanks to phong and cgmaille for the pattern

Posted on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

Quote:
I'm super excited to join in a craft that has so many creative and talented individuals as I've seen in my viewing of these forums.

Absolutely agree with that statement. I think I would have been too overwhelmed to try without the great tutorials and the talented folks who don't mind sharing the love!

Got my rings from TLR, started working Saturday night & I'm almost finished with the roundmaille bracelet I'm making for hubby. I'll post a pic as soon as it's finished.

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:40 am

Hello everyone

I'm Nadine.

Posted on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Ello everyone. I been working with chain mail for five years, I been making my own rings for three. I mostly make jewelry but working my way up to some armour. I pretty much came here to learn.

Posted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello Nadine and zingaro!

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Welcome zingaro and Nadine!! We are glad to have you join us and if you ever have any questions feel free to ask. We are a fairly amiable group around here.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:13 am

I've been lurking these forums for a few months, and have been registered on the TRL forums for a little while new, and after suggestions from members there (a.k.a. Konstantin Razz ) I've finally registered on here: So, if nobody will mind, I think I'll essentially just copy my intro from over there Coif Smiley

I'm a senior in high school, been making chainmail/mail/maille on a more casual level for two or so years, just basic things like jewelry, loose chains, and swatches. Lots of swatches. However, in the past few months I've been getting more into it, and have made a little back-of-the-hand cover thingymajigger (handflower, I believe they're called?), and I just completed my first coif.

I am entirely too ambitious, and have literally dozens of projects planned out on paper (everything: patterns, # of rings, cost), but end up doing only select few

Posted on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi everyone! My name is Leeksoup, and I'm recently addicted to making maille.

About a month ago I decided to make a costume for next year's Comic-Con. Part of the costume was a mail haubergeon, and since I couldn't afford to just buy one, I figured I'd make it. But to make sure I actually could, I ordered just one bag of galvy from TRL- 600 rings. I immediately wove them all in two days and ordered more. I'm hooked.

I might not post too much, but I wanted to say hi anyway. Very Happy

Posted on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Quote:
But to make sure I actually could, I ordered just one bag of galvy from TRL- 600 rings. I immediately wove them all in two days and ordered more. I'm hooked.

And therein lies the rub - waiting on the orders! Not dissing TLR at all, as I love them! The wait kills me and I'm wearing a path to the mailbox!

Posted on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:25 pm

You know, I don't actually find the wait that bad... what I really wish they would do better is announce when they'll be getting their "Out of Stock" items in. 18g 1/4" Black Ice Ano. Alumn. has been out for months... only seen it in stock once and it's very nice ring for doing Full Persian 6-1. If they posted a production schedule I'd be very happy... maybe they have a suggestion box.

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 90. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 88, 89, 90  Next