Shipping to Canada
View previous topic | View next topic >
Post new topic Reply to topic
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat
   
Author Message

Joined: March 27, 2009
Posts: 1015
Submissions: 4
Location: Southeastern Minnesota

Shipping to Canada
Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:47 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have an item on eBay and a potential customer asked about shipping to Canada. I order from TRL all the time, but I don't think I've actually ever shipped anything across the border.

My question to you all is what do I need to know about shipping to Canada? I'm sure shipping costs will be higher, but do I need to take customs (or something of that sort) into account?

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Re: Shipping to Canada
Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:58 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Vorondil wrote:
I have an item on eBay and a potential customer asked about shipping to Canada. I order from TRL all the time, but I don't think I've actually ever shipped anything across the border.

My question to you all is what do I need to know about shipping to Canada? I'm sure shipping costs will be higher, but do I need to take customs (or something of that sort) into account?


Shipping shouldn't be THAT much higher...

You'll need a Customs Decleration Form, it's a little sticker that says what's in the package, and how much it's worth... You can pick them up at your local post office.



Joined: December 22, 2007
Posts: 4610
Submissions: 106
Location: Hampton, Virginia USA

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Yep, it's a USPS Customs Form 2976.
http://webapps.usps.com/customsforms/sender_recipient.jsp
There's a shipping calculator too.
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatepostage/welcome.htm?from=home_header&page=calculatepostage


"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:00 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Never use USPS to ship anything of value to Canada. Always use UPS or FedEX. If the buyer balks, too bad for them.
The signature confirmation is a must when going through ebay. Otherwise you have no proof that they received it, so when a month later they start a dispute, you have no recourse and are forced to give a refund.

I dont know what it is with canadian buyers on ebay, but as I seller I no longer ship to canada. Too many bad transactions where the buyer received the item (left feedback about it too) and then went on to file a dispute for a refund because "item never showed up". Unless you have proof of delivery, ebay will always side with the buyer and you are out both the money and the item.

I sell and ship hundreds of items a month through ebay, all over the world; Canada is the only country I've ever had problems with. Rolling Eyes


Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Martin wrote:
Never use USPS to ship anything of value to Canada. Always use UPS or FedEX. If the buyer balks, too bad for them.
The signature confirmation is a must when going through ebay. Otherwise you have no proof that they received it, so when a month later they start a dispute, you have no recourse and are forced to give a refund.


If you ship via UPS, expect to get pissed off buyers who don't like having a $40 brokerage fee dumped on them at the border, since UPS uses its own Broker company, unless told otherwise (without giving the person on the receiving end the option), and passes the 'savings' on to the recipient.

I can't speak for FedEx.

If you want the buyer to respect you, and your decision to cover your ass, use USPS with Tracking and Signature. Also, insure it. Feel free to pass these costs onto the buyer. Us Canada-folk are all aware of the trouble packages crossing the Canada/US border cause, and we'll do just about anything to avoid UPS.

Martin wrote:
I dont know what it is with canadian buyers on ebay, but as I seller I no longer ship to canada. Too many bad transactions where the buyer received the item (left feedback about it too) and then went on to file a dispute for a refund because "item never showed up". Unless you have proof of delivery, ebay will always side with the buyer and you are out both the money and the item.

I sell and ship hundreds of items a month through ebay, all over the world; Canada is the only country I've ever had problems with. Rolling Eyes


Seriously, consider this a warning.

I can only imagine the dren-storm that would come down on someone making the same generalization about US buyers.

In my eyes, this is the same as a racist comment, and will not be tolerated. And no, that's not because I'm Canadian... Because I'm not... I'm a Brit, I just happen to live here.



Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:06 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Had I made the same statement about Nigerian buyers, nobody would complain as its the scam capital of the world. Rolling Eyes
I am just explaining my personal situation and dealings. I'm not saying all Canadians are scammers; just that in my experience on ebay, I have dealt with lots of them that are. On MAIL, my website, other forums, no problems at all. Its only eBay I've had problems with.

Anyways, if there was some form of USPS tracking and signature confirmation that worked in canada, I would use it. But it simply doesnt exist. Canadians mailing items to the US have access to all the services the USPS has. But sending stuff from the US to Canada is quite different. Once it reaches the border its in a black hole for all the USPS is concerned.

The only thing thats even close is registered mail, but thats $11 extra and can only be used for small items. I have never had delivery issues when using that, but most people arent willing to pay $15 in postage to ship a $5 item. If there was a cost effective alternative I'd use it, but there isnt.


Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Martin wrote:
The only thing thats even close is registered mail, but thats $11 extra and can only be used for small items. I have never had delivery issues when using that, but most people arent willing to pay $15 in postage to ship a $5 item. If there was a cost effective alternative I'd use it, but there isnt.


They'd be willing to pay that $15 to avoid a hidden $40 smack from UPS at the border, trust me.
Educate the buyer.

Martin wrote:
Anyways, if there was some form of USPS tracking and signature confirmation that worked in canada, I would use it. But it simply doesnt exist. Canadians mailing items to the US have access to all the services the USPS has. But sending stuff from the US to Canada is quite different. Once it reaches the border its in a black hole for all the USPS is concerned.


Consider Priority Mail International, this is what I ask any seller in the US to ship to me with.
http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm
Coupled with Insurance and a Return Receipt, your ass is covered.
Any package shipped this way is tracked, and scanned by the carrier (lovely little handheld devices) at time of delivery, or, depending on size, at postal outlet pickup.

Specify that these are your terms for Canadian shipping, and are non-negotiable. If they don't want to buy, they won't bid.

Martin wrote:
Had I made the same statement about Nigerian buyers, nobody would complain as its the scam capital of the world.
I am just explaining my personal situation and dealings. I'm not saying all Canadians are scammers; just that in my experience on ebay, I have dealt with lots of them that are.


The difference being one is a generalization rooted in 'your own experience' the other is a well known and publicized legal issue.
I'm not here to argue semantics, just call it as I see it.



Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Consider Priority Mail International, this is what I ask any seller in the US to ship to me with.
http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-international-prices.htm
Coupled with Insurance and a Return Receipt, your ass is covered.


Have you personally received packages from the US that have a return receipt on them? Every time I ask about "what can I do to track this? any proof of delivery?" I am told by every postal employee, "Its Canada, you're SOL. Unless its registered or Overnight, nothing we can do." Rolling Eyes


Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Joined: August 30, 2008
Posts: 3141
Submissions: 20
Location: Burlington, ON, Canada

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Martin wrote:
Have you personally received packages from the US that have a return receipt on them? Every time I ask about "what can I do to track this? any proof of delivery?" I am told by every postal employee, "Its Canada, you're SOL. Unless its registered or Overnight, nothing we can do." Rolling Eyes


Yes, I have.

You probably want to avoid getting your postal advice from counter workers...

If the USPS Website lists it as viable, I'd put even money on it not just being people shipping to me who can purchase this service...
I mean, I know I'm well loved and all... But I dont think it goes so far as USPS offering things just for me Coif LoL

Go surf: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_003.htm
It lays the fees out nicely, and you'll find Return Receipt listed at the very bottom.

If your postal employee's really are as dumb as you're making them out to sound, I suggest printing out this page, and taking it with you.



Joined: March 30, 2005
Posts: 9
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Daemon is right, Martin. We ship to Canada every day just that way. *s*

-- Aislyn
Urban Maille

Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Then the local USPS folks at the counter are clearly idiots. Rolling Eyes

Joined: March 30, 2005
Posts: 9
Submissions: 0

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

It's been our experience that the level of knowledge amongst postal employees varies *widely*. There are some who are great, know everything and will jump through hoops to help you and then there are those won't lift a finger and some who'll lie right to your face just to make you go away. It's just like the DMV and for the same reason.

If you don't have someone good in your own post office, just go to the next one and the next one until you find someone who knows everything. And once you know how to do what you need to do, you can train your own postal people. It's a lot of trouble at first but once it's done, it's so much easier for people outside the US to buy from you, it's really worth the trouble. *s*

-- Aislyn
Urban Maille

Joined: March 11, 2010
Posts: 115
Submissions: 9
Location: NOLA

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:25 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Canadians are well aware of the brokerage fees from both UPS and FedEx. I for one will turn down large savings from some sites because they won't ship USPS. It does make things more difficult, but with USPS i know the total I am told is the full extent of the charges and I can make an informed decision then and there.

Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

But I've already done that, thats the kicker. I've visited a dozen branches around here, and had received the same answer from all of them. Even the few knowledgeable ones I;ve run across have said that registered is the only way.
Guess I'll have to print out the mail manual and show them.


Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Joined: January 29, 2005
Posts: 674
Submissions: 0
Location: St. Paul, MN

Reply with quote
Posted on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:29 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

So apparently you're not giving me the whole story as to what you're shipping this way.
I tried to send a package to canada using this way, and I was told that it only applies to Priority Mail items with $200+ insurance on them.(About $7 on top of the normal postage)

When it comes to sending small & cheap items ($20), it appears tracking/delivery/proof is still not available.

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next
All times are GMT. The time now is Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:55 pm
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat
Display posts from previous: