Suggestion to (slightly) redesign the weave pages
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 22

Suggestion to (slightly) redesign the weave pages
Posted on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Proposed changes:
1) Moving the name of the submitter and the date into the weave description.
This way, it would be dead clear what belongs to them, and looks less like they own the weave.
It would also make it easier to add a second description or comments not related to the original submitter.
2) Adding a "related weaves" section.
It could be filled automatically by searching the weave's name in other weaves' descriptions.
3) Adding a "featured gallery image" bellow the original image.
Typically, that would be for weaves having a not so great image.
4) Adding an alternate description or editor's notes section.
Sometimes it could be useful to summary some discussions from the forum to help understand the weave.

Mock-up for 1 & 2, based on Snake Skin
https://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Shirluban/media/MAIL%20weave%20lib%20suggestion.png.html

This thread is about a general, an hopefully light, weave library redesign. Please don't start digressions on specific weaves.

Submissions: 33

Posted on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:34 am

I support This 100%.

Total Nerd: MScDS, Mailler, Gamer.

Submissions: 582

Posted on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:46 pm

I wonder what changes to the way the weave pages are displayed are already planned for the shift to MAIL 3.0.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 42

Posted on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 pm

I don't want to step on any plans for 3.0, but I do like the idea and format.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 28

Posted on Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:22 am

I know there's a handful of weaves with "editors notes" for weave theory threads. And inside those threads, a lot of them have "related weaves". I'm happy enough with those, but then again... I might be biased.

I like the idea of having "related weaves", but also think that it could get quite messy. 2-1 chain is by technically related to pretty much all weaves, but contributes little information to them. Some lists might also get long (I'm looking at you "elf" and "byz" -weaves).

I don't want to divert the conversation, but we already have a "Modification" tag. I'd like a section/link pointing to what it modifies (+maybe a link on the root page?).

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Let's see...

1) The eventual goal is to "archive" the entire original submission "In Situ" and allow additional content surrounding it. Part of this will include movement of the "Submitted By" to a less prominent location.

2) Related weaves is a sticky subject... And open to a certain amount of interpretation. Narrina was, at one point, working towards a "family tree" of sorts... This, sadly, didn't come to pass...
It would be WONDERFUL to see a "Community Project" of sorts perhaps work towards this sort of goal.

3) Mmmm... Again, the eventual goal is to have "Additional" or "Normalized" images (possibly even with users able to "set" the preferred display image) shown prominently on the weave pages. (See #1)

4) Yes

--

Another goal, once I'm able to update the (ancient) forum software is to create a "Topic Page per Weave", and link these to each Weave page... Allowing discussion below the weave ON the page, without needing to navigate TO the forums. (While also keeping these discussion visible IN the forums) -- These will require specific moderation guidelines, and likely also some "thread trimming" from time to time.

--

I'm also moving this topic to the Requests forum. Smile

Posted on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Let's see...

1) The eventual goal is to "archive" the entire original submission "In Situ" and allow additional content surrounding it. Part of this will include movement of the "Submitted By" to a less prominent location.

2) Related weaves is a sticky subject... And open to a certain amount of interpretation. Narrina was, at one point, working towards a "family tree" of sorts... This, sadly, didn't come to pass...
It would be WONDERFUL to see a "Community Project" of sorts perhaps work towards this sort of goal.

3) Mmmm... Again, the eventual goal is to have "Additional" or "Normalized" images (possibly even with users able to "set" the preferred display image) shown prominently on the weave pages. (See #1)

4) Yes

--

Another goal, once I'm able to update the (ancient) forum software is to create a "Topic Page per Weave", and link these to each Weave page... Allowing discussion below the weave ON the page, without needing to navigate TO the forums. (While also keeping these discussion visible IN the forums) -- These will require specific moderation guidelines, and likely also some "thread trimming" from time to time.

--

2) a family tree is very hard as long as we have weaves in the library that are not up to modern standards. Furthermore, some weaves are using different protoweaves, but similar finishing techniques. Gridlock Byzantine and Byzee Beez to Butterflies are an example. See the current weave study topic.

3) Oh god, I’d set it to normalisera as fast as I could!

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Karpeth wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Let's see...

4) Yes

--

--

2) a family tree is very hard as long as we have weaves in the library that are not up to modern standards. Furthermore, some weaves are using different protoweaves, but similar finishing techniques. Gridlock Byzantine and Byzee Beez to Butterflies are an example. See the current weave study topic.

3) Oh god, I’d set it to normalisera as fast as I could!

Correct. It’s less of a “family tree” and more of an “overgrown shrub”

Submissions: 582

Posted on Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 am

I could probably put together a chainmail weave family tree, but if I did, several items found in the MAIL library would have to be omitted.

Maybe next decade.

There is no such thing as weave ownership. If someone produces a weave sample, they own that physical piece of mail, but not rights to the weave pattern itself.
Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:14 am

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
I could probably put together a chainmail weave family tree, but if I did, several items found in the MAIL library would have to be omitted.

Maybe next decade.

A family tree for Maille Would be very hard, since you can arrive at Some weaves in several ways.

I learned box ”the flip way”, others ”the Stitch.” Is it E4-1 pseudoTube or is it unbolted Byzantine?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1