Tailcoat patterns
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Tailcoat patterns
Posted on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi. I'm a newbie to this site and to chainmail, but I was wondering if anybody could give me tips or a pattern or something on how to make a mail tailcoat?

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:07 pm

few questions first.

1) what matiral are you looking at/for?
2) Fancy or normal?
3) How long is the intended coat to be worn?

1: material is a big question here. aluminum will be nice for thw weight reduction but to to durable in smaller gauges so the tade off is minimal (see my profile for a 12g aluminum coat weighing 25lbs) In stead you could use a smaller stainless and get better duability at same weight.

2: by that i mean is to to be used as formal ware or do you mean more like a trench?

3)time to be worn might effect you material choses weight over comfort eta.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 am

If somebody's asking for a tailcoat, I'd say novelty prom wear is what's under discussion. Corinne, welcome and well come, and there's such a thing as being too terse and reticent. Feel free to dish.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 am

XD Thank you for replies.
Well, I'm in a sculpture class at my college and in the course of deciding on what I wanted my project to consist of, I realized that I could make something out of chainmail. I've always wanted some sort of mail clothing item and this is as good an excuse as any to do it.

I've seen characters like Cassie from Skins and Push wear tailcoats, the kind that aren't very fancy but still look really awesome. I don't know about materials but I would suppose something light-weight but durable.

Like I said, I don't really know all that much about this stuff, but I looked into a few sites as well as this one and saw that there were all kinds of ways to link mail up, so my original thought of treating it like fabric and making a long sheet then disconnecting links at the appropriate areas seems kind of moot. And unattractive.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1